where's the compassion gone?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisy

Reaction score
went to Church this morning, figured I'd take a pew at the end next to the wall, so as I could keep my knee out of the way of others. I went near the front so people would not have to go around me. I was sitting there waiting for the service to start and would you believe a woman (I was going to say Lady) asked me to move as this was the seat she always sits in, and I sit on the otherside. My friend and I couldn't beleive it, a man sitting behind said to her 'show some compassion she has a broken knee', she stood there waiting for me to move, until the Pastor came and asked her to sit elsewhere, I felt so embarassed everyone looking I wanted to leave, then was told 'No why should you, you have done nothing wrong' so I stayed until the end, and it was a good a service, and thankfully the Pastor never mentioned anything about it, just gave his wishes that I would be better soon and asked everyone to pray for me. Wonder whether she did?

That is truly amazing, but unfortunately not too surprising. I'm sure we all have similar stories of such rudeness and insensitivity. Glad you stuck by your guns.

Don't ya just love the ladies that have their assigned seats and no one better be sitting in them -
my old church had a few that would just come and stand like that if someone was in their seat
didn't matter the reason - it was their seat
My Grandmother used to laugh and say they had that part of the wood worn down to fit their rear.

But Chrisy - I'm glad that you felt well enough to venture out to church! :)

Carlos D.":21piu77r said:
CHRISY
I suppose asking you for a dance now ,would be right out of the question :)

carl

:lol: :lol: :lol: would have to be the hop down on crouches,
I still have my sense of humour. when I was on the floor after my accident, everyone thought I was crying but I was laughing so much I couldn't move, but I think that was my reaction to the shock.

mdmdogs3
don't like to miss if at all possible, didn't stay for the gathering after this week. I didn't think of that her backside fitting the chair, gave me chuckle reading that.

Such is one of the reasons my wife and I no longer go to church. Kids are gone and I got very tired of that kind of B S in church... the house of God. I have had, usally older folk, tell me that I'm or my family is in there seat. I have told the Preacher that we will be missing service today because Mrs. Whoever ask us to remove ourselves... which we did. Rude.

Alan

Compassion isn't gone...you were just where it wasn't...unfortunately in a church building. I'm sorry this happened to you, but don't let anyone or anything discourage you about your relationship with your Maker or His Church.

Alan":3j31j3pp said:
Such is one of the reasons my wife and I no longer go to church. Kids are gone and I got very tired of that kind of B S in church... the house of God. I have had, usally older folk, tell me that I'm or my family is in there seat. I have told the Preacher that we will be missing service today because Mrs. Whoever ask us to remove ourselves... which we did. Rude.

Alan

I hear ya, Alan. I also got very tired of the incessant gossip of who was doing what with whom. :roll:

Chrisy, I'm very sorry that happened to you. :(

That's one of the problems with church - all those imperfect people that go there. Some of them are stubborn and set in their ways. Some of them are insensitive or just plain unaware. And unfortunately a LOT of them are BABIES. (Some of the babies stay and may never mature, and some of the babies leave and will never mature.) Hopefully, you and I are "running our own race" trying to be who WE should be.

It just amazes me that church is the only place it seems to be acceptable to say "I quit because they are rude/gossips/insensitive/etc" (pick one or more). Have you ever heard anyone say "The cashier at the grocery was rude to me, so I've quit buying groceries" or "I'm getting out of the cattle business because the guy at the co-op was curt with me" ??? No, of course not! But because there are a lot of Demas'es (II Tim 4:10), when people quit they've always got a receptive audience, ready to self-justify their own actions by agreeing with the newest Demas. (If I've made you mad see -Galatians 4:16.) Anyway, my point is, if you want to quit church (I hope you won't), then do it. Just don't bad-mouth those of us who may fall short of your expectations of how we should be. We already know we're not perfect, but hopefully we haven't quit working on it.

Read and study your Bible
Cuz

CUZ":5bb4yovd said:
Have you ever heard anyone say "The cashier at the grocery was rude to me, so I've quit buying groceries" or "I'm getting out of the cattle business because the guy at the co-op was curt with me" ??? No, of course not! Cuz

It must have been 15 years ago, maybe longer, I gave a cashier a $50 bill at Burger King and got change back for a $10. They argued and I was at their mercy. I have never been back to any Burger King. Got some bad fuel once at a gas station and I have never gone back there either. I have a long list. I am hard headed. I'll spare you the time of reciting my list. But instead of "No, of course not!" it is more a case of ABSOLUTELY.

If I get a good waitress, she gets a very good tip. I generally get excellent service when I stroll into a common restaurant. I am not asking for something for nothing.

My religious beliefs are between my creator and I. There is no need to try to recite anything here. I know where my heart is and I think it truly shows within my community too.

What happened to Chrisy could happen anywhere. It is simply a shame that it happened to begin with. Especially with her injury.

BHB, you got "rooked" at a Burger King. Did you stop eating at all restaurants or just that particular BK? You got bad fuel and quit going to THAT gas station. Did you quit buying gas?

The answer to both questions is, "No, of course not!"

Not to argue, just trying to show the exact point I was making.

