Hay test results

Help Support CattleToday:

Most people would get suprised if they tested their hay. We tested some this year for a meeting and it looked grest, put up early, kept in the harn. Tested 10.6%
I can stockpile fescue and get 17-19% protein. But everyone doesnt have that option.
What type hay is it that the cost is so high?

A 5x4 bale does not have a lot of hay in it. I have two 5x5s and 5x4 baler and was surprised how much more hay is in the extra foot. A 6x5 would probably have twice the hay as a 5x4 bale. The 5x4 is a lot easier to pull hp wise also.

A 5x4 bale does not have a lot of hay in it. I have two 5x5s and 5x4 baler and was surprised how much more hay is in the extra foot. A 6x5 would probably have twice the hay as a 5x4 bale. The 5x4 is a lot easier to pull hp wise also.
How much difference is there in a 4x5 than a 5x4?

Hay supplier down the road is getting $100-125 a roll delivered for hay that test that good. He sells 4x5.5 rolls that weigh 1,100#

I switched to big squares this year. Still trying to get a good feel for what they compare to. They sure stack easier.
depending how the rounds and squares are stored, the biggest difference will be how much less waste you have with the big squares. I have been feeding squares for the last 30 years and would be hard to go back to rounds.

depending how the rounds and squares are stored, the biggest difference will be how much less waste you have with the big squares. I have been feeding squares for the last 30 years and would be hard to go back to rounds.
I'm able to store them inside and I feed my small herd at the end of the barn on fence line panels. I dole it out and dont refill until its gone. I'm not using near as much hay as I used to with a round bale in a ring. Pouring concrete at my feed line today and am going to set a couple of the j-profile concrete feed bunks. They wont be able to throw it in front of them where they cant get to it anymore.

Latest posts