To much much hay???

Help Support CattleToday:

Fescue mix hay all rolled 4x5s Mr Allison. 2,050 so far this year and still rolling.
Gonna try to buy some pairs tomorrow at Athens Tn, if I can get a going, I work nite shift tonite.
Ok, I guess yo u are tired of fooling with hay! And the thing is, this has been a bumper year for hay around here. EVERYONE has too much! Have you tried to contact some hydro seeder contractors? That's what several people I know now do with their hay. And the hydro seeders don't care if it is fertilized, protein content, etc.

I have not seen that much hay on the move here as other years. My tonnage is way down this year, and most I talk to also were down. I believe it is due to our summer being colder than normal with colder than normal nights. Just was not very good alfalfa growing weather. I will not be selling any this year, I'm lucky to have enough for the year. What hay there is, most is only cow hay.

I have not seen that much hay on the move here as other years. My tonnage is way down this year, and most I talk to also were down. I believe it is due to our summer being colder than normal with colder than normal nights. Just was not very good alfalfa growing weather. I will not be selling any this year, I'm lucky to have enough for the year. What hay there is, most is only cow hay.
Our spring was cool and dry. Summer was dry aside from rain in July, got frosts first week of October, growing season has sucked in general. 3rd year in a row. Folks feeding hay already. They'll run short for sure. Hate to see it.

Sorry for your loss Warren, you are lucky to have had and still have parents living. Mom shot herself dead when I was 9, Dad smoked his lungs away 12 years ago. My mother in law is still going strong at 91. We stay in close touch with her even though it is a 7 hour drive to visit.

Sorry for your loss Warren, you are lucky to have had and still have parents living. Mom shot herself dead when I was 9, Dad smoked his lungs away 12 years ago. My mother in law is still going strong at 91. We stay in close touch with her even though it is a 7 hour drive to visit.
Thanks for that, GCreek. And sorry about your mom. Hard row for you to hoe at 9 yrs old.

Last edited:
I will say one thing regarding parents.
You never really know until you know. Unfortunately it takes their passing to fully realize what you needed to know.
Difficult to explain. But best I can do.
Yes I failed to get all my mom's recipes out of her head ! Unfortunately she didn't write them down. The one I miss the most is her homemade ketchup.

Cutting hay still?

There's 8-10 inches of snow on the ground UP here...
Summer was brutal here...this is the first and will be the only cutting I get this year...will probably have to buy hay again before the end of winter...sigh

Some folks are planting oats and wheat to help get through the winter...

I'll be happy if I get half of what we got last year...and last year was pretty tough, too.

And in Texas they are probably hoping for some good fall grass to grow.... We are inbetween... done with hay finally, too dry for any fall growth... and luckily NOT cold enough for any snow yet...
Would love to see some good fall grass here...hoping for a mild winter...been feeding since August due to the drought

Would love to see some good fall grass here...hoping for a mild winter...been feeding since August due to the drought
Did you not get any of the rain over in Nac that we got the last 2 weeks?

My sisters down in Cleveland Tx say they have about been floating away.

Ryegrass and oats are doing well in some of the pastures I see around here in Central Tx.

Ryegrass and oats are doing well in some of the pastures I see around here in Central Tx.
yes...we got some rain over the last couple of weeks but it followed a looooong hot, dry spell (50 consecutive days of 100 - 100+ degrees w/no rain)...a lot of the damage had already been done...and lots of folks had to fight army worms as well...

Annual rye almost always does well around here if planted in November...both of my hay pastures get a healthy crop of rye late winter-early spring...planning on baling it this next spring...I can store it in a hay barn and hold onto it until I see what the summer is going to do to us...if it's a good year weatherwise, I'll sell it. Will have to see how the bermuda grass performs before I can make a firm decision on that.

Incidentally, the pastures have greened up from the rain but the grass hasn't really grown tall enough yet to be of much use...cows trying to nibble it with their lips instead of grabbing it with their tongues...I've wormed all of my cattle for the fall with an injection wormer and I'm keeping deworming blocks in the troughs with brown & white salt blocks...they love those dewormer blocks due to the molasses that is in them...a sweet treat.

Sold ten cows/steers the other day (3 grown & 7 of this spring's heifers/steers). Hopefully that will give the pastures at least some degree of relief. The 30 acres on the back side has come in mighty handy as I fixed those fences earlier in the year so they can go over there to graze...lots of good grass there but also lots of weeds...started putting that pasture on a bit of a "recovery" program this year. If I can get over there and mow it this fall/winter, then fertilize and spray for weeds next spring, it should be well on its way. It provided some relief this year in the way of a little extra grazing. Hopefully, next year will be better. If I can bring it far enough along, I'll probably bale it maybe once per year - twice if it's a really good year. It's a good pasture surrounded by woods so that helps to keep the weeds & johnson grass down a bit. With a little tender loving care, it should turn out to be a nice pasture for either grazing or hay.

I tried the wormer blocks a couple of times. They were ok, but I preferred the old drench guns or Safe guard cubes since I tried to keep herd size around 30-35 pairs. easy peasy but the drench method cold get kinda messy..... :oops: 😄 The good thing about the blocks in winter cold is the molasses gives them energy which converts to heat.

I tried the wormer blocks a couple of times. They were ok, but I preferred the old drench guns or Safe guard cubes since I tried to keep herd size around 30-35 pairs. easy peasy but the drench method cold get kinda messy..... :oops: 😄 The good thing about the blocks in winter cold is the molasses gives them energy which converts to heat.
We use a pour-on wormer in the spring...here's what I use for dewormer blocks:

1699135366536.png

Latest posts