To much much hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

GADAWG79

Reaction score
Can you have to much hay? I make to much for my self each year. I can never get enough cattle to consume my supply. Hay selling drives me nuts! I have a enough hay for my current herd for 3 years. I cut 40 acres today and pondered on this all day.

Can you have to much hay? I make to much for my self each year. I can never get enough cattle to consume my supply. Hay selling drives me nuts! I have a enough hay for my current herd for 3 years. I cut 40 acres today and pondered on this all day.
Please put your location/state on your profile.

Not very economical to have three years of hay. I can see having a surplus, but anything more than an extra three months is where I would be selling. If you put your location on your profile you might get some people asking for prices.

Can't get enough cattle to consume your supply? I gotta hear this story.

Plenty of cattle around to buy to burn hay!!
Two years worth of hay around here is the target. At least if ya have that stockpiled, it can get you thru one year of drought!
MAYBE..

Personally I'd sell some, and buy some more cattle (be it calves, cows, whatever) to eat some more! Good money in buying unweaned calves and weaning 45 days to re-sell (IF BOUGHT RIGHT!!)
Some folks will even trade cattle for hay.

Considering what was said in the post, this is either a kid or a troll. If you have 3 times the amount of hay your cows can eat...then don't cut hay. Just let them graze year round. UNless it is bermuda in extreme north Ga, it could be done. Or cut 1/3rd of the field and graze the rest. But I think this is a case like we see from time to time...a post like this and you never hear from them again.

Thanks for responses. Couldnt login with my old id. Ive got most of my hay in the barn. Ive got a good farm leased right (no grazing) and just hate to let it go, beside my personal farm. Never enough funds to buy appropriate amount of cattle.
Mr Allison were in the same area. I go to the Calhoun cow sale some, but its pretty much a goat sale these days. Last time i was there on a Thursday no head cows had sold by 2pm and I left. Thanks again for responses.

Thanks for responses. Couldnt login with my old id. Ive got most of my hay in the barn. Ive got a good farm leased right (no grazing) and just hate to let it go, beside my personal farm. Never enough funds to buy appropriate amount of cattle.
Mr Allison were in the same area. I go to the Calhoun cow sale some, but its pretty much a goat sale these days. Last time i was there on a Thursday no head cows had sold by 2pm and I left. Thanks again for responses.
Yeah, I didn't go yesterday, but last Thursday I went by after a doctor's appointment. I got there before 10:30, and trailers were lined up to the road, all full of goats. Barn was fi ull and they were already selling them when I went to the cafe. I ate, and walked out to the unloading area, still trailers all the way to the road. I spotted a couple of young Plummer bulls and a Brahma bull I wanted to see about maybe getting. But at 1 PM. they were still selling goats. My momma called then. Daddy had been on hospice about 2 weeks, and they told her to call the family in....that he was about to go. He didn't die til Sunday, and we buried him Tuesday. I was so far behind at the office I couldnt get away yesterday. They had a pen full of dairy long -yearling heifers there that day as well. A Jersey and some Jersey -Holstein and Jersey Guernsey crosses. They weren't marked bred, and I wanted to watch them sell as well.

What kind of grass is your hay? Are you rolling it or square baling it?

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't go yesterday, but last Thursday I went by after a doctor's appointment. I got there before 10:30, and trailers were lined up to the road, all full of goats. Barn was fi ull and they were already selling them when I went to the cafe. I ate, and walked out to the unloading area, still trailers al the way to the road. I spotted a couple of young Plummer bulls and a Brahma bull I wanted to see about maybe getting. But at 1 PM. they were still selling goats. My momma called then. Daddy had been on hospice about 2 weeks, and they told her to call the family in....that he was about to go. He didn't die til Sunday, and we buried him Tuesday. I was so far behind at the office I couldnt get away yesterday. They had a pen full of dairy long -yearling heifers there that day as well. A Jersey and some Jersy -Holstein and Jersy Guernsey crosses. They weren't marked bred, and I wanted to watch them sell as well.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad Warren. Prayers are with you and your family

My momma called then. Daddy had been on hospice about 2 weeks, and they told her to call the family in....that he was about to go. He didn't die til Sunday, and we buried him Tuesday.

So sorry to hear of this loss. Most here have lost one or both parents, and even siblings. Difficult to endure but He above will temper your grief as your father is at peace. Our frailty tho, again ..is so hard.

Fear no more the heat o' the sun,
Nor the furious winter's rages;
Thou thy worldly task hast done,
Home art gone, and ta'en thy wages:
Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Fear no more the frown o' the great;
Thou art past the tyrant's stroke;
Care no more to clothe and eat;
To thee the reed is as the oak:
The scepter, learning, physic, must
All follow this, and come to dust.

Fear no more the lightning flash,
Nor the all-dreaded thunder stone;
Fear not slander, censure rash;
Thou hast finished joy and moan:
All lovers young, all lovers must
Consign to thee, and come to dust.

(Cymbeline, act IV scene 2)

Yeah, I didn't go yesterday, but last Thursday I went by after a doctor's appointment. I got there before 10:30, and trailers were lined up to the road, all full of goats. Barn was fi ull and they were already selling them when I went to the cafe. I ate, and walked out to the unloading area, still trailers all the way to the road. I spotted a couple of young Plummer bulls and a Brahma bull I wanted to see about maybe getting. But at 1 PM. they were still selling goats. My momma called then. Daddy had been on hospice about 2 weeks, and they told her to call the family in....that he was about to go. He didn't die til Sunday, and we buried him Tuesday. I was so far behind at the office I couldnt get away yesterday. They had a pen full of dairy long -yearling heifers there that day as well. A Jersey and some Jersey -Holstein and Jersey Guernsey crosses. They weren't marked bred, and I wanted to watch them sell as well.

Condolences, sir.

Thanks for the kind words, everybody. He had a good run. Was 92 in June.
I've heard it said that a man never really grows up until his father dies. I don't know how true it is, but it is a strange world when that guy is no longer watching over you. Mine died two weeks short of 91... but he was 48 when I was born so he's been gone a good while. Take care...

Condolences also Warren. I lost both of mine in 3 months, 2 years ago... hard to believe they are gone... mom had Alzheimers and it was a blessing but father couldn't deal with her gone I don't think... lost her in June and him in Sept.... 88 and 87... figured he would live alot longer as all the family members were 90's and a couple 100+... I'll be here forever.... I'm too ornery and cantankerous to "die young".....