Turned out today.

Help Support CattleToday:

Did you drill it right after getting the hay done? I'd like to try that if moisture will allow.

Ever done it with warm season stuff into existing stand?
It is done on a regular basis with WSG down here. Rye is common but so is oats, and crimson clover is often added. If compaction is a problem, add a forage/tillage radish.

Um....did you mean a warm season annual into a CSG perennial? If that is what you meant, try red river crabgrass into tall fescue.

It is done on a regular basis with WSG down here. Rye is common but so is oats, and crimson clover is often added. If compaction is a problem, add a forage/tillage radish.

Um....did you mean a warm season annual into a CSG perennial? If that is what you meant, try red river crabgrass into tall fescue.
Definitely meant WSG. Thinking about baling first cut on this farm this year if everything works as I'm hoping. Like to try some rafter the hay is off.

Some cool seasons would be a go potentially as well. Get some good gains sounds like.

That is assuming moisture is present. Won't hold my breath though

View attachment 39253
I think they will make it through the winter. Another 3/8 acre. Should have divided it but got lazy.View attachment 39255
Were you in part of the drought this fall? I had some sheep issues years ago after a fall drought. The Vet did some research and found that drought stressed fescue in the fall has high levels of endophytes. It was the only study I ever saw on that subject. But the cows, even if used to and tolerating the endophytes can still be affected. We strip graze stockpiled fescue and I am seeing particular strips or spots that the cows are grazing normally and other areas where they are leaving more than normal. I am guessing that it has something to do with the endophytes. On a new move, the first thing that some are going for is the dead johnsongrass.

Were you in part of the drought this fall? I had some sheep issues years ago after a fall drought. The Vet did some research and found that drought stressed fescue in the fall has high levels of endophytes. It was the only study I ever saw on that subject. But the cows, even if used to and tolerating the endophytes can still be affected. We strip graze stockpiled fescue and I am seeing particular strips or spots that the cows are grazing normally and other areas where they are leaving more than normal. I am guessing that it has something to do with the endophytes. On a new move, the first thing that some are going for is the dead johnsongrass.
That's interesting. Never heard of sheep being affected by the KY31 endophyte.

Yes we were in drought. And they are not grazing as usual im sure.

I think the thermo meter may have gotten slightly down into the red (below freezing) part earlier this morning.. Will be in the 80s later this week.

18 here this morning... they said mid 20's.... yeah, what do they know....Sun is out and up to 28 at 9 a.m. Oh well, it is only February....
Yep, ground hog said..... it is 6 weeks from ground hog day to mid-march... so first day of spring is about the 20th??? Yep, right around the corner...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Kenny, I hope the groundhog is right. It has been a long winter. I started feeding in October due to drought.
Grass has greened up and daffodils are budding, but it was 15 degrees here this morning.
Seems I always have to feed through late March into early April, no matter what the groundhog says.