Who's fixin to start feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Just went through our pastures and since we missed that last rain and the forecast shows only sun and heat, aint nothing gonna be growing. We have maybe a week left till we feed hay.

I sure hope everyone got their hay early.. I'll say, if this is going to be our 10 yr drought, we're in better shape than ever before.

I put the last of the hay in the stack yard this morning. I am all set to feed hay. Thankfully it will about mid November, maybe early December when that happens.

I'm not going to feed hay. If it gets to that point we are out. I've supplemented protein with cubes or wcs where needed.

We had 1-2.5" last week depending on the area and it perked things up nicely. I have 2 places waiting for fence that haven't had cows in a year and 2. We are just going to stock them with cattle we own, not going to buy any thing.

Yep started 3 weeks ago as well
Same here.
I going to start hauling to the salebarn. I have owned cows for over fifty year's, might not have any by the end of summer. There is no substantial rain in sight, this is worse than 2011.
The two commercial hay producers in the county have hung it up one is 80 the other 76. That right there is going to put a lot of old cattlemen out as well. I have already had the NCRS out to look at put the place in pine plantation as well as the biologist about putting it in wildlife management.

Same here.
I going to start hauling to the salebarn. I have owned cows for over fifty year's, might not have any by the end of summer. There is no substantial rain in sight, this is worse than 2011.
The two commercial hay producers in the county have hung it up one is 80 the other 76. That right there is going to put a lot of old cattlemen out as well. I have already had the NCRS out to look at put the place in pine plantation as well as the biologist about putting it in wildlife management.
We have had 9.35 inches of rain since January 1, that is 3 inches ahead of 2011 at this point. It took 3 weeks to catch 4 calves to sell last month, they were content, just wouldn't come up out of the shade. Last week they followed like puppy dogs hoping I would take them to something better. I still have grass, but its pretty much just standing hay at this point.

Never really stopped. Just got 2-1/2 inches in the last 2 days. Maybe everything that cooked will bounce back

I drove across four counties today Tyler, Polk, Trinity and Angelina.
Bet I didn't see a 100 head, just empty pasture after pasture. Places all my life that beautiful herds of cattle, nothing I actually saw more goats.
Lot of pastures growing up you can tell they have been empty for a year.
No money in cows with these inputs.

Latest posts