To much much hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

The jury is in…23 bales - less than half of what we got last year from the same 2 fields…sigh…hope this winter is pretty mild…now to get to mowing the back pasture (about 30 acres)…chicken litter and spray in the early spring and see how the rehab goes…I don't think it has ever been baled…if I can get it under control and next summer isn't as bad as this one was, may have extra to sell… incidentally, these 2 fields yielded 54 bales last year and it wasn't a very good year as far as rain is concerned…on the bright side - the weeds and Johnson grass is under control better than years past

gman, have you considered slinging some ryegrass seed in those fields that you just baled? You will not get any winter grazing from it planted this late, but it should be up and ready to go late winter. Wait and fertilize around Valentine Day.

gman, have you considered slinging some ryegrass seed in those fields that you just baled? You will not get any winter grazing from it planted this late, but it should be up and ready to go late winter. Wait and fertilize around Valentine Day.
They both have a healthy crop of rye grass every late winter-early spring. Was going to bale it this year but couldn't get enough dry weather…takes it longer to cure for baling. And my hay man also had some equipment issues. I let the cows graze the smaller pasture and mowed the bigger pasture after it went to seed and started going dormant. Planning on trying to bale it this coming spring and holding onto it in the hay barn until I see what the spring-summer holds for the bermuda. If it is a good year, I will probably sell most of the rye to offset chicken litter and pesticide costs. If not, then I can always feed them the rye…it keeps pretty good if kept under roof.

Last edited:
Our grasses are predominantly summer growing and will start slowing down in the 2nd half of February our last month of summer and any rain in autumn will usually give disappointing growth however if it has been a tough summer with little rain and we get some good rain in March or April I have seen the grass do real well. It seems to seize the opportunity to do a last ditch growth spurt and then set seed. Like everything it is all about reproduction.

Ken

And in Texas they are probably hoping for some good fall grass to grow.... We are inbetween... done with hay finally, too dry for any fall growth... and luckily NOT cold enough for any snow yet...
We got some timely rains here in north Texas and have been able to stop haying for a few weeks. Good old winter rye is a favorite of our girls. Hopefully kicking them to triticale blend before Christmas and cruise through till spring….never works quite that good 😊

The guy who bales our hay is planting pretty much his whole place in oats & wheat for this winter to try and reduce how much he needs to feed. This summer was awfully rough on the hayfields. The two fields I normally bale yielded 54 bales last year (5'x6') round bales and that was a little short of what it normally is - last summer was pretty bad, too. This year we got one cutting a couple of weeks ago - only 23 bales

The guy who bales our hay is planting pretty much his whole place in oats & wheat for this winter to try and reduce how much he needs to feed. This summer was awfully rough on the hayfields. The two fields I normally bale yielded 54 bales last year (5'x6') round bales and that was a little short of what it normally is - last summer was pretty bad, too. This year we got one cutting a couple of weeks ago - only 23 bales
If we don't get our **it together with the changes in the weather patterns we are gonna be in it deep...

If we don't get our **it together with the changes in the weather patterns we are gonna be in it deep
And that's one of the reasons I'm working on getting that back pasture into shape…of course, the first day of mowing yesterday, the stump jumper just dropped out from under the bush hog…sigh. Called my equipment man and they have gone out of business. However, I loaded it up on the trailer and he picked it up this morning. Said he should be able to get it up and running in pretty short order…that's a good guy right there.

This is one of those El Niño - La Niña periods…happens about every ten years or so…remember 2011? Just have to muddle through…hopefully next summer will be better

Last edited:
I wont sell the old hay, to ashamed to sell something that bad looking, stored outside. Started feeding it. I think I have all barn hay sold, about 2,000 rolls. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts