Southern US cold snap?

Help Support CattleToday:

-1 early this morning, 8 now supposed to get to 26, but I'm doubtful it will get quite there. Tomorrow 36 and chance of more snow. Next Monday 41 then by Wednesday and following in the 50's and rain.
It's January, atleast we're halfway through it already. Then whatever February brings, and by March even though it can be pretty disagreeable it should be looking somewhat better by then.
I pace my myself and count down the days. I absolutely hate winter.

Gcreekrch,
You would be surprised how easily you can get snowed in with 3 inches of snow in these southern hills.
New fluffy snow is no problem. Drifts and packed snow that melt and refreezes becomes ice that remains a long time, especially on shaded hillsides.
I usually make it all right in my truck, but woe to some of my neighbors with 2WD.
Minus 2 Fahrenheit this morning with a gusty SW wind, cold enough for me.

I'm amazed when I talk to people. Even talking to my brother a week ago it was all about the insulation in his house, the grid, etc... all this big stuff. He asked me if I ready and what I was doing. I was like, I'm pretty sure I have what I need. He laughed and was like but what if this... and what if this... finally I was like, I'm pretty sure I have anough "stuff" in my garage and house to live outside in this weather. We hunt in this if we can. 😄 Just basic stuff like we (my son and I) have overalls or coveralls and other gear we won't put on unless it's in the 30s or less, sleeping bags, I have enough propane tanks and heaters for a solid week, generators, gas, etc. I've had to work outside in this kind of weather before. It's normal "gear" that people who work outside, or camp, or hunt, whatever have.

It was a funny conversation because he always kind of makes comments about my garage or house and all the clutter or what ever. That clutter is all the stuff that I'm talking about.

I asked him, if yall had to go outside in this weather, do yall even have the clothes? He thought for just a second and said, no. You are 100% dependent on a car or a house to keep you warm. That's pretty risky.

He did end up going online and buying every one coveralls and thick socks and sleeping bags and stuff.

It is so funny though to see the difference in people's mentality.

A while back I was talking about building a house with a couple guys. I want to build a house with in a big metal shop. We have a place with a creek ad some big bluffs. I want the back of house/ metal building to face that and you roll up big door and can hang out. I have these plans for easy maintenance, shutter that go over the windows, etc. Basically a bunch if stuff to be pretty self-sufficient in these hurricanes or freezes or what ever. Just doing it in the design right off the bat.

You should have heard the women... thats such a guy thing, that's why your single, that's ugly... just on and on. I asked them flat out would yall trade the look of a traditional house for safety and security for your family? They wouldn't answer. They were like you can have both, and you can, with unlimited funds. I rephrase it and said ok, we have $300K. Would you build a pretty $300K house or $200K worth of house and $100K worth of self reliance? Two of them have recently built houses and spent it all on looks, which I pointed out.

No matter how many storms or what ever happen, people still do not value being prepared for it.

B stopped by for a bit this morning. He said they rode over on Alder Creek yesterday. It was -5 to start the day and warmed up to 11. And the wind was blowing over in Alder Creek. He said they got 17 cows and he called that a win. How tough is it to ride after cows in zero degree weather. His only complaint was that even on the second trip hauling the cows home he had to have his gloves on because the heater in the truck isn't working.
I know here the other day when it snowed 9 inches the great white cowboy was hard at work. There was a stead stream of cows marching down the road. B said it pretty well cleaned the river out. Just a couple of bulls still up there.

I'm amazed when I talk to people. Even talking to my brother a week ago it was all about the insulation in his house, the grid, etc... all this big stuff. He asked me if I ready and what I was doing. I was like, I'm pretty sure I have what I need. He laughed and was like but what if this... and what if this... finally I was like, I'm pretty sure I have anough "stuff" in my garage and house to live outside in this weather. We hunt in this if we can. 😄 Just basic stuff like we (my son and I) have overalls or coveralls and other gear we won't put on unless it's in the 30s or less, sleeping bags, I have enough propane tanks and heaters for a solid week, generators, gas, etc. I've had to work outside in this kind of weather before. It's normal "gear" that people who work outside, or camp, or hunt, whatever have.

