Who's fixin to start feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Since Jan 2022 gotten only 3 to 4" rain. Last good rain was in April. We're a tinder box, crunchy grass where the weeds cannot even produce seed heads and the weeds are only thigh high...a foot. It's disheartening to see several time a "V" rain formation....that hit both sides of us...but never my ranch. My cattle look healthy, I feed them cubes twice a week....i don't know what they're eating but dried material...2 to 6" high. I've been dropping big trees every time i go out...they love the leaves. Now, these are tree that horses have pretty much killed off 2 years ago (removing bark-decay and ants came in)...they're going to die and drop soon anyway. Plus I have too many trees.

If anyone is nearby and has equipment to hay I have tall johnson grass (literally over my head in some places) at the Ladonia ranch (near commerce Texas) that can be cut and bailed. I'd partner and share over 50% of the yield.
As far as my Ferris ranch...I'm inexperienced, there's no hay left in the area (big horse lovers here). Hay used to be $60. last year now it's $80 to $100. if you can find it. My inexperienced drought plan is to supplement 20% protein cubes with bailed corn stalk-age fairly soon. Nobody wants the bailed corn and it was fairly cheap at $30. a 4x5 bail...maybe it'll be $40 this year.

...I don't know what to do...other than cattle cubes and corn stalkage from August 2022 to end of Febuary 2023. My original plan was to start feeding really good wholesome hay in Dec 1st 2022....but this drought changed all that.
...here's my inexperienced fear....I'm scared i will over grain/protein them without enough roughage/grass (hope the cattle are forgiving enough for what I'm about to do to them)
You might look back through the threads and see where we have talked about cotton seed cubes. You get more bang for the buck especially when feeding twice a week.

Bulk whole cotton seed may also be an option and can be fed twice a week. It's even a better value in some cases.

There can be a lot of benefits to tubs also as said above.

You standing grass, even if it's dry, is your greatest asset. Once you lose it you are pretty much done. Protect it at all costs IMO.

emorylivestock.jpg

Full report and more photos..

The comments are disheartening to say the least, but the prices were not bad.
Scroll down on the right and compare last sale to sales earlier in the year. That is eye opening.

Last edited:
Nothing at all wrong with Johnson grass hay... purssic acid is no concern at all. Brute nailed the nitrate issue. I'll add a plant forming seed is a good indicator that it's consuming nitrogen meaning it's ok.
You don't want to graze it when it's recovering from stress. Or wilted from frost.
A good field of Johnson grass I cut yesterday.
IMG_20220709_082619.jpg
Some cattle getting a few cubes they're in a hayfield of failed hybrid Sudan just a few miles from the field I'm haying. Big difference in a few miles.

With a few exceptions
The people planning to feed there way out of this are in for a lesson.
IMG_20220705_164802.jpg

We use to live in Commerce and where are there too many trees...lol... How many acres is your ladonia field? We just went out and looked at the stuff we cut first and amazingly a storm popped up over it and dumped an inch of rain a couple weeks ago over it. Its head high johnson grass with no weeds.. The guys will work their way back to it to get a second cutting. This morning we pulled test plugs out of 5 of the fields we've cut to see what nutrition is in the hay.
31 areas

TR> Just now had time to get back,, Your heaviest cows are most likely your greatest asset and well as liability. Anything with plenty of
flesh should bring a premium over drought stressed. Check on the cost of high protein tubs to feed with the bailed corn stalk-age as
compared to the 20% cubes. If you have a market you trust, talk to them first and they may have buyers looking for what you have to offer.
The protein tubs can be limit fed through time allowed at the tub but I would not if all they are getting to eat is high fiber. This might be the
time to cull with a sharp pencil and keep the creme de creme. Figuring 30 lbs of feed per 1000 lbs of beef per day I would see how I
could get the greatest number of animals that I thought would turn a dime through the crisis. Don't know if you operate in more than
one county but some NRCS offices are easier to work with if one needs to do so.. Stay tuned. LVR
LVR currently they are all healthy, at a fine summer weight for endless 105 deg F days (and belly aching-begging for more food) they are the creme de creme...only 1- 14 month old steer that needs to go....but we may take him to the local butcher. I could part with one mother that always allows others to rob her milk..she not a fighter....but she does have her calf every year...she does get thin.

I just started 2.5 years ago...I hope it'll take more than one drought to get me to cull. A lot depends on next week...I'll try to secure $30. corn stalk bails if they want $40. or more...I'll consider culling half my herd. My time is free now...Money's not a big issue... but I would like to break even.

