New bull time

Help Support CattleToday:

If the second bull looks better in person with a more level top line and can walk I would prefer him on cows to the top bull. Looking at Angus sale averages, they have been bringing good money (>$5000).
I haven't seen any over 3500 to 3800 at these 2 sales.

But things are getting weirder every week!

Thanks again!

If the second bull looks better in person with a more level top line and can walk I would prefer him on cows to the top bull. Looking at Angus sale averages, they have been bringing good money (>$5000).
Watched one online Mondaay, and the top selling bull was $400,000.00. These past 2 months or so, there have been a dozen production sales a day on dvauctions. The Angus top sellers always bring more than those of other breeds, by a wide margin. Most any breed, will have 1 or 2 for for $10k or more, then a few more at more than $5k, but as the auction progesses, a lot of good bulls are sold at $2k to $4k. Even reg angus.

3 production sales in KS today on dvauctions. All 3 started at 2PM Eastern. Red Angus, Gelbeiv & Balancer, and Angus. Most all in the red angus sale were $3k to $5k, same with the Gelbvieh and Balancers. Al but one were black, and announced as homo for black and polled. Most of the balancers were 3/4 or more Angus. The Angus sale prices were 2-3 times that. Unless you are raising registered seed stock, for a commercial herd, I believe I would have bought bulls at the Gelb- Balan sale.

3 production sales in KS today on dvauctions. All 3 started at 2PM Eastern. Red Angus, Gelbeiv & Balancer, and Angus. Most all in the red angus sale were $3k to $5k, same with the Gelbvieh and Balancers. Al but one were black, and announced as homo for black and polled. Most of the balancers were 3/4 or more Angus. The Angus sale prices were 2-3 times that. Unless you are raising registered seed stock, for a commercial herd, I believe I would have bought bulls at the Gelb- Balan sale.
My best friends dad just bought a homo polled Gelbvieh for $4850, which included delivery. That's the most he's ever spent on a bull, even when he bought from the Judd Ranch.

My best friends dad just bought a homo polled Gelbvieh for $4850, which included delivery. That's the most he's ever spent on a bull, even when he bought from the Judd Ranch.
Bought a new bull out of Kansas to pick up in may that is a Judd ranch (trade secret) background. First look at the Gelbvieh breed so looking forward to seeing red calves next year

Bought a new bull out of Kansas to pick up in may that is a Judd ranch (trade secret) background. First look at the Gelbvieh breed so looking forward to seeing red calves next year
Their Gelbvieh bulls are pretty docile and easy to work but some of them are homo black. I think you'll like the calves. Congrats! And if you're near Winfield when you're picking him up, give me a heads up!

Their Gelbvieh bulls are pretty docile and easy to work but some of them are homo black. I think you'll like the calves. Congrats! And if you're near Winfield when you're picking him up, give me a heads up!
I'll surely try thank you. This one is red, I'd like to see a red herd in a few years. Purchased 2 yearling heifers also

Here's some info on the 2 above bulls.
Looks like one has SAV America in his breeding. Is that THE America bull everyone was so excited about a while back?
Screenshot_20240319-210653_Samsung Internet.jpgScreenshot_20240319-210645_Samsung Internet.jpg
I'm going early to get as much info as I can on him and see him in person. Absolutely has to be docile. I don't play those games. I respect em, but want no nonsense too!

Last edited:
I'm chuckling at the 2 versions of Cowboy Up in back to back generations on that second bull, and the Lucy's too. Not super imaginative with naming apparently….

I'm chuckling at the 2 versions of Cowboy Up in back to back generations on that second bull, and the Lucy's too. Not super imaginative with naming apparently….
I keep the cow family name the same through each generation. Rita, Blackbird, Pride, Blackcap, Enchantress, etc. Each one is a separate cow family. Some breeders put the name of the sire into the cow name, which I think makes a mess. I have gone back a couple generations to find the original cow line name and picked up the name again on replacement daughters.

Bulls usually get the same name as the sire for ease in keeping straight who is who. A couple of my herd sires I raised got an original name.

I keep the cow family name the same through each generation. Rita, Blackbird, Pride, Blackcap, Enchantress, etc. Each one is a separate cow family. Some breeders put the name of the sire into the cow name, which I think makes a mess. I have gone back a couple generations to find the original cow line name and picked up the name again on replacement daughters.

Bulls usually get the same name as the sire for ease in keeping straight who is who. A couple of my herd sires I raised got an original name.
That naming thing really confuses me. Same name different number following the name???

That's why I was curious if the Sav America bull that everyone was super excited about was the one in this bulls ancestry.

Hmmm

That naming thing really confuses me. Same name different number following the name???

That's why I was curious if the Sav America bull that everyone was super excited about was the one in this bulls ancestry.

Hmmm
I have my original Rita cow Rita 0227 born in 2010 (still here by the way and should be calving in a week or so) then several daughters Rita 527 (2015), Rita 627 (2016), Rita 722 (2017). Then the daughters have daughters and granddaughters in the herd Rita 862 (2018), Rita 962 (2019), etc. The first digit is the year born. last count there are 13 cows named Rita that are in the herd including and starting with the old Rita 0227.

Very common in some breeds to keep the name on the maternal line. Some go back decades.

To answer your other question the America bull that is listed as the paternal grand sire is the one all the fuss was made about. Seems like he faded out of the limelight pretty quick, which is what happens with heavily promoted bulls 99% of the time.

Latest posts