Hay hit the ground today

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
My hay got cut today. Always some thing to watch that big swather of B's at work. 16 foot disk mower. B says you should run it at 7 mph. My fields are too small and odd shaped to really turn the beast loose. But now it is 87 degrees with a stiff breeze and the humidity is around 22%. This hay will dry quickly. Normally get around 150 3x4x8 bales and it looks like an average crop.P7033096.JPGP7033097.JPG

There is a lot of hay down around here. This has been a challenging year to make hay; we seem to have little showers almost every afternoon. I have hay that got rained on.

There is a lot of hay down around here. This has been a challenging year to make hay; we seem to have little showers almost every afternoon. I have hay that got rained on.

There is a lot of hay over in the Baker valley that got rained. The thunder showers and little drizzles all missed us.

Hay from that field hit the stack yard today. Got the smallest field stacked today too. No picture of that stack, it looks like a drunk was building it. The medium field to put in the stack, some in the morning before church and the rest on Monday. It is suppose to be 98 tomorrow. Not stacking hay tomorrow afternoon. The AC in my tractors only works November through March. The hay is in the stack so I started the irrigation water. You can tell that ground is dry. The water hasn't spread out yet. The ground is just drinking it.

P7083098.JPG

Attachments

• P7083097.JPG
    P7083097.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 22
I think.i know the s swer already, but do you cover the hay once stacked?
Some do and some don't. It is probably a wash between the cost to cover it and the little bit of loss in the top bale if you don't. Last year we had a little over 11 inches of rainfall for the year.

Some do and some don't. It is probably a wash between the cost to cover it and the little bit of loss in the top bale if you don't. Last year we had a little over 11 inches of rainfall for the year.
I can see it not being worth it then. Here if it rained on it, it wouldnt dry. It would rot and sink down.

Latest posts