Who's fixin to start feeding hay

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope the guys who did not prepare for the hay shortage, dug their ponds out between now and the last drought. If they didnt, blowing a lot of money on hay now and having to sell because you've run out of water... doesnt pencil out well either.

SO, we went into our hay adventure with no crystal ball. But today, it took a turn. Apparently, we've found buyers for every scrap of grass.. All we have to do is bale and get our fee for it. Lucky, have you seen the fields we're working in?

SO, we went into our hay adventure with no crystal ball. But today, it took a turn. Apparently, we've found buyers for every scrap of grass.. All we have to do is bale and get our fee for it. Lucky, have you seen the fields we're working in?
I don't believe I've seen them. I don't get over that way much. I hit 271 S. at Deport most days and head to Paris. I've got a good deal on all the hay I need so not really worried. I'll supplement with grain or cubes if I need too.

I've got some guys out building fence and they are driving the brace post 5' deep. One lacked about 8" so he ran about 100 gallons of water around the post really slow. He only got it another 2" in the ground but it sure did green up the grass the next morning. It let me know there is still some hope if we get a little rain.

We just rolled up our second cutting ( which is surprising given the drought conditions). Surprisingly , we got one more bale than last year's second cutting. I'm shocked but very pleased with the quality. I feel a little teeny tiny bit better at this point. We're planning on selling calves a little bit earlier than normal except for a little group of nice heifers. We will probably squeak by this year because we always understock and use rotational grazing.

Pray for rain!

We started feeding our Milk cows hay today. The beef herd has 6 weeks of grass left, no rain in sight...

I know this is about hay and grass but it all heads to the same spot in the end. I talked to a sale barn owner yesterday and he told me one of the big packer buyers was pulling out this week with no indication on when they would return and the rest of them dropped their prices by $15. That's starting to sound more like drought prices. I sold 10 head last week and averaged 73 cents per pound. Some were average condition and some were pretty skinny. None were as fat as they should have been so I was pretty happy with it. Anyway it sounds like the time to sell was last week around here anyway.

I know this is about hay and grass but it all heads to the same spot in the end. I talked to a sale barn owner yesterday and he told me one of the big packer buyers was pulling out this week with no indication on when they would return and the rest of them dropped their prices by $15. That's starting to sound more like drought prices. I sold 10 head last week and averaged 73 cents per pound. Some were average condition and some were pretty skinny. None were as fat as they should have been so I was pretty happy with it. Anyway it sounds like the time to sell was last week around here anyway.
Will see Monday I'm hauling some open cows I had palpated today up there Sunday but I plan to buy more young thin angus cows Monday myself

I saw where someone in Nevada was selling Orchard grass hay. 65 pound small squares for $18 a bale. That works up to $553 a ton. 700 pound big squares (must be 3x3) for $175 a bale. That works out to $490 a ton. If I had to pay those prices I would sell everything but the dog.

65 pound small squares for $18 a bale. That works up to $553 a ton. 700 pound big squares (must be 3x3) for $175 a bale.
The small squares sounds about like 2011 prices. Don't ever see many big squares where I was but in 2011, 900lb dusty as hell rounds (4x5) went for $125and they were mostly imported from southeastern states.. probably 2008-2009 leftovers. Bahia.

New neighbor down the road is from the Metromess. He had some prairie grass and bermuda baled. He sold some to another neighbor for their horses. His "neighbor" price is $100 for round bale; non-neighbor price is $140.

I'm with Dave.....l'd sell everything but the dog at those prices.

Oh, the neighbor from the Metromess has managexd to have a falling out with the guy baling his hay this year. He had the same issue last year. Sure glad he's a down the done the road neighbor since there appears to be a pattern emerging.

Latest posts