Which way do you swing?

Help Support CattleToday:

TheFutureFarmer

Reaction score
Just curious as to why people chose the cow-calf/seedstock, stocker/grazer, or feedlot type of cattle business. Is it way of life? Money? Grew up in it?

For me this is the 3rd year I have farmed, with stocker calves on pasture the past 3 summers. I chose this because I am busy with college most of the year and the summer is the only time I really have to farm. Might switch to cow-calf years after I graduate.

I have been doing cow/calf for about 23 years now, I think a lot of people's choices come down to the land and feed they have available to them. I would like to start doing grass-fed finishing, and might hold a couple steers over the winter to test out the waters. It certainly is a way of life for me, and I did grow up in it, Money, well, it'll pay the bills if you keep your belt tight.

I always wanted my own herd. Growing up I worked with my cousins and their herds. No money in it for me, but I plan on leaving a good herd for my son. To me nothing beats seeing a new born calf and it's mom bonding together.

Cow calf.

No money so we went to the sales and bought one or two that nobody wanted. Brought them home, wormed and vaccinated and threw them out with a bull to eat. Now we have quite a nice herd.

Cow/calf. Nurse cows.

Input versus output. Capital expenditures. Versatility.

Buy some stock in Kleenex. That way when you cry your eyes out one year, it won't be a total loss! :D

I have survived severe drought. Moderate drought. Floods. Survived being burned out with 3 barns lost and all the fencing too (most disheartening of all).

I try to put my eggs in several baskets.

Cow/Calf, year six.
Love animals, love the outdoors and had some acreage to utilize. I get as excited (maybe more!) about calving season as I did Christmas as a kid. :cboy:

There is a sense of accomplishment and pride in having produced a real product, from basically nothing - that is where cow/calf fits in. As the 85 year old fellow, I took a bull to a week ago, said: "If you don't have cows, your not a real farmer...just a bloodsucking middle man trying to steal a piece of the pie." I got a kick out of that. He's torn a new one for some of the backgrounders around here when they start whining about money and how expensive cattle are.

Right now I am raising heifers that I will sell as bred heifers. I will do that for another year or two but I know there is a market correction coming and I don't want to be holding a bunch of expensive heifers when that happens, For a lot of years I was cow/calf. I got tired of fighting sick calves in the mud. If I go back to the cow/calf I will switch to late summer/early fall calving.

Suzie Q":2elirjzz said:
Cow calf.

No money so we went to the sales and bought one or two that nobody wanted. Brought them home, wormed and vaccinated and threw them out with a bull to eat. Now we have quite a nice herd.

*snicker* And here I was thinking they'd want to eat grass!

I certainly get more excited about calving time than christmas.

Aaron, I like that old guy, he's got it spot on! the cow calf guys had enough miserable years! It sounds like BSE caused more trouble out your way than it did out here, but it was still a kick in the nuts to see your best heifers go for 80 cents. That being said we're sucking hind tit on prices now if you compare to prices in the states.. Seems like 4-500 lb NICE steers are going for 2.00-2.25, which sounds like it's $.75 off from down south. As long as it doesn't CRASH I am not going to complain though

"If you don't have cows, your not a real farmer...just a bloodsucking middle man trying to steal a piece of the pie."
that was hilarious!
I'll admit I was one of the guys tearing up at the sale barn when I saw how high they were this year! This market seems to just keep climbing though, lets just hope it doesn't crash in October.

In defense of the backgrounder/grazer, there is no messing with cattle in the freezing snow and you can choose how many calves you want to mess with that year (dry year=fewer calves). However with declining cattle numbers, it is going to be harder to find good calves that will be profitable.

Well I was a hog guy that ended kind of badly. Prices went all to heck. So I bought 12 cows didn't know a thing about them other then they eat grass and corn. did ok the first year so I bought 42 more. up to 65 now. Guess I can't complain probably will though :D Learned some stuff the hard way :)

cow/calf operation for me.. grew up in and around the dairy, and cow/calf operation, so I knew I was destined for it.

Latest posts