I operate in Ellis (even though my Ranch is in Dallas county) and Hunt county NRCS. With FSA, NRCS and RCPP still getting a handle on all what they do...from an engineering stance...they aren't set-up well. Too bad they can't break it all down to nothing and start with a fresh clean organizational platform....looks like new growth on top of old dysfunctional growth. Just my rant, amazing at how convoluted it all is.

I see the cattle around me are all gone too. Either I'm being stupid or maybe the next two to three years if my cows do well their calves will fetch a premium while others are working to replace and rebuild their herds.

That Johnson grass is some deadly stuff!
Especially in a drought.
Remember this you can't sell dead cows or feed profit into one in a drought.
This is real easy you sell, pocket the money to fight another day.
Actually right now we're pretty lucky on slaughter cow values for the conditions we're in.
They say.. if you're at poker table and you can't immediately spot the fool...then you're probably the fool (me). I know I'm entering foolish territory by hanging on....I know I could be last to fold and cull my cattle with even worse prices (lol). I'm having foolish fun...and in the back of my mind I'm hoping for a hail-mary whereby in the next three years i have calves ready for market (at astro prices) when everyone else is rebuilding their decimated herds from scratch or exited cattle production altogether.

We use to live in Commerce and where are there too many trees...lol... How many acres is your ladonia field? We just went out and looked at the stuff we cut first and amazingly a storm popped up over it and dumped an inch of rain a couple weeks ago over it. Its head high johnson grass with no weeds.. The guys will work their way back to it to get a second cutting. This morning we pulled test plugs out of 5 of the fields we've cut to see what nutrition is in the hay.
Yeah, the Johnson grass was still green and vibrate over my 6' head in Ladonia....they got a lot more rain up there....green and lush it is...and I'm still pulling and clipping up barb-wire....driving through 7' tall grass. I'm a one-man 60 year old show....can't find anyone decent that wants to work. I look at all these immigrates pouring over the Mexican-American border young 25 to 45 year olds...but where are they... they aren't seeking to work fencing. Someone must be taking good care of them. ;)

You might look back through the threads and see where we have talked about cotton seed cubes. You get more bang for the buck especially when feeding twice a week.

Bulk whole cotton seed may also be an option and can be fed twice a week. It's even a better value in some cases.

There can be a lot of benefits to tubs also as said above.

You standing grass, even if it's dry, is your greatest asset. Once you lose it you are pretty much done. Protect it at all costs IMO.
I actually found and bought cottonseed 34/38/40% cubes. Found the cottonseed prices high in Texas...did the math based on protein-weight-&minerals and it was a complete wash no value there. I will check into tubes. Hey, that's what i was thinking about my dry grass... i still have dry standing grass...4" to 8" they are still grazing and feeding themselves...and they have lots of leaves too...even small tree shrubs. Cattle only take off 50 to 65% of leaves on the shrubs, cattle seem to know and try to keep the tree alive...but i don't mind if they kill those.... it was for them anyway to eat and kill off.
The good news is... i never had to mow my fields to cut down lambsquarter...it never came back this year...only in slight spots and the cattle ate it. I was looking at a $30,000. set up to mow...that's been erased from my wish list.

I actually found and bought cottonseed 34/38/40% cubes. Found the cottonseed prices high in Texas...did the math based on protein-weight-&minerals and it was a complete wash no value there. I will check into tubes. Hey, that's what i was thinking about my dry grass... i still have dry standing grass...4" to 8" they are still grazing and feeding themselves...and they have lots of leaves too...even small tree shrubs. Cattle only take off 50 to 65% of leaves on the shrubs, cattle seem to know and try to keep the tree alive...but i don't mind if they kill those.... it was for them anyway to eat and kill off.
The good news is... i never had to mow my fields to cut down lambsquarter...it never came back this year...only in slight spots and the cattle ate it. I was looking at a $30,000. set up to mow...that's been erased from my wish list.
What was your price on wcs? Hopefully some one else will chime in. I can't remember what the other feed was that may be more prevent in your area... maybe soybeans. I remember feeding a lot of soybeans in Waco.

Shredders have gotten crazy expensive IF you can find them. Sprayers are a bargain now.

Looks like they finished around 3 am. That would be a long one for sure. Guess it was the biggest sale for this year but not the biggest they've ever had. I wonder how much weight was lost in all of that..

