Rainy day hay feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Finally getting some significant rain . Weatherman saying 3-5 inches over the next 3-4 days . Of course every herd needed hay this morning. Tried to catch a slack period but about the time I get started it poured . Not complaining! I'll take wet and muddy over dry and dusty any time. Ponds are slowly filling back up , creeks are running. May hit 70 degrees a couple of days . Welcome to N Alabama weather. 🤠

Finally getting some significant rain . Weatherman saying 3-5 inches over the next 3-4 days . Of course every herd needed hay this morning. Tried to catch a slack period but about the time I get started it poured . Not complaining! I'll take wet and muddy over dry and dusty any time. Ponds are slowly filling back up , creeks are running. May hit 70 degrees a couple of days . Welcome to N Alabama weather. 🤠
We are a few hours East of you and are getting hammered. 6" in last 36 hrs. Say 2"-3" more coming.
Elevation is a big issue here. We just got back from checking culverts on new pasture, water is ripping.

Those years on the Washington coast with 60 inches of rain. Most of the rain fell Nov-April. By March you were so tired of the rain and mud. But by late August you were praying for rain. But it could have been worse. I know people over there who run cows in areas which get 100+ inches a year.
One time I was talking to a rancher for Shoshoni Wyoming. He was saying how many sets of insulated coverall he had. I had none. Told told him how many sets of rain gear I had. He had none

3.1 in the rain gauge this am . That's over 6 for the week and more on the way ! Yes my new cab tractor is muddy inside and out but I'll get the inside cleaned back out ! 😁 2 ponds were running out the spillways . Didn't drive to check the other 2 , left my truck parked at the corral and walked to the creek crossing to unstop the drainage pipes . Almost 70 degrees, for some reason I'm now sitting in a shooting house waiting on Bambi . After the flu , first time I've felt like hunting. I've lost about 5 lbs due to being sick ; need to lose another 15-20 at least before mid Jan . Got an occasion I have to wear a tux . Don't want to look like the penguin from Batman.

We're in a boat here too. My 22yo son hit a deer on the way to drill last weekend.
Then I slid off the county road same weekend and made babies with a pine tree.

We just got finished helping each other replace our front bumpers underneath the pole shed. Rain blowing in just added to the memories.

We both bought good used bumpers from a local salvage yard, but our outboard brackets were tweaked. We straightened them with a combination of using a T post driver as a cheater bar, with the other end poked into the receiver hitch. Fine tuned it with a hammer over top of the correct diameter stove wood.

Son was laughing before we got it all done. I told him what my Dad told me. "A poor man has poor ways, sometimes". Most times we just have fun and do it.

Watching his expression as I was holding the bracket, and told him "don't hit me with the claw end" was priceless.

Those years on the Washington coast with 60 inches of rain. Most of the rain fell Nov-April. By March you were so tired of the rain and mud. But by late August you were praying for rain. But it could have been worse. I know people over there who run cows in areas which get 100+ inches a year.
One time I was talking to a rancher for Shoshoni Wyoming. He was saying how many sets of insulated coverall he had. I had none. Told told him how many sets of rain gear I had. He had none
Those old boys were tough. Dad rode all that country in the late 50's early 60's. He spent some very cold day out on the desert; he said not one single cowboy quit because of the cold. He talks about getting off his horse to break ice cycles off his horses nose; he said they were about 12" long. He rode all the way from Wamsutter to Shoshoni, and almost to Casper. Back in those days all the ranches ran in common, and during roundup there would be several ranches gathering cattle. They would be sorting cattle back and forth our of three herds; like in the Charles Russel painting. When It came time to ween calves they saved their best horse, they ween out on the open desert. One group of cowboys would take the cows one direction, and the others would take the calves the other way, going as fast as they could go. Back in those days they didn't have insulated coveralls, they were just tough.

A couple years ago when we moved my cows off the desert west of Rawlins late in October it never got above freezing. I froze my butt off, last year at the end of October it was not near as cold, and this year it was the best I have ever seen for the middle of October; it was a great day to ride, I just wish the horse I was riding was not so much of a plug. He belongs to my uncle, and he said that horse is even to lazy to buck; he did try with me once or twice. Before we got to the corals he was done, I was almost afoot with him, as he was done, and didn't want anything to do with cow.

Latest posts