Good Luck
Cuz

I was church secretary at a large Fort Worth church for 5 years. The majority of the people there were wonderful...I miss them to this day. And, there were those that came to church to "see and be seen," and would pull that, "Your in my seat" stuff. Hypocrites, yes...but they were in the minority. Ushers are excellent for stuff like this...had something arisen like what happened to Chris, the ushers at the church would have explained politely, quietly, and firmly, that accomodations would have to be made and would have led the hypocrite to another seat.

Church members know who these people are, Chris. There's no need to feel embarrassed by those you thought were looking at you...because they were looking at the hypocrite and reaffirming to themselves what a hypcrite the woman really is.

Now, go and sit anyplace you dang well please...anywhere you dang well please.

Alice

Alice":1uwd6cfb said:
I was church secretary at a large Fort Worth church for 5 years. The majority of the people there were wonderful...I miss them to this day. And, there were those that came to church to "see and be seen," and would pull that, "Your in my seat" stuff. Hypocrites, yes...but they were in the minority. Ushers are excellent for stuff like this...however, had something arisen like what happened to Chris, the ushers at the church would have explained politely, quietly, and firmly, that accomodations would have to be made and would have led the hypocrite to another seat.

Church members know who these people are, Chris. There's no need to feel embarrassed by those you thought were looking at you...because they were looking at the hypocrite and reaffirming to themselves what a hypcrite the woman really is.

Now, go and sit anyplace you dang well please...anywhere you dang well please.

Alice

And don't forget to tell them you appreciate their "Christian understanding".

Cuz

In my late teens and early twenties, I took a spell where I didn't have time for God and church. I told my grandpa I was just as good as most of those church people and wasn't going to bother wasting my time with a bunch of hypocrites. He said, "Suit yourself, but if you can't spend a few hours a week with them in church, how are you ever gonna be able to spend an eternity in hell with 'em. Do what you gotta do, but I ain't gonna quit prayin for you or them!" I'm glad he didn't!

fit2btied":24gt0sha said:
In my late teens and early twenties, I took a spell where I didn't have time for God and church. I told my grandpa I was just as good as most of those church people and wasn't going to bother wasting my time with a bunch of hypocrites. He said, "Suit yourself, but if you can't spend a few hours a week with them in church, how are you ever gonna be able to spend an eternity in be nice with 'em. Do what you gotta do, but I ain't gonna quit prayin for you or them!" I'm glad he didn't!

This one is really good. Thanks for sharing it.

CUZ":b3ayq34q said:
That's one of the problems with church - all those imperfect people that go there. Some of them are stubborn and set in their ways. Some of them are insensitive or just plain unaware. And unfortunately a LOT of them are BABIES. (Some of the babies stay and may never mature, and some of the babies leave and will never mature.) Hopefully, you and I are "running our own race" trying to be who WE should be.

It just amazes me that church is the only place it seems to be acceptable to say "I quit because they are rude/gossips/insensitive/etc" (pick one or more). Have you ever heard anyone say "The cashier at the grocery was rude to me, so I've quit buying groceries" or "I'm getting out of the cattle business because the guy at the co-op was curt with me" ??? No, of course not! But because there are a lot of Demas'es (II Tim 4:10), when people quit they've always got a receptive audience, ready to self-justify their own actions by agreeing with the newest Demas. (If I've made you mad see -Galatians 4:16.) Anyway, my point is, if you want to quit church (I hope you won't), then do it. Just don't bad-mouth those of us who may fall short of your expectations of how we should be. We already know we're not perfect, but hopefully we haven't quit working on it.

Cuz

I do quit and I still quit, I don't play these games in the house of God. It's the leaders place to maintain control, not mine. I won't worship with these type of people, life is to short to deal with jerks on Sunday as well as other days... I need to look forward to going to church not dread it. In 48 yrs I haven't found a church that hasn't had these problems.

Alan

chrisy":2ufwmu54 said:
went to Church this morning, figured I'd take a pew at the end next to the wall, so as I could keep my knee out of the way of others. I went near the front so people would not have to go around me. I was sitting there waiting for the service to start and would you believe a woman (I was going to say Lady) asked me to move as this was the seat she always sits in, and I sit on the otherside. My friend and I couldn't beleive it, a man sitting behind said to her 'show some compassion she has a broken knee', she stood there waiting for me to move, until the Pastor came and asked her to sit elsewhere, I felt so embarassed everyone looking I wanted to leave, then was told 'No why should you, you have done nothing wrong' so I stayed until the end, and it was a good a service, and thankfully the Pastor never mentioned anything about it, just gave his wishes that I would be better soon and asked everyone to pray for me. Wonder whether she did?
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I've attended several churches in my life and have found several that are great and a few that I won't be attending again and one that scared the heck out of me. If this one doesn't work out try another, there's bound to be one that is a pleasure to go to.

CUZ":297xyemg said:

Cuz

where did I bad mouth the woman, nowhere I simply stated what happened. I never said I wasn't going to church again, and when I go on Sunday I will most likely sit where I normally sit. and now all my friends know what has happened to me they will make a space for me, so as I can elevate my knee there. I know nobody is perfect not even me, but manners cost nothing and common curtesy is a vertue, compassion in Church is what one would expect from most. I would stand if there were no other seats if someone was injured and needed to sit, does it matter where you sit in church as GOD hears you where ever you are. read the Good Samaritain, compassion provails. I have read my Bible many times and it has helped me through many a bad time. I have prayed for the woman since, that she may learn from what she did and maybe grow from what was not said. as least said soonest mended. God Bless Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts