where's the compassion gone?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
chrisy":2u3xzexo said:
CUZ":2u3xzexo said:
That's one of the problems with church - all those imperfect people that go there. Some of them are stubborn and set in their ways. Some of them are insensitive or just plain unaware. And unfortunately a LOT of them are BABIES. (Some of the babies stay and may never mature, and some of the babies leave and will never mature.) Hopefully, you and I are "running our own race" trying to be who WE should be.

It just amazes me that church is the only place it seems to be acceptable to say "I quit because they are rude/gossips/insensitive/etc" (pick one or more). Have you ever heard anyone say "The cashier at the grocery was rude to me, so I've quit buying groceries" or "I'm getting out of the cattle business because the guy at the co-op was curt with me" ??? No, of course not! But because there are a lot of Demas'es (II Tim 4:10), when people quit they've always got a receptive audience, ready to self-justify their own actions by agreeing with the newest Demas. (If I've made you mad see -Galatians 4:16.) Anyway, my point is, if you want to quit church (I hope you won't), then do it. Just don't bad-mouth those of us who may fall short of your expectations of how we should be. We already know we're not perfect, but hopefully we haven't quit working on it.

Read and study your Bible
Cuz

where did I bad mouth the woman, nowhere I simply stated what happened. I never said I wasn't going to church again, and when I go on Sunday I will most likely sit where I normally sit. and now all my friends know what has happened to me they will make a space for me, so as I can elevate my knee there. I know nobody is perfect not even me, but manners cost nothing and common curtesy is a vertue, compassion in Church is what one would expect from most. I would stand if there were no other seats if someone was injured and needed to sit, does it matter where you sit in church as GOD hears you where ever you are. read the Good Samaritain, compassion provails. I have read my Bible many times and it has helped me through many a bad time. I have prayed for the woman since, that she may learn from what she did and maybe grow from what was not said. as least said soonest mended. God Bless Chris.
I don't think this was directed to you but at those who said they quit going to church for similar reasons.

Alan":378xenpc said:
CUZ":378xenpc said:
That's one of the problems with church - all those imperfect people that go there. Some of them are stubborn and set in their ways. Some of them are insensitive or just plain unaware. And unfortunately a LOT of them are BABIES. (Some of the babies stay and may never mature, and some of the babies leave and will never mature.) Hopefully, you and I are "running our own race" trying to be who WE should be.

It just amazes me that church is the only place it seems to be acceptable to say "I quit because they are rude/gossips/insensitive/etc" (pick one or more). Have you ever heard anyone say "The cashier at the grocery was rude to me, so I've quit buying groceries" or "I'm getting out of the cattle business because the guy at the co-op was curt with me" ??? No, of course not! But because there are a lot of Demas'es (II Tim 4:10), when people quit they've always got a receptive audience, ready to self-justify their own actions by agreeing with the newest Demas. (If I've made you mad see -Galatians 4:16.) Anyway, my point is, if you want to quit church (I hope you won't), then do it. Just don't bad-mouth those of us who may fall short of your expectations of how we should be. We already know we're not perfect, but hopefully we haven't quit working on it.

Cuz

I do quit and I still quit, I don't play these games in the house of God. It's the leaders place to maintain control, not mine. I won't worship with these type of people, life is to short to deal with jerks on Sunday as well as other days... I need to look forward to going to church not dread it. In 48 yrs I haven't found a church that hasn't had these problems.Alan

And, Alan, you won't. You have to decide what's important to you. Myself, I quite going to church when my mother had a stroke and no one bothered to visit her after it was apparent that she was not the same person that they knew. My mother was a strong point in that church...she was sought after for Sunday School lessons. She was asked to preach lay Sunday...yet, when she became someone different because of an illness, no one rallied...not even the minister. That's when I cut my ties with the church that I was a cradle roll member of.

But, not all are the same...no, I don't go to church...but it has it's place and it's a comfort to so many. I wish I could get past my aversion to organized religion.

Alice

Alice":1w04a1t3 said:
I wish I could get past my aversion to organized religion.

Alice

You hit the nail on the head! Organized religion is discouraging! Being in a Spirit-Filled church is ENCOURAGING. Remember, if how we (others) talk and act on Monday at work is different than how we (others) talk and act on Sunday at church, then we are not spiritual....we are merely religious. Find a church that is more spiritual than religious. It is AWESOME.

(I guess Spirit-Filled means different things around the country, I don't mean rolling in the isles, although thats O.K. by me, I mean a church that is way more concerned with treating people right than doing things right. ) I'm through rambling.

i just recently started goinjg back to church, i used to tell my self that i can do the same thing in my own back yard, garden, barn where ever, except i never really did it. i went back to the church that i attended when i was little, i really dont know everyone anymore, but the few that i do know makes it more pleasant than not knowing a single person. its a small church, so it dont take too long to become aquainted, i am not an outgoing social type person, i dont have alot to say,i dont think i am a very interesting person, so i listen more than talk. which is fine with me. but i do enjoy going to this church, there is no back biting, or, oh look at her or him, didnt they wear the same thing 2 weeks ago, who is that, that they brought in with the tatoo...etc etc. but i believe there may be in one of the other 2 churches that the preacher preaches at, cuz the sermons have sure been leading in that direction. he said that next week he would speak on tounge waggers. but i have been in churches where all of the above has shown up, it was more like tight clicks, or all family groups, and they made ya feel like it was thier church....not Gods house. if ya dont like one church, ya might just try one more and it might be the one for you. :)

samm

I attend church to please my God not to please the others that attend. I could care less what the others may think of me and the house of the Lord is no place for me to have evil thoughts of others. Try turning the other cheek.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":355q4oj0 said:
Try turning the other cheek.

