What's something you've done, 99% of us haven't?

Help Support CattleToday:

Slept on the floor at Head Inn on Dumaine Street in the French Quarter in 1971. When my eyes adjusted to the dark there were many other bodies sleeping on that same floor. Vaguely recall seeing a very pregnant naked lady walking around in the dark but then again, there was a lot of smoke in the room.

One percenters heh??
I wasn't supposed to live past age 4. I was a "blue baby". I made it!

I think having 6 children is likely a one percent achievement.
I'm certain that having 6 children with zero overnights in a hospital counts, not including birth (now ages 14 to 27).

A barrel roll and 2 forced landings, off field, with the only known pilot to ditch 3 times in the ocean and still alive, Earl Covel.

I was flying right seat when we had a fuel starvation event at less than 500 ft AGL. I became a copilot instantly, and we found a field to land in. The Columbia MO newspaper had a picture of me on top the plane, pouring fuel in from a 5 gallon container loaned to us by the farmer. We took off on Candid Camera.

My career path, coupled with my location, has presented me opportunity to meet many remarkable people, famous and infamous. I'm not convinced this latter fact is anything more than interesting at best, embarrassing at worst, but certainly less than 1% have a midnight photograph of Barry Seal's Learstar (modified Lockheed Lodestar, often called a Lear Lodestar) belching flames out the exhaust, hanging on the office wall.

I've been in 47 of the 57 states :)

I've also been mugged on Beal Street, Memphis, USA. All they got was my hotel key, because the hotties from Senatobia Mississippi that convinced us to take them downtown had already taken our wallets.

I've unintentionally circumnavigated Pilot Mountain 3 times (as witnessed by another hunter over a daylight to dark period). He saved my life. I had become hypothermic. That is an interesting sensation to recall.

Back to my kids, and family health in general; we have been very blessed. None of us (8 total) have taken nor needed antibiotics for 20 years, and the only medical visits have been routine checkups or broken bones/stitches. Most of those doctor visits were me. I was an adrenaline junkie.

On sewing, I did let my best friend sew me up. We were at least 24 hours from a medical facility. Early twenties, ten foot tall, bulletproof. A 4-wheeler had landed on me, and although the bleeding at first appeared the most serious issue, broken ribs and shock quickly became something my friend had to deal with. I'm still here, again.

I held my Dads hand as he drew his last breath. This was an event I had never previously considered participating in. In hindsight, judging from the others in the room, and talking about this with others in days that followed, I'm guessing this is a difficult thing to do especially for those of us not actively engaged in a profession that witness such things often.

I was struck by lightning in Irving Texas. I ran out the front door to chase down the dog and bring in. Mom was screaming at me to get back in. Then it happened. It was like a Pink Floyd tune; comfortably numb, and I could see her lips moving, but couldn't hear the words. Between the lightning or the whipping, I should have died, but instead I'm fairly certain I saw the dark side of the moon.

A year later we lived in Houston. A gang of young men chased me and my younger brother down, held a knife to my throat, and demanded my wallet. I don't recall what or why, but as I went for my wallet, my hand instead went for his knife. I ended up with the knife, surrounded by some wide white-eyed hoodlums who scattered. I think that was the day I became my little brothers hero. I know it was the day Dad decided to move back to Mena Arkansas.

Otherwise I've had a very normal life and praise God everyday. I love life, and no matter our experience, I don't think it'd be reasonable to compare one life to another. We all have value.

jedstivers":jyn7r7gg said:
I drank till 5 in the morning in Memphis with the members of the Bama Band.
Other than that on all the other things I've done I can't say much, to many people still alive and the statue of limitations aren't up.

By the time the statutes of limitations wears off, I can't remember them anyway.

Watched a game the other night with a guy that grew up just down the road from me. He was a couple years younger. Good kid that didn't have the best start, but that didn't deter him. He's working in the pentagon now for the Army. I'm real proud of him.

He kept bringing things up that I had completely forgotten. Same thing talking with a college classmate a few months ago, i've forgotten so many things...

So who knows what i've really done, apparently I don't.

Swam the South Canadian River at flood stage... that's a 1 percenter here fer sure. :D

Was in a football movie in high school.

Best thing was marrying the perfect lady. Most likely an answer by a higher power to my mother's prayers.

Probably not a 1% here, but I've farmed the same ground my great grandad has. That's pretty cool to me.

Unintentionally pranked the Dean of the University.

Good grief Ouachita, what do you do for excitement?
Did you not preflight the airplane and check fuel?
Did you fly with Barry? (You don't have to answer that.)
I'm still cogitating your other experiences. Is there a forthcoming book?

Ryder":2e6hrlwu said:
Good grief Ouachita, what do you do for excitement?
Did you not preflight the airplane and check fuel?
Did you fly with Barry? (You don't have to answer that.)
I'm still cogitating your other experiences. Is there a forthcoming book?

Right? :pop:

Ouachita":nw9kwo21 said:
One percenters heh??

I'm certain that having 6 children with zero overnights in a hospital counts, not including birth (now ages 14 to 27).

A barrel roll and 2 forced landings, off field, with the only known pilot to ditch 3 times in the ocean and still alive, Earl Covel.

I was flying right seat when we had a fuel starvation event at less than 500 ft AGL. I became a copilot instantly, and we found a field to land in. The Columbia MO newspaper had a picture of me on top the plane, pouring fuel in from a 5 gallon container loaned to us by the farmer. We took off on Candid Camera.

My career path, coupled with my location, has presented me opportunity to meet many remarkable people, famous and infamous. I'm not convinced this latter fact is anything more than interesting at best, embarrassing at worst, but certainly less than 1% have a midnight photograph of Barry Seal's Learstar (modified Lockheed Lodestar, often called a Lear Lodestar) belching flames out the exhaust, hanging on the office wall.

I've also been mugged on Beal Street, Memphis, USA. All they got was my hotel key, because the hotties from Senatobia Mississippi that convinced us to take them downtown had already taken our wallets.

I've unintentionally circumnavigated Pilot Mountain 3 times (as witnessed by another hunter over a daylight to dark period). He saved my life. I had become hypothermic. That is an interesting sensation to recall.

Back to my kids, and family health in general; we have been very blessed. None of us (8 total) have taken nor needed antibiotics for 20 years, and the only medical visits have been routine checkups or broken bones/stitches. Most of those doctor visits were me. I was an adrenaline junkie.

On sewing, I did let my best friend sew me up. We were at least 24 hours from a medical facility. Early twenties, ten foot tall, bulletproof. A 4-wheeler had landed on me, and although the bleeding at first appeared the most serious issue, broken ribs and shock quickly became something my friend had to deal with. I'm still here, again.

I held my Dads hand as he drew his last breath. This was an event I had never previously considered participating in. In hindsight, judging from the others in the room, and talking about this with others in days that followed, I'm guessing this is a difficult thing to do especially for those of us not actively engaged in a profession that witness such things often.

I was struck by lightning in Irving Texas. I ran out the front door to chase down the dog and bring in. Mom was screaming at me to get back in. Then it happened. It was like a Pink Floyd tune; comfortably numb, and I could see her lips moving, but couldn't hear the words. Between the lightning or the whipping, I should have died, but instead I'm fairly certain I saw the dark side of the moon.

A year later we lived in Houston. A gang of young men chased me and my younger brother down, held a knife to my throat, and demanded my wallet. I don't recall what or why, but as I went for my wallet, my hand instead went for his knife. I ended up with the knife, surrounded by some wide white-eyed hoodlums who scattered. I think that was the day I became my little brothers hero. I know it was the day Dad decided to move back to Mena Arkansas.

