Why do people dump dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Farm Fence Solutions":c24fo6o6 said:
Gotta watch them pit bulls......Vicious killers, they are!

If I had a pic of my niece I'd show you what one did to her, not to mention one of hte mail carriers last month.

TB there are several breeds a lot of homeowners insurance companies won't cover your liability on.
Pit and Rotts are both on that list with about 6 or 7 others

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of mean ones out there, and they are built to kill. That said, we have to bust up more fights with the bay dogs than we do the catch dogs. For the most part, unless you're a pig, they just aren't aggressive at all. My wife has a Min Pin that is meaner than any big dog we've ever had, he just can't bite hard enough to hurt ya.

skyhightree1":1pn1lwoy said:
yea I understand ... Someone dumped around 40 cats at my place at once and I spent the whole night trapping them.

If you dumped 40 cats here the coyotes would get fat.

I hate to see one dumped and hate those that do it. Having said that tho, I've sure gotten a few really good faithful companions over the decades because they did. Got one right now I wouldn't take any amt of $$ for. Some kind of rotty cross mutt but she sure won't let anything walk on the place without raising a ruckus, but is trouble free..or is now that I had her fixed.

greybeard":25dlohuy said:
I hate to see one dumped and hate those that do it. Having said that tho, I've sure gotten a few really good faithful companions over the decades because they did. Got one right now I wouldn't take any amt of $$ for. Some kind of rotty cross mutt but she sure won't let anything walk on the place without raising a ruckus, but is trouble free..or is now that I had her fixed.

Those are usually the best kind. :nod:

Caustic Burno":2eh6t8dx said:
wacocowboy":2eh6t8dx said:
skyhightree1":2eh6t8dx said:
yea I understand ... Someone dumped around 40 cats at my place at once and I spent the whole night trapping them.

Owls here will get one in a heartbeat.

Never seen an owl get one but we got plenty of owls up here so I guess they would get fat too.

Caustic Burno":1m1uqjp4 said:
wacocowboy":1m1uqjp4 said:
skyhightree1":1m1uqjp4 said:

Owls here will get one in a heartbeat.
I'm pretty sure that's what happened to the old tomcat we had around here for about a year. Went off one evening about dark and never returned, and if this young calico we have now doesn't get some brains pretty quick, same thing's gonna happen to her. Owls love to either cruise down the powerline r.o.w. or sit in the pines beside it watching for things crossing it and she likes to sit out there in the cool dirt at the end of the day.

One of our best dogs was dumped here as a pup, vet guessed he was 10 - 11 weeks old and a Lab/Greyhound mix. Our local Humane Society doesn't charge to receive unwanted animals but appreciates a donation, either monetary or with food, blankets, etc.

My grandfather always had numerous cats on his farm, mostly they would stay in the barn. Many were dropped or just left the neighbors and of course many were born on the place. I remember he would always say if you can catch one you can have it. As kids we always tried to catch the kittens. Oh Boy they could eat you up and tear you apart, the wild cute little devils. I remember one he had gentled down named it etc... think he was a tomcat. Well for whatever reason he got where he wanted to get rid of it. He gave it to a friend in the county, left it at a stock yard many miles away, each time that cat came home sooner or later. He had even seen a hawk grab it and took off through the air. The cat clawed that hawk and he dropped the cat out of midair about 40'. That tomcat was determined and bound to stay at my grandfather's. He finally said that cat could stay as long as he wanted after all the miles and work he put in to stay with him. Don't know what ended up happening to that cat he just disappeared one day and finally didn't come back. If the hawk won the revenge battle, or another tom cat killed him or what but my grandfather sure ended up missing that Cat.

Farm Fence Solutions":2mmr30v9 said:
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of mean ones out there, and they are built to kill. That said, we have to bust up more fights with the bay dogs than we do the catch dogs. For the most part, unless you're a pig, they just aren't aggressive at all. My wife has a Min Pin that is meaner than any big dog we've ever had, he just can't bite hard enough to hurt ya.
Pit bulls are bred to bite and hold cattle, bears, etc...sure kindness and love will make one more docile but accidentally step on his tail and you might lose a limb. My dad had one when I was in HS....gentle as a lamb unless he was in the back of dad's PU truck...walk by it and touch it and he would take your face off. Luckily everybody knew it.

TexasBred":2bug9td3 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2bug9td3 said:
Pit bulls are bred to bite and hold cattle, bears, etc...sure kindness and love will make one more docile but accidentally step on his tail and you might lose a limb. My dad had one when I was in HS....gentle as a lamb unless he was in the back of dad's PU truck...walk by it and touch it and he would take your face off. Luckily everybody knew it.
I had a heeler that was the same way. Bit a sheriff deputy because he leaned against her truck.

Latest posts