That is out of the New Testament. Some don't recognize it.

For those who do read and believe the New Testament, my favorite it the sermon on the mound. I must have read it 100 times, but I guess that's personal too.

I wish everyone peace, joy and happiness. Remember Chrisy's scenario the next time you are in church. Smile at someone or everybody. They'll either think you are up to something or else they'll think there are actually friendly folks there. It is their choice.

chrisy might I ask the approximate age of the person?
Yes it could make a difference. Have you notice the inclination of older folks to "save" things? It's because if they throw them away they might have "lost" that day forever. And if things change for them they become confused and disoriented. Including where they might sit at church. Not condoning rude behavior, just asking all of you consider what their take on it might be. The way you treat them will be observed by those that will taking care of you someday.
---------------------------------------------------------
Alice did you ask your mother what she wanted? My father slowly stopped pastorial duties. His churh first, then weddings, then filling in for the pastor of his church, his Sunday school class and finally volunteering for open prayer. He was terribly afraid he would forget what he was doing in public. So on Wed when I was there, I would volunteer when they called on him on prayer night. I don't proclaim I am a christian. But I did love my father.

Alan . . . sorry you've had such bad experiences.

Chrisy . . . I was not saying you bad mouthed anyone. Believe me, I understand your plight. Dad would park at the far end of the parking lot so he could leave the "close parking" for some "old" person or the late arrivals and he did this all the way up into his early 80's and now I find I'm still doing it. Anyway, Ted D. was right about what I wrote.

Also, when I said thank them for their "Christian understanding" that was the sarcastic smart aleck in me coming out. Please don't say that. MPR and BHB's answer of turning the other cheek is much better.

Hope you get your much wanted health back real soon.
Cuz

Cuz...sorry perhaps I read it wrong.

dj the woman in question is a little older than me, only in her early 60's, if she had been much older I may have understood more, and probably moved. but she is one that has always been like that, even at school so I am told, and I don't have much time for prima-donnas. at church we are all as one and there for the same thing I would like to think, to worship our Lord, and maybe give thanks that we have made it through another week, without to much bother. I hate all this he/she has more/less than so and so. I always say to that 'We live in the same sort of house, we all drive a car, we all work for our living, so how come you think you are different'. As the bible says we come into this world with nothing and we leave with nothing, it's what you do in the middle that counts, and trying to be a nice person is worth more than gold to me.

CUZ":24i6j9lj said:

Cuz

whatever ya think!

It's easy to look at others and see a reason not to go to church. But it's hard to look at yourself and see the reason you need to go .

Lets see... some of my church experiences. Besides being asked to move.

Preacher had and affair with his sec. ruined two marriages and the church.

Treasure ran off with about $5000 in deposits.

Newbies in church split the congregation and ran out the preacher, who had built the church constrution and congregation wise some 20 years earlier.

Young officer in a church said he was going to ask me to do something and telling him no was just like telling God no.

After my wife and I ran the youth program at our church for two years, we had the oppurtunity to move to another city. The preacher and his assistants were so mad at us for moving to a better life they refused to talk to us or help with the move.

All these were different churches throughout my life... my neck is sore and my cheeks hurt... not going to turn the other one for a while.

Alan

dj":1xvur2uh said:
Alice did you ask your mother what she wanted?

We didn't have to ask mother...she would lay in her bed or sit in her wheel chair and cry about it and ask over and over "why have they left me? What did I do? "

Alice

chrisy in that case it was probably sanctimonious attitude.
-------------------------
Alice I'm sorry for the pain it caused you and your mother.
Abandonment by those you have committed time and effort to
is a hurtful thing.

I dont go to church myself, never really have and probably never will ever start. I have been maybe a half dozen times in my 45 years of living. I sit down a few times and tried to read through the whole bible. Always made it through the new testiment and most of the old testiment. The old testiment was pretty hard for me to understand. But listening to all of you who do go to church brings to mind some of the things that i remember reading in the bible. Such as there will be multitudes tring to get into heaven but only a small amount will make it. And something about you must forgive everyone who has tresspassed against you 50 times over. I dont know why these things comes to mind when i read some of the replys to this thread but they do.

But something else comes to mind. There is a fella on another forum who is a Moderator there and he is well liked by everyone. He does not post to often but is always very curtious to everyone and respectful. He never has anything negative to say to anyone. By talking to him i dont think he is a rich person but someone who has worked for everything he has. I have alot of respect for him to simply because of the way he gets along so well with so many different types of people. He has a little saying underneath his avatar that is a pretty good way of looking at other people when you think about it. It goes something like this. " Remember that 70 % of the people you meet every day are below average." The more i think about that little saying the more meaning it has. Just like the people who are rude in church or other places. You know that lady who came into church and ask you to move because you have her seat wants to be a good person. Or she would not be attending church. She and others like her probably fall into that 70 % that is below average. People like that are not mature in their thinking sort of like a kid. So it is up to the 30% above average people who are mature in their way of thinking to over look and to help these type of people. Exspecially in a church type atmosphere.

I would say that the gentlemen who parked futherest away from the church allowing other people (elderly, handicapped what ever) and MPR who goes to church to worship god regardless of what other people think or do and dj's way of evaluateing the reasons older people act the way they do are all good examples of people who fall into this 30 % above average (mature way of thinking type of people)

That is just my 2 cents worth. Probably should have tried to stay in that 30 % catagory and kepy my mouth shut. :(

Stepper":1aj6h724 said:
But listening to all of you who do go to church brings to mind some of the things that i remember reading in the bible. Such as there will be multitudes tring to get into heaven but only a small amount will make it.

That is just my 2 cents worth. Probably should have tried to stay in that 30 % catagory and kepy my mouth shut. :(

I think that the way I understood the first part is that there would be few Jewish people maybe to the amount of 144,000 but a multitude of gentiles ( everyone else). My understanding is that is because they didn't accept Jesus as their savior.

Your 2 cents is very valuable as it is what you have to give.

Take care.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3hicsi6h said:
I attend church to please my God not to please the others that attend. I could care less what the others may think of me and the house of the Lord is no place for me to have evil thoughts of others. Try turning the other cheek.

Good post.

Wewild":ylp0uo6d said:
Stepper":ylp0uo6d said:
But listening to all of you who do go to church brings to mind some of the things that i remember reading in the bible. Such as there will be multitudes tring to get into heaven but only a small amount will make it.

I think that the way I understood the first part is that there would be few Jewish people maybe to the amount of 144,000 but a multitude of gentiles ( everyone else). My understanding is that is because they didn't accept Jesus as their savior.

Take care.

Huh? Please explain to this moron.... Where did jews come into this?????

I'm not Jewish, but Huh?

Alan

Alan":38r9tp5r said:

I'm not Jewish, but Huh?

Alan

Look at number 4 and 9. I didn't write it.

Stepper had stated he believed only a small number would get into heavan and this is not what is said here. The scripture also says something about the number each of the tribes will have.

Revelation
Chapter 7

1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, 2 holding back the four winds of the earth so that no wind could blow on land or sea or against any tree.
Then I saw another angel come up from the East, 3 holding the seal of the living God. He cried out in a loud voice to the four angels who were given power to damage the land and the sea,
"Do not damage the land or the sea or the trees until we put the seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God."
I heard the number of those who had been marked with the seal, one hundred and forty-four thousand marked 4 from every tribe of the Israelites:
twelve thousand were marked from the tribe of Judah, 5 twelve thousand from the tribe of Reuben, twelve thousand from the tribe of Gad,
twelve thousand from the tribe of Asher, twelve thousand from the tribe of Naphtali, twelve thousand from the tribe of Manasseh,
twelve thousand from the tribe of Simeon, twelve thousand from the tribe of Levi, twelve thousand from the tribe of Issachar,
twelve thousand from the tribe of Zebulun, twelve thousand from the tribe of Joseph, and twelve thousand were marked from the tribe of Benjamin.
After this I had a vision of a great multitude, which no one could count, from every nation, race, people, and tongue. They stood before the throne and before the Lamb, wearing white robes and holding palm branches 6 in their hands.
They cried out in a loud voice: "Salvation comes from 7 our God, who is seated on the throne, and from the Lamb."
All the angels stood around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. They prostrated themselves before the throne, worshiped God,
and exclaimed: "Amen. Blessing and glory, wisdom and thanksgiving, honor, power, and might be to our God forever and ever. Amen."
Then one of the elders spoke up and said to me, "Who are these wearing white robes, and where did they come from?"
I said to him, "My lord, you are the one who knows." He said to me, "These are the ones who have survived the time of great distress; 8 they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
"For this reason they stand before God's throne and worship him day and night in his temple. The one who sits on the throne will shelter them.
They will not hunger or thirst anymore, nor will the sun or any heat strike them.
For the Lamb who is in the center of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to springs of life-giving water, 9 and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes."

Alan":3pgig1oj said:
Wewild":3pgig1oj said:
Stepper":3pgig1oj said:

Take care.

I'm not Jewish, but Huh?

Alan

The 144,000 refers to "the remnant" (Messianic Jews)that seeks refuge in Bosra and calls on God to save them which sparks the second coming of Our Lord. This is after the rapture of the church, and after the second holocaust, which will claim 2 out of 3 jews.

Hosea 5:15 "I will go and return to my place, till they acknowledge their offense, and seek my face:in their affliction they will seek me early (or earnestly)!
;-) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts