Turned out today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Only about 25 acres. But sold a lot of my cows.
How many acres of stockpile do you figure per cow? I have fescue but also have other grasses mixed in so not a solid stand, with that in mind would I need to overseed or no-till another cool season annual in or just figure on more acres per head?

I have about 20 acres give or take stockpiled but I am keeping the cows close to the barn feeding hay while I decide whether or not im just going to sell them.

How many acres of stockpile do you figure per cow? I have fescue but also have other grasses mixed in so not a solid stand, with that in mind would I need to overseed or no-till another cool season annual in or just figure on more acres per head?
Its very variable per acre per cow. The last 2 years we have had a very dry fall so its maybe 60% of what it would be in a good year. I just give them an half acre to 1 acre at a time as they clean it up. I think 1 acre per cow with good weather could last all winter.

This crazy "winter" (if you can call it that) has me still grazing and rotating the herd thru some 2nd crop pastures and whatever regrowth is there. Enough grass left to get into 2024 but that's about it. If this weather continues I'm going to wish I had more grass fenced. Ha

Kenny, I figure one 1000lb cow/A/90days here in central Alabama. My stockpile is not nitrated and not as good as yours. I do move my wire daily and that helps a lot.
Giving them a small area makes a huge difference. They will clean it up lots better.
Someone a couple year ago posted some utilization data showing a big difference in how they use the grass. Hope someone knows where to find that.

Insert Jim Garrish response here....."it depends". For starters, how much stockpile have you accumulated? Then, how many days of stockpile are you going to give your animals access to at a time? (This determines how efficient, or how much stockpile the animals waste, the animals are). Final consideration, What type of stockpile is it? Fescue lasts a lot longer than Bermuda.

Latest posts