Looks like they finished around 3 am. That would be a long one for sure. Guess it was the biggest sale for this year but not the biggest they've ever had. I wonder how much weight was lost in all of that..
I remember in 2011 we hauled off a lot of stock. The lines were horrible. We got 1/3rd what our animals were worth. People who argue that they are on a fixed income...i always chuckle a little. How about this... your income depends on growing a crop, our case cattle. Then you put all this time and money into it and wait months. All your fuel cost the same, bills are the same, we dont have a fixed income... would be nice if it were though.

Dragging calves all the way to OKC doesn't looks so dumb now. You could make most of the trip for the time you waited in line. I took another load this morning. No line and unloaded in three minutes. They are expecting 11,000 for tomorrows sale. Just a normal day for them. You won't see any discounts there because of numbers.
Of interest was the number of cows on the yard. Nice cows that looked bred. They sale on Tuesday so its unusual to see them already there. Someone was selling out.
My commission company was sorting a very nice group of angus calves 500 to 800 in weight while I watched for a bit. Probably 300 in the group. A nice check for someone tomorrow.

Seems like a lot of people selling out. I wonder how many get back in shortly after. I mean, I haven't been doing this long and have already sold out and bought more and thinking about getting out again. :LOL:

What was your price on wcs? Hopefully some one else will chime in. I can't remember what the other feed was that may be more prevent in your area... maybe soybeans. I remember feeding a lot of soybeans in Waco.

Shredders have gotten crazy expensive IF you can find them. Sprayers are a bargain now.
This was last year when 20% 50lbs cattle cubes I usually buy were $10.50 regular and ($9.99 on sale), the Cottonseed 34/38% 50lbs were $19.00 (it was older feed, crumbling edges absorbing moisture) and the supplier was farther out. Absolutely was not impressed by older setting cottonseed and the price. I believe other farmers weren't either...that's why the stock had become old. Run the math on protein and it's really not a bargain where i'm located. Cattle cubes had better minerals and dietary needs for cattle than the extra protein of cottonseed.
I wanted so badly cottonseed to be a cure-all....but i needed the price to be $14.00 not $19.00. I'm a hard-nosed buyer.

Hey, on the topic of shredders...has anyone used a small head-fed tree shredder for corn stalk shredding. I'm always thinking of crazy ideas...of shedding corn myself and adding molasses...fermenting.

Yeah, the Johnson grass was still green and vibrate over my 6' head in Ladonia....they got a lot more rain up there....green and lush it is...and I'm still pulling and clipping up barb-wire....driving through 7' tall grass. I'm a one-man 60 year old show....can't find anyone decent that wants to work. I look at all these immigrates pouring over the Mexican-American border young 25 to 45 year olds...but where are they... they aren't seeking to work fencing. Someone must be taking good care of them. ;)

This was last year when 20% 50lbs cattle cubes I usually buy were $10.50 regular and ($9.99 on sale), the Cottonseed 34/38% 50lbs were $19.00 (it was older feed, crumbling edges absorbing moisture) and the supplier was farther out. Absolutely was not impressed by older setting cottonseed and the price. I believe other farmers weren't either...that's why the stock had become old. Run the math on protein and it's really not a bargain where i'm located. Cattle cubes had better minerals and dietary needs for cattle than the extra protein of cottonseed.
I wanted so badly cottonseed to be a cure-all....but i needed the price to be $14.00 not $19.00. I'm a hard-nosed buyer.
Cottonseed is ~ 20 percent protein ~ 20 fat. Also with ~ percent fiber it gives more gut fill than other supplements. Saving hay
230.00 a ton it's better than cubes by a long, long way.

That is screwed up. I'll have to look when I go in but usually see 4-5$ difference from a 20% cube to cs cubes.

Did you look for bulk cottonseed? It may not be an option if the cubes were that high it may just be that way in your area. I'm paying like a little over $200 for a #1000 tote. Generally bulk wcs has ran me the same price for #50 as cheap cubes but it should have more bang for the buck.

That is screwed up. I'll have to look when I go in but usually see 4-5$ difference from a 20% cube to cs cubes.

Did you look for bulk cottonseed? It may not be an option if the cubes were that high it may just be that way in your area. I'm paying like a little over $200 for a #1000 tote. Generally bulk wcs has ran me the same price for #50 as cheap cubes but it should have more bang for the buck.
I'll check again...but nobody mentioned they had totes of it in bulk. It was difficult to locate...even the 50lb bags. I need to go direct to supplier i imagine. Absolutely i would buy 1,000.lb B-WCS for $200. that's the way to go.

Latest posts