Time to start stockpiling

Help Support CattleToday:

It's amazing to me what a perfect system it really is if management will allow. And aside from moving regularly, it's a system of doing less than conventional methods, depending on how you look at it.
The problem is that cattle will walk off your nutrients..... like graze a while then go stand in the shade or the pond taking their manure and urine with them. That's why I like moving them quickly and clipping at least a couple times a year to put all that residue back down. I think it's similar effect as unrolling hay but better.
About clipping tall pastures now like what you said with blackberries ....too many weeds will close off the canopy and not allow your grass to capture sunlight... clipping to open the canopy would most likely be productive just don't go too short

Already have my Urea bought and trying to get the areas grazed down. Will spread the Urea just before labor day.
Why do you use Urea instead of ammonia nitrate? I used to think Urea was better incorporated and ammonia better on top of the ground, but I'm no expert

The problem is that cattle will walk off your nutrients..... like graze a while then go stand in the shade or the pond taking their manure and urine with them. That's why I like moving them quickly and clipping at least a couple times a year to put all that residue back down. I think it's similar effect as unrolling hay but better.
About clipping tall pastures now like what you said with blackberries ....too many weeds will close off the canopy and not allow your grass to capture sunlight... clipping to open the canopy would most likely be productive just don't go too short
I am considering going to clip the bad spots. Where cattle loafed around in winter and spring is where it's weedy. A few big patches of blackberries. I despise them when in patches.

That is the only problem I see, too. Aside from building some portable shade, it's not really manageable for me. Can count our usable shade trees with two hands.

Visited with my mother who lives 15 minutes from yesterday. She got a nice pleasant rain. Drove home and the rain stopped right at the property line. Wet pavement, dry pavement.