Cost of Lime

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
I had lime spread on my hayfield about 3 weeks ago and the man who spreads it finally brought the bill by where my wife works. It cost 18 dollars a ton.
I paid $20 per 4X5 roll to get the hay (two cuttings- about 2/3 of normal yield) on the same field cut, raked and rolled. All I had to do was line it up in a row after he was done. Also had my hillsides bush hogged with a batwing and dual wheel 4 wheel drive tractor at $100 an hour.
While all of these are up from previous years, I feel I got a bargain.
I never even ask the price from these men as I have dealt with them for years.

2 years ago a guy here was getting $60/hr for bush hogging with a 2 wd tractor and a single bush hog that was probably 7-8 ft or something... My son does a couple of places and I think he is up to $75 or more with the 15 ft batwing, but he uses the big heavy Alis 7040 (?)..2wd.... I bush hog with it some and it is like driving an elephant, although very responsive steering, but it handles most all the places we do since it is so heavy. Son uses it with the round baler (5x6) on the hills we make hay on... holds the baler good...

I won't start a tractor for less than $100 an hour. Put an implement behind it and the price only goes up from there.

Pay the operator a wage, put fuel in things, maintain things, insure things, save $$$ for when things break, etc and $100 an hour dissappears quick.

Guys running a piece of equipment or two for $60-75 an hour aren't too interested in a profit. They like working hard all day for little/no gain.

NE Texas I just paid $46/ton for lime to be hauled in and spread. Cost as skyrocketed around here as no one wants to do it anymore

NE Texas I just paid $46/ton for lime to be hauled in and spread. Cost as skyrocketed around here as no one wants to do it anymore
You're probably getting lime from near Idabel, OK, and similar distance but opposite direction from me. I paid $44 per ton delivered and spread 3 years ago. I believe the lime was only $6 at the quarry of the $44. The rest is mileage, equipment and labor.
Seems cheap to me. I wouldn't do it for that.

You're probably getting lime from near Idabel, OK, and similar distance but opposite direction from me. I paid $44 per ton delivered and spread 3 years ago. I believe the lime was only $6 at the quarry of the $44. The rest is mileage, equipment and labor.
Seems cheap to me. I wouldn't do it for
Seems cheap to me. I wouldn't do it for that.
yes. Right out of idabel. Labor is always the worst of anything

I had lime spread on my hayfield about 3 weeks ago and the man who spreads it finally brought the bill by where my wife works. It cost 18 dollars a ton.
I paid $20 per 4X5 roll to get the hay (two cuttings- about 2/3 of normal yield) on the same field cut, raked and rolled. All I had to do was line it up in a row after he was done. Also had my hillsides bush hogged with a batwing and dual wheel 4 wheel drive tractor at $100 an hour.
While all of these are up from previous years, I feel I got a bargain.
I never even ask the price from these men as I have dealt with them for years.
A steal on all accounts and I could actually make some decent money farming at those rates if they were reliable help.
I won't start a tractor for less than $100 an hour. Put an implement behind it and the price only goes up from there.

Pay the operator a wage, put fuel in things, maintain things, insure things, save $$$ for when things break, etc and $100 an hour dissappears quick.

Guys running a piece of equipment or two for $60-75 an hour aren't too interested in a profit. They like working hard all day for little/no gain.
I agree 100% every time I think my rates are plenty high something breaks and I get the repair bill. I realize real quick that I am still very fair with my prices.

I agree these prices are very reasonable, particularly with the way cattle are selling. I live in a famously tight fisted area where people are very reluctant to reach into their pockets.
Unfortunately all these operators are entering their mid 60s and there is nobody coming along to replace them.
Our local economy is transitioning from small farms once kept alive by the tobacco program to one based on government jobs or the whiskey industry.
There are some young people involved in cattle but most are backgrounders doing things in a big way. I am a relict of the old days in the way I farm, only made possible by a pension and a wife that still works,