Cost of Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

I have one single newer round baler and have yet to have a breakdown that puts me out of commission in the last probably 22,000 bales. I can also bale nearly twice as much hay in a single day with my current baler/ tractor combo than i was with just 2 generations older of baler and an old tractor.

We have short weather windows and short summers (frost in June and August this year, snow in May and September) . Often only 3 hours of baling time a day. If I can't get close to 200 bales done out of multiple small odd shaped fields in that time with one single operator then I would still be trying to make hay with snow on the ground.

It's not about how much fuel an operation sips in a day. It's about how much fuel per ton of hay produced....
Only mad I can't find someone to bale my hay that cheaply. Cant fault the buyer one bit. Like I said if I could buy or have hay baled as cheap as some of you guys I would park everything I own other than a loader, net the same income, and take up another summer hobby.

I feel like some of those producers will be in for a shock when upgrading/replacing equipment becomes necessary and they realize their dollar doesn't go even half as far as it did just a few years ago.

I was charging $20-30 for custom baling as far back as 10 years ago. And it profitable to the point I paid off all my equipment back then. But now 10 years later seeing guys charge those same prices is a head scratcher when all input costs have trippled.

Take away for me is: as a buyer be happy and buy all the $20-30 hay and custom baling you can. As a producer don't sell yourself short and make sure to include all your costs and always be saving enough for your next replacment or major repair.
This is just like all the cattle producers that look at just the salebarn check.
Majority have no clue what it cost to keep a bovine yearly much less per day.
Year end is getting close and I guarantee mine are going to be close to two bucks a day.
It's the three F's feed, fuel, and fertilizer have gone through the roof!

I have one single newer round baler and have yet to have a breakdown that puts me out of commission in the last probably 22,000 bales. I can also bale nearly twice as much hay in a single day with my current baler/ tractor combo than i was with just 2 generations older of baler and an old tractor.

We have short weather windows and short summers (frost in June and August this year, snow in May and September) . Often only 3 hours of baling time a day. If I can't get close to 200 bales done out of multiple small odd shaped fields in that time with one single operator then I would still be trying to make hay with snow on the ground.

It's not about how much fuel an operation sips in a day. It's about how much fuel per ton of hay produced....
I'm glad that works for you and ours works for us.

Adding; we don't sell round bales for $30 either... or the small squares for $5... The custom work we do is by the acre for cutting, raking, and tedding if needed.. and he charges by the bale to roll it.
We fertilize to specs and make a good amount of hay off the good fields... double crop any "crop fields" (like corn in the rotation to reestablish orchard grass) with cover crops, and make good use of the sorghum-sudan with 2 cuttings...
We will often buy hay that is $30/roll off friends if we know it has not come from a crappy field of half weeds...because we cannot make it for that...

@Silver ; yes son has gotten close to what he has paid for his discbine when he turns it in every 5 years... that is why he does it, plus they start to get too much wear and start needing work... like I said, this next time it will be a big bite even with the trade in; but we aren't making as much hay on rough fields, so not quite as much wear and tear on it... and will probably try to get a couple more years out of it... unless he finds a deal or something.

@Dave there are some dairies around here that make the "big squares" but the thing here is you HAVE TO be able to store them under cover... not the same weather y'all have there... and most people/places cannot handle them unless they are "bigger operators" = bigger tractors than the small 25-45 hp Kubotas popular on the small "mini farms and estates... I am not against them... just not practical for us personally.

We both work, although my job has slowed down... but our hay making places are also spread out so we are limited to how much we can do after work and where the fields are. We often will move equipment after dark or early in the morning before you can get on the field...

It is not perfect... but the cows in the end are paying for the 2 farm mortgages as well as covering the "costs"...

@Caustic Burno ; We are figuring that with all things figured in, it is costing us right around $750/yr to keep a cow...

we cut and bale our own because there's only a few guys around that still do it and every body's hay is ready at the same time. We have 2 square balers, an old NH 273 twine baler and a newer NH wire baler that I gave about 7,000 for 8 years or so ago that had less than 1000 bales through it and it is almost bullet proof. We have a Kubota round baler which is one of the worst we've ever had. It was a lemon from day 1

Latest posts