Otherwise I've had a very normal life and praise God everyday. I love life, and no matter our experience, I don't think it'd be reasonable to compare one life to another. We all have value.

Wow. That's impressive.

Bigfoot":33ago2cs said:
Ouachita":33ago2cs said:
One percenters heh??

Wow. That's impressive.
I thought so too. Very impressive. I'll bet Ouachita drinks Dos Equis. https://youtu.be/L-4zfsy6rsM

That is just coincidence. I was in Greenville IL for 3 days this past week. One horse, one restaurant town, Mexican. Ate there 3 days/nights in a row. Of course I drank Dos Equis. I even got a complimentary shot of Patron that last evening.
There are already some books. Movie coming soon.

Ouachita":q69qg4qf said:
That is just coincidence. I was in Greenville IL for 3 days this past week. One horse, one restaurant town, Mexican. Ate there 3 days/nights in a row. Of course I drank Dos Equis. I even got a complimentary shot of Patron that last evening.
There are already some books. Movie coming soon.
I knew it!

This has been a very fascinating topic. When I noticed it last night, I posted without reading all the other replies. I just finished reading them; obviously I'm in good company!
Bigfoot, I've also noticed you have a talent for asking some interesting questions, which in my opinion makes CT an even more valuable resource.

Been wondering if I had ever done anything somewhat different and happened to remember that I went to Cuba in 1984 to shoot a fishing show for TV. Guy over in East Texas had a TV show (John Fox, The American Angler) . I and an attorney friend went with him, Nolan Cromwell, Larry Brooks and Jack Youngblood who were all playing football with the L.A. Rams at the time and spent a week catching some awesome bass. Had to fly to Cancun from the U.S. then catch a private plane to Havana. Had to fish out of some pretty primitive boats but it was worth it.

I haven't served in the military or been near death like some of you! This has been fun to read....

Survived a multi-roll car crash in the late 70s, sweet '69 Camaro, not sure why any of the three of us in the car lived through that!! Just banged up a bit. :shock:
Met Buzz Aldrin a couple of times and visited with him. Very smart, and very interesting!!
Spoke with Jay Leno on the phone, a real sweetheart and a generous man. He donated to our city when we had a catastrophic flood back in 1997.
Met Terry Bradshaw at the World Show Quarter Horse sale in OKC in 2002. He was an absolute A$$... :deadhorse:

Here's another one %'r for the record. I've seen "The Most Interesting Man in the World" in photos only, noting that some use them in avatars, but until zirlottkim posted the YouTube link, I had never watched a commercial of him. I don't have television, so I'm watching on my iPhone. Funny stuff.

worked on the ohio river early 80s cold 0 day below 0 windchill sliped on the ice went down between two barges coming together knew what was happening before i hit the water they said i went out of sight the man above must been watching cause the current didnt suck me under the barges i came to the top swiming or trying ( too many cloths ) but managed to get over an grab side of the barge that was it cloths were too heavey ol boy from down in the hill every one called him whale got to me picked me up like 50 pd sack of potatos on the deck ( on my feet ) then slam the barge we were standing on shook .the barges slamed together !

mooo":39bda5ji said:
worked on the ohio river early 80s cold 0 day below 0 windchill sliped on the ice went down between two barges coming together knew what was happening before i hit the water they said i went out of sight the man above must been watching cause the current didnt suck me under the barges i came to the top swiming or trying ( too many cloths ) but managed to get over an grab side of the barge that was it cloths were too heavey ol boy from down in the hill every one called him whale got to me picked me up like 50 pd sack of potatos on the deck ( on my feet ) then slam the barge we were standing on shook .the barges slamed together !

You've been to the edge, and looked over. Did the experience change you in any way?

I was on Okinawa when Neil Armstrong and Dave Scott aborted Gemini 8 and landed in the Pacific Ocean. I was only an observer. But when they landed at the air base the feeling of unity, and the power of the United States was overwhelming. That was 1966...what happened?

Latest posts