Turned out today.

Help Support CattleToday:

I had never in my life heard that fescue can be bad for cows, until joining CT. All my life, 95% of the pastures for cattle, beef or dairy, have been fescue. Now, I have known all of my life to not let pregnant mares eat it, but never heard anything about cows.
I had a few lose the ends of their tales but most show no effects. I have quite a bit fescue just not solid stands, a lot of warm season grasses mixed in, I've had some other cattlemen tell me I should try to get rid of it. No thanks, I'll just keep cattle that can tolerate it. Trying to get rid of fescue would probably be the equivalent of trying to get rid of kudzu, it would always be an uphill battle, better to work with than against.

I had never in my life heard that fescue can be bad for cows, until joining CT. All my life, 95% of the pastures for cattle, beef or dairy, have been fescue. Now, I have known all of my life to not let pregnant mares eat it, but never heard anything about cows.
I remember that conversation with you. The endophyte, at least the endophyte in KY31, won't have a noticeable effect 95% of the time. 95% of the remainder 5% the effect is very mild and can get dismissed for something else. It's that remaining percentage that is devistating. The concentration has to be high enough, the cow has to eat enough, there can't be mush else in the diet aside from the fescue, and the cow has to be susceptable. The result isn't good when the stars align.

I remember that conversation with you. The endophyte, at least the endophyte in KY31, won't have a noticeable effect 95% of the time. 95% of the remainder 5% the effect is very mild and can get dismissed for something else. It's that remaining percentage that is devistating. The concentration has to be high enough, the cow has to eat enough, there can't be mush else in the diet aside from the fescue, and the cow has to be susceptable. The result isn't good when the stars align.
Fescue is fine for stallions, geldings, and non-breeding mares. In brood mares, it will make the placenta so thick you will have to cut the foal out...if you happen to be there. And, it causes the mares to not produce any milk or colostrum. We are located in an area that bermuda will do well, and so will fescue. I'd say most pastures here are a mix of fescue, bermuda, and white and red clover.

I've got about 30 acres of hardwoods on my place that I would like to silvopasture, I've noticed in areas with alot of shade that it never goes to seed, wonder if there would be less effect from the endophyte in heavily shaded areas since it doesn't go to seed?
You usually plant creeping red fescue where it is shady.

View attachment 38556
Just a little info on how i do it. The tire trough and mineral feeder is in a central hub. Cattle can access it from 4 paddocks. I have them in 1/4 acre of the right paddock now. I already have the poly wire up to give them almost an acre in the center paddock probably Monday. I made that section bigger because as you can see part of it has trees and some brown area with little grass. When i turn them in the middle i will move the poly wire in the right paddock so they will go back there is 3 or 4 days. I go back and forth every few days until both areas have been grazed. Then I will begin on the next paddock.
Kenny, about the placement of the water and the mineral feeder.......I suggest a different arrangement. Your aim is to get uniform utilization across the whole pasture. There are 3 components to a grazing system that can and will result in cattle loafing around them. They are shade, water and mineral. Concentrating any 2 of these or all 3 in one spot results in animals spending a disproportinate amount of time in that area. That results in uneven utilization (spot overgrazing) nutrient sinks (more urine and manure deposited near/on the site than elsewhere) and underutilization of the remainder of the pasture. It may only be a slight effect each year, but will add up over the course of time.

I had a few lose the ends of their tales but most show no effects. I have quite a bit fescue just not solid stands, a lot of warm season grasses mixed in, I've had some other cattlemen tell me I should try to get rid of it. No thanks, I'll just keep cattle that can tolerate it. Trying to get rid of fescue would probably be the equivalent of trying to get rid of kudzu, it would always be an uphill battle, better to work with than against.
There are many ways to 'cope' with fescue. Eliminating it often isn't in the cards. Remember too, it can't be beat in terms of stockpile. You gotta know how to use it to your benefit. There are lots of things like fescue. They are darn near a necessity/fact of life, but if you aren't careful, it can hurt you. Doesn't mean it will though.

Me too... In Arkansas, if you didn't have fescue ya didn't have pasture.

Me too... In Arkansas, if you didn't have fescue ya didn't have pasture.
Yep, this is true. I never came across a farm in Ohio that didn't have it. I had one instance, after 17 years there, where a producer had it in only a 3 acre pasture of around 12 pastures totaling over 80 acres. Very strange having it absent from all of that area. For Ohio anyway.

Kenny, about the placement of the water and the mineral feeder.......I suggest a different arrangement. Your aim is to get uniform utilization across the whole pasture. There are 3 components to a grazing system that can and will result in cattle loafing around them. They are shade, water and mineral. Concentrating any 2 of these or all 3 in one spot results in animals spending a disproportinate amount of time in that area. That results in uneven utilization (spot overgrazing) nutrient sinks (more urine and manure deposited near/on the site than elsewhere) and underutilization of the remainder of the pasture. It may only be a slight effect each year, but will add up over the course of time.
I dont have the mineral there except when im grazing stockpile. Just too much trouble moving it each time. But you give me a thought. I have more mineral feeders i can bring to the paddocks from other areas. I Will do that. Thanks.

I like that setup. I'm putting a couple in this winter. I'd like to look at it and take notes if you didn't mind.

Wanted to toss up a pic of what im grazing. Unfertilized and I mowed the weeds down to 8 inches or so early September hoping for rain, but never got over an inch I don't think.

Attachments

• 20231217_171144.jpg
    20231217_171144.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 15
I dont have the mineral there except when im grazing stockpile. Just too much trouble moving it each time. But you give me a thought. I have more mineral feeders i can bring to the paddocks from other areas. I Will do that. Thanks.
Mark i will add something to your thought about utilization. As i said i strip graze the stockpile. As im getting farther away from the water all areas they are crossing have already been grazed.
The 1/4 acre strip i started with will be crossed going to water while they are grazing at least 5 or 6 more strips. I make them clean up each strip before giving them the next one so there is nothing there for them to utilize.
For summer grazing the mineral feeder will be at the other end of the paddock.

Mark i will add something to your thought about utilization. As i said i strip graze the stockpile. As im getting farther away from the water all areas they are crossing have already been grazed.
The 1/4 acre strip i started with will be crossed going to water while they are grazing at least 5 or 6 more strips. I make them clean up each strip before giving them the next one so there is nothing there for them to utilize.
For summer grazing the mineral feeder will be at the other end of the paddock.
Exactly as it should be. The extended period of time spent on this 'already grazed' strip does not harm the forage base at all during this time while the forage is dormant. If the area was repeatedly crossed over during the growing season and the animals allowed to repeatedly graze the forage when it should be resting and growing, that is a different matter. Sorry, that is also sort of a different topic.

I get what you are trying to point out in your water and mineral being together when strip grazing during the winter months. You can't exactly put the water and mineral at opposite ends of the paddock when you are only giving them access to a strip, and not the whole paddock, and the strip location is limited by its proximity to water until you have partitioned off several strips. In other words, your water and mineral proximities are not as serious as they initially appear as you do address the issue when you are able to.

Hopefully I am getting a laptop for Christmas. If i do you can send me a farm map and i will study it. Then come and look. Cost you a lunch for my time.
Just can't do some things on my phone. Lol
Got the laptop. Will get it set up and tge programs installed soon.

We seem to have a problem with the stockpile. We had a very dry fall and there is some brown in the grass. The cows are full but act hungry. I talked to clinchvalley86 and another producer today and both have noticed the same issue. Cows aren't cleaning it up as well as normal. May have to resort to some extra protein to get them to clean it up. Thoughts?

We seem to have a problem with the stockpile. We had a very dry fall and there is some brown in the grass. The cows are full but act hungry. I talked to clinchvalley86 and another producer today and both have noticed the same issue. Cows aren't cleaning it up as well as normal. May have to resort to some extra protein to get them to clean it up. Thoughts?
I don't know your area, but would guess protein deficient. They can digest a fence post with enough 28% protein cake.

Latest posts