Hay time, out of stock pile

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks like you let them graze stockpiled fescue? Just wondering. Have you ever considered 'bale grazing'? It's a way of mixing feeding hay bales and stockpiled forage in a manner to be able to provide a more consistent protein percentage throughout the winter rather than a higher percentage in stockpiled forage and then a lower percentage when hay is switched to.

Looks like you let them graze stockpiled fescue? Just wondering. Have you ever considered 'bale grazing'? It's a way of mixing feeding hay bales and stockpiled forage in a manner to be able to provide a more consistent protein percentage throughout the winter rather than a higher percentage in stockpiled forage and then a lower percentage when hay is switched to.
We have been unrolling on 15 acres of land that has never produced anything. After 4 years, last spring finally got a decent stand of natures own rye grass in the spring and we broadcasted crabgrass from a retired man who used to develop for the noble foundation. Another 5years or so I expect to get pretty good coverage and grazing

I am trying that approach this winter. Stretching out my stockpile with an unrolled bale every other day or three. I'm unrolling on a steep hill so they won't lay on it and soil as quickly. They're tramping the broomsedge down in the process. They're not wasting much hay which is a big plus. They're balancing things themselves it it looks like.

I've not been happy with condition coming out of winter the last couple winters.

It makes a whole lot of sense to me.

Going to try changing it up next year with rotational grazing and may try bale grazing. Didn't have enough grass really this year. Decided to brush hog and clip the pastures and then no rain. Hay field never grew back either. Kind of worried about not enough protein in the hay. First year for hay after I had the field sprayed and it killed all the clover.

I am trying that approach this winter. Stretching out my stockpile with an unrolled bale every other day or three. I'm unrolling on a steep hill so they won't lay on it and soil as quickly. They're tramping the broomsedge down in the process. They're not wasting much hay which is a big plus. They're balancing things themselves it it looks like.

I've not been happy with condition coming out of winter the last couple winters.

It makes a whole lot of sense to me.
Notice that by next year or the next you can see every place you unrolled the hay. No broom sage where it unrolled. Tells you that you need soil test.

Going to try changing it up next year with rotational grazing and may try bale grazing. Didn't have enough grass really this year. Decided to brush hog and clip the pastures and then no rain. Hay field never grew back either. Kind of worried about not enough protein in the hay. First year for hay after I had the field sprayed and it killed all the clover.
Sounds like a good plan. Rotational graze through the growing season, begin to stockpile a field or 2 at the end of July/first of August (continue to rotational graze in remainder of fields), begin bale grazing (bales mixed with stockpile) in October (be sure you strip graze the fields you are bale grazing). Feed bales in grazed over fields once stockpile is utilized.

Latest posts