Yearling bull fertility

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
What % of bull calves are fertile at 12 months old? Brangus/angus cross, high libido since about 9 months old, but last blood test 30 days after witnessed "breeding" was negative ( he would have been 11 months at time of breeding). I only need him for 3, AI was terrible last year…

I would think it would be more about physical ability than fertility. At a year old he should be fine on fertility if he can get the job done. Other folks on here know a lot more than I do . We left a 12 month old with 4 yearling heifers . So far we have 2 calves on the ground and the other 2 are definitely bred . He is brangus /angus cross .

I would also think they should be fertile at a year.
I've turned year old bulls out a few times to breed just a few. Depending on the size of the individual and size of cows, there could be some physical issues.
I once turned out in a pinch a 10 month old Charolais bull and got calves by him. It was just a limited use as I don't want to expect too much of a young bull

What % of bull calves are fertile at 12 months old? Brangus/angus cross, high libido since about 9 months old, but last blood test 30 days after witnessed "breeding" was negative ( he would have been 11 months at time of breeding). I only need him for 3, AI was terrible last year…
Did you take hit to a vet and get him tested?

His main problem would be his technique but they grow into the job pretty fast.

Ken
He seems to have perfected his technique from the few episodes I witnessed, I'll draw blood again in a couple weeks. @Brute 23 -vet won't do a BSE until 15 months.."not likely to pass at 12 months". Not many large animal options around to do vet shopping. I guess a good note is that the girls haven't seemed to be cycling. I may have just drawn blood too early.

He seems to have perfected his technique from the few episodes I witnessed, I'll draw blood again in a couple weeks. @Brute 23 -vet won't do a BSE until 15 months.."not likely to pass at 12 months". Not many large animal options around to do vet shopping. I guess a good note is that the girls haven't seemed to be cycling. I may have just drawn blood too early.
My vet is same way.
Gotta be 14 15 months and of good size.
Scrotal MUST be larger than 32 I think.

That being said, if ya have a sale barn nearby, they will semen test him no matter what he looks like.

My vet is same way.
Gotta be 14 15 months and of good size.
Scrotal MUST be larger than 32 I think.

That being said, if ya have a sale barn nearby, they will semen test him no matter what he looks like.
For 3 cows scrotal measurement not an issue.

About 30 years ago, I had some long yearling Corr steers heifers in a pasture, It was a 15 acre bermuda hayfield, with a pole barn on it, that I would put that hay in every time I baled it. I put those heifers and steers in it in November after the season was over. My intention was to breed the heifers in March, and sel the steers for dogging steers to a producer. This place was 30 minutes from my house. Man next door, single man with 2 little kids, had bought two Jeresy bottle calves that spring, about March or April. I would let him get hay to feed his calves that he had in about an acre lot , in exchange for keeping my hay feeder full. One day when I was out there I told him he ought to just put his 2 Jerseys in my pasture, and they could eat free choice hay like mine did. I thought he had a steer and a heifer calf. Just assumed it. Well, it wasn't a steer, ..he had never cut or banded it. So, he would have been 7-8 months old that November. I was over there in January, when I saw the little son of a gun breeding one of my heifers! I figured he was just riding her, like you see steers do sometimes. Or other heifers. He would have been 10- months old at best then. Heck no...I ended up with six of them bred! Nothing more worthless than a Jer X Corr steer calf. I got 3 of each. The Corr x Jer heifers I just kept to breed with. I had already started breeding Corrs to black polled bulls to get team penning/sorting cattle, so that's what I used these for, eventually. Those steer calves just went to the practice pen for tie-down roping. They were nearly two before they had enough horn for team roping.
And on one of my Update threads, I told about a 8-9 month old Gyr bull getting a cow in calf.

Last edited:
If you put him in at a good 12 mths of age, by the time you start scratching your head about whether he did the job or not he is pretty close to that 14-15 mth of age. As I said previously, they grow into the job and pretty quickly too, and the process of working the cows, sniffing and licking puts hairs on their chests too.

Ken

Update-he is now 14 months old-I witnessed the full Monty breeding of a 2 year old heifer-streaming, slime, draining-the whole 9-on 3/22. Had not had any signs that a 4 year cow has been cycling, so assumed she has been bred, but tonight witnessed heifer is trying to mount the cow. Heifer is FAT on grass-she will be in the freezer if blood test is negative in 2 weeks. I'm AI'ing bull calf's dam with sync protocol starting next weekend.
Remember-super small herd. I should probably draw blood on younger cow this week to see if still open-if so, give her one more AI shot in case bull was shooting blanks.
As much as I like the heifer-she missed AI last year, if she is still open after being with the bull for 60 days with several witnessed breedings, I'm probably going to blame her (and her fat). Bull leaves regardless probably about July or August-I'll pick up a heavy bred cow instead. His dam usually sticks AI (unless she doesn't 🙄).
Reasonable plan?

Latest posts