Anybody ever spread lime or fertilizer with a.......

Help Support CattleToday:

Every spring and fall one guy here spreads lime with one.
I was trying to find a spreader to rent but there are none to be had, I been shopping around to see if I could find one cheap enough to justify owning it and have ran across tons of salt spreaders cheap, or fairly cheap compared to fertilizer buggies. I have a trailer that I can mount one on but I would probably have to modify the chute at the rear and shorten it some. Most of the ones I see for sale are made to go in the bed of a dump truck and the chute has a long tail to drop it closer to the ground. Looks to be made Identical to a fertilizer spreader on a buggy except for that long dropped tail. At least the salt spreaders are stainless steel which is a big plus.

The only possible problem is the lime is more dense and heavier than salt... so might have to work with smaller loads to make sure it will work... we used our litter spreader and had to do 1/2 loads due to the dense weight of the lime... messed up the chain feeder...shoveled the WHOLE load off by hand off the sides.... move the truck, shovel some more....fixed the chain..... once he went with a lesser/lighter load it worked....

A few years back I used my 4wheeler and a push garden spreader/seeder bungied to the back rack where the bags of lime stacked nicely. Took a few days but worked. There is a will there is a way.

Latest posts