Why do people dump dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

I like dogs, cats, etc... Pets in general I guess. I'm with TB on Pitt Bulls. Pit bulls and Boxers I don't want anywhere around my place. Yes I've seen all the pretty snuggle pictures everybody shows with their pit and kid. I've also seen what some of those same dogs have done to livestock, others, and yes even their owners. Just don't get it why so many people want to have a pit or a boxer for a pet especially if they have young children when there is so many other breeds of dogs out there. Dad says they are all hiding something that's why they got mister bad butt pit or box. Does appear like meth heads and low life trash love them, they all got one. When a 30-30 has a tough job taking down one, he doesn't need to be a pet to your kids. The only other dog we ever had a problem with was a Husky. Anyway that's my stance on pits and boxers.

Around New Hampshire you can't find a single stray nor animal in a shelter. The last time a rescue had to euthanize due to over population was more than 10 years ago. We could benefit from all yalls strays. They fly out of shelter within days.

FlyingLSimmentals":13kb75w6 said:
I like dogs, cats, etc... Pets in general I guess. I'm with TB on Pitt Bulls. Pit bulls and Boxers I don't want anywhere around my place. Yes I've seen all the pretty snuggle pictures everybody shows with their pit and kid. I've also seen what some of those same dogs have done to livestock, others, and yes even their owners. Just don't get it why so many people want to have a pit or a boxer for a pet especially if they have young children when there is so many other breeds of dogs out there. Dad says they are all hiding something that's why they got mister bad butt pit or box. Does appear like meth heads and low life trash love them, they all got one. When a 30-30 has a tough job taking down one, he doesn't need to be a pet to your kids. The only other dog we ever had a problem with was a Husky. Anyway that's my stance on pits and boxers.

With all due respect, if you have a .30-30 that has a hard time killing anything, especially a dog, it might be best to read the operators manual or quit reloading your own ammunition. :lol: This should be read in a friendly tone, as that's the way it was typed.

dun":2k080tlg said:
TexasBred":2k080tlg said:
Farm Fence Solutions":2k080tlg said:
Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of mean ones out there, and they are built to kill. That said, we have to bust up more fights with the bay dogs than we do the catch dogs. For the most part, unless you're a pig, they just aren't aggressive at all. My wife has a Min Pin that is meaner than any big dog we've ever had, he just can't bite hard enough to hurt ya.
Pit bulls are bred to bite and hold cattle, bears, etc...sure kindness and love will make one more docile but accidentally step on his tail and you might lose a limb. My dad had one when I was in HS....gentle as a lamb unless he was in the back of dad's PU truck...walk by it and touch it and he would take your face off. Luckily everybody knew it.
I had a heeler that was the same way. Bit a sheriff deputy because he leaned against her truck.

Did you put the dog down?

I guess I'll crawl back out from under my rock and add to this. As has been said, people dump dogs to escape their responsibility to the critter- in my opinion, anyway. We don't have a whole lot trouble with people dumping dogs. We do, however, have people dumping cats. We have a group of cat rescue looney tunes that catch the strays in town. They get them spayed/neutered and then dump them on our road. Sounds crazy, but it's true. After they spay/neuter them they notch the cat's ear to indicate that they've already been done. I wish they wouldn't dump the things out though- I don't mind a few cats, but we're starting to get overrun and I'd hate to kill the little things.

~~BC

Farm Fence, I will say the 30-30 wasn't a really accurate gun and it was in the middle of the night when I shot it. Not sure where it was hit. But it did finally do away with that precious killer.

The dog dumping is endless here.
I am a dog person but I don't want but one here mine.
No one ever dumps poodles chihuahua or wennie dogs it is always pits or some other big mongrel.
Buzzards have to make a living too.

TennesseeTuxedo":r5vnk0a1 said:
dun":r5vnk0a1 said:
TexasBred":r5vnk0a1 said:
Pit bulls are bred to bite and hold cattle, bears, etc...sure kindness and love will make one more docile but accidentally step on his tail and you might lose a limb. My dad had one when I was in HS....gentle as a lamb unless he was in the back of dad's PU truck...walk by it and touch it and he would take your face off. Luckily everybody knew it.
I had a heeler that was the same way. Bit a sheriff deputy because he leaned against her truck.

Nope, gave her to neighbor that said he could take care of the problem. About a year later she bit me when I leaned against his truck.

dun":anp2mc0j said:
TennesseeTuxedo":anp2mc0j said:
dun":anp2mc0j said:

Nope, gave her to neighbor that said he could take care of the problem. About a year later she bit me when I leaned against his truck.

Interesting, I recall a thread last year about dog bites and you had a less than kind comment to me when I recalled a recent event where a neighbors dog bit my wife on the hand when she reached into their car unexpectedly. We've never had another incident with the brute,a Goldendoodle of all things.

My neighbors always have 3 pits (they change the lineup but always 3 pits). I hate them and have warned him to stop letting them loose. They have cornered my dog and I twice. And cornered my friend, her young kids and I when they were in visiting from Ohio. These dogs are canny and work as a team to try to separate you. When you think they have left, you will find them spying you from behind a building, waiting for you to come back or become complacent. They are very territorial, and once they are allowed to run loose, they consider wherever they have roamed and marked to be their territory. Thus, these dogs for awhile thought I was trespassing on my own d@mn land. When we were building the log cabin, before we got the roof on they pizzed on every single log and beam. When we moved in we wondered why our (very housebroken) dog was going crazy and one time even peed on one of the upright beams. We realized they had been having the run of the place all the time we weren't there working.
Many a person has thought their pitbull was different, until it hurt someone.

TennesseeTuxedo":38qztk5z said:
dun":38qztk5z said:
TennesseeTuxedo":38qztk5z said:

Interesting, I recall a thread last year about dog bites and you had a less than kind comment to me when I recalled a recent event where a neighbors dog bit my wife on the hand when she reached into their car unexpectedly. We've never had another incident with the brute,a Goldendoodle of all things.
Te old time heelers were that way, very protective of their territory. The sheriff saw her in the truck and still choose to invade her territory even though he admitted to have a heeler that would have done the same thing. Thhe time I got bit my my-ex heeler I figured I was safe because she had been mine. The only dog that every really caused me damage was a chow, still have the scars and nerv damage for that. If the owner wasn;t dieing of terminal cancer I would have demanded it be put down. As it was the doctors reported it and the dog was held for a couple of weeks and the owners fined a pile of money. After the lady died her husband had the dog put down. There are alwasy circumstances, some change what should be done, others no. My ex-heeler biting was basicly 2 different peole that should have known better doing something really stupid. She didn;t break skin on either of just was warning us.

dun":4pak4opq said:
TennesseeTuxedo":4pak4opq said:
dun":4pak4opq said:

Te old time heelers were that way, very protective of their territory. The sheriff saw her in the truck and still choose to invade her territory even though he admitted to have a heeler that would have done the same thing. Thhe time I got bit my my-ex heeler I figured I was safe because she had been mine. The only dog that every really caused me damage was a chow, still have the scars and nerv damage for that. If the owner wasn;t dieing of terminal cancer I would have demanded it be put down. As it was the doctors reported it and the dog was held for a couple of weeks and the owners fined a pile of money. After the lady died her husband had the dog put down. There are alwasy circumstances, some change what should be done, others no. My ex-heeler biting was basicly 2 different peole that should have known better doing something really stupid. She didn;t break skin on either of just was warning us.

Perfectly logical. Sure wasn't your tone with on the old thread I'm referencing. You guys were all about "putting down a biting dog". If the search mechanism here were more functional I'd go find it. Needless to say the dog that bit my wife didn't leave a lasting mark (blood blister under a nail that grew out) but your words to me that day did.

Latest posts