New bull time

Help Support CattleToday:

Very common in some breeds to keep the name on the maternal line. Some go back decades.

To answer your other question the America bull that is listed as the paternal grand sire is the one all the fuss was made about. Seems like he faded out of the limelight pretty quick, which is what happens with heavily promoted bulls 99% of the time.
Thank you for clarifying for me! I was sure curious. Got a peek today but couldn't get em to move around much. Attaching a pic below. Neither are sway backed. Both good looking animals! If I get there early enough tomorrow I'll get another pic or two. They really do look good.
Sounds like you are going up market a bit Murray.

Ken
I may not buy tomorrow!
There is another sale May 10th or so. And I don't have a place to keep a bull until I need one, end of May. We will see. If the America bull goes reasonable enough I may just have to figure something out.
20240321_125025.jpg
They have half a dozen charolais bulls as well. But I don't like em as much as these guys

Murray if you want baldies I would stick with the Angus/Hereford Baldy. Here they top the market. I get asked if our baldies are the Hereford/Angus cross. They bring more dollars than our straight Angus. There is a good demand for the baldy heifers as replacements. Many only want baldy heifers and pay a premium. I have friends that are buyers, feedlot mangers and barn owners. All have advised me too stay with the Angus/Hereford baldy. That is one reason if I buy a Simmi he will be solid black.
As too Black Herefords I haven't seen one I would use in our herd. They are a cross not a Hereford.
We tried Gelveigh. Lost frame. He was from the Kansas genetics mentioned on this thread. Docility was bad. We will likely never try them again. Don't know their genetics good enough too avoid issues.
There are plenty of options with Angus. Hope you find what works for you.

Murray if you want baldies I would stick with the Angus/Hereford Baldy. Here they top the market. I get asked if our baldies are the Hereford/Angus cross. They bring more dollars than our straight Angus. There is a good demand for the baldy heifers as replacements. Many only want baldy heifers and pay a premium. I have friends that are buyers, feedlot mangers and barn owners. All have advised me too stay with the Angus/Hereford baldy. That is one reason if I buy a Simmi he will be solid black.
As too Black Herefords I haven't seen one I would use in our herd. They are a cross not a Hereford.
We tried Gelveigh. Lost frame. He was from the Kansas genetics mentioned on this thread. Docility was bad. We will likely never try them again. Don't know their genetics good enough too avoid issues.
There are plenty of options with Angus. Hope you find what works for you.
Actually there are Black Herefords that are 7/8th, 5/16ths, and more...Hereford. As much or more Hereford, as pb Simms are Simm. To be a registered Black Hereford, it must be 5/8ths or more Hereford, and 3/8ths or less Angus.

You are right about the black baldies. A black baldy is... or has been since I was a boy 60 years ago....1/2 Angus and 1/2 Herford. But people will call any bwf cattle a black baldy these days. People will call a Brah x Angus or other black cattle a Brangus, too. Or a Brah x Hereford a Braford.

And yes, I see it every week...black baldy cows, heifers, steers and calves selling for the same price as the same quality Angus do. A man today brought ten 3 and 4 yr old registered Angus, 8 mos bred to a reg Angus bull, and they brought $2600-$2900. He had two 3 yr old black baldies out of his reg Angus cows, also 8 months bred to his Reg Angus bull, and they brought $2800 and $2875..more than some of the reg Angus cows did. People love black baldies down here.

A black baldy is... or has been since I was a boy 60 years ago....1/2 Angus and 1/2 Herford. But people will call any bwf cattle a black baldy these days. People will call a Brah x Angus or other black cattle a Brangus, too. Or a Brah x Hereford a Braford.
Black is a color and baldy is a color pattern. It has nothing to do with breeds other than Hereford throws white faces. But you can get a baldy from Simmental too, just like you can get a black calf from one. And you can get a black baldy from a Holstein crossed with a white faced breed.

I called my breeder this morning and told him I needed a new heifer bull. Can't wait to see what he delivers this time! I did ask how the Chisolm Trail sale went and he said a lot of the bulls went for $5500 - the market is up. Pound for pound, I should make a killing off Willy when I sell him because he now clocks in at a solid 2400. That's a lot of burger!