It was a funny conversation because he always kind of makes comments about my garage or house and all the clutter or what ever. That clutter is all the stuff that I'm talking about.

I asked him, if yall had to go outside in this weather, do yall even have the clothes? He thought for just a second and said, no. You are 100% dependent on a car or a house to keep you warm. That's pretty risky.

He did end up going online and buying every one coveralls and thick socks and sleeping bags and stuff.

It is so funny though to see the difference in people's mentality.

A while back I was talking about building a house with a couple guys. I want to build a house with in a big metal shop. We have a place with a creek ad some big bluffs. I want the back of house/ metal building to face that and you roll up big door and can hang out. I have these plans for easy maintenance, shutter that go over the windows, etc. Basically a bunch if stuff to be pretty self-sufficient in these hurricanes or freezes or what ever. Just doing it in the design right off the bat.

You should have heard the women... thats such a guy thing, that's why your single, that's ugly... just on and on. I asked them flat out would yall trade the look of a traditional house for safety and security for your family? They wouldn't answer. They were like you can have both, and you can, with unlimited funds. I rephrase it and said ok, we have $300K. Would you build a pretty $300K house or $200K worth of house and $100K worth of self reliance? Two of them have recently built houses and spent it all on looks, which I pointed out.

No matter how many storms or what ever happen, people still do not value being prepared for it.
That's the reason I built a steel home. IMG_0308.jpegIMG_0564.jpeg

B stopped by for a bit this morning. He said they rode over on Alder Creek yesterday. It was -5 to start the day and warmed up to 11. And the wind was blowing over in Alder Creek. He said they got 17 cows and he called that a win. How tough is it to ride after cows in zero degree weather. His only complaint was that even on the second trip hauling the cows home he had to have his gloves on because the heater in the truck isn't working.
I know here the other day when it snowed 9 inches the great white cowboy was hard at work. There was a stead stream of cows marching down the road. B said it pretty well cleaned the river out. Just a couple of bulls still up there.
I have made several rides in the past in below zero f temps. Trotting through second growth pines with fresh snow after two bulls was the worst. I had chaps but every 10 or so strides you stood up and brushed the snow out of your crotch and off the saddle. The bulls did come home and nothing froze and turned black!

Just to make all you "Suhthunus" feel warm........ we've had a high of around -10 the last 4 days, going to warm up to a high of around +4 today, and the wind quit blowing. Heat wave coming next week though, we might even get above freezing during the day.
Dang it

We barely got above freezing yesterday and only for a few hours at best. I had my guys come into work so we could clear sidewalks, streets around the school (city doesn't clear anything) and parking lots in case we had school today. I can monitor all the hvac systems from my laptop at home as well as room temperatures, we had a few go down so had to get them back going. We have a little 18 hp kubota with FWD and a front end loader to clear sidewalks and a 40 hp kubota FWD and loader for everything else. I can walk that little kubota up stairs a little ways as well to clear the steps as well. We didn't have school today because there are still roads that are bad and the city was struggling to keep water pressure due to pumps going out, the city had no water at some point yesterday.
I pulled a dumb move and forgot to leave the faucet dripping night before last and the pipe coming into our house busted so had to repair that last night. We built a new well house this past summer and I insulated it well,had a heat lamp going in it. When I filled some 5 gallon buckets out of the hydrant on the side of the well house yesterday morning the water was warm.
One of my renters text me day before yesterday and said his house wouldn't get above 60, I told him I'd check it out. Heat was working as it should but is just a 15kw electric furnace and it couldn't keep up, house is in wooded area and never gets sun. We have been in single digits at night with negative windchills since Saturday night, was in the 20s last night so much better. I had to shovel the ice off of the top of my tanks because it had built up so thick that even when busted there wasn't much of an opening.

Yeah @kenny thomas went to work for VDOT on the snow removal... they were needing drivers, and he is driving one of their trucks if I am not mistaken..... Too much money to pass up... don't blame him. My son is 2nd in command at a VDOT residency and with boss out, he is pretty much running it with some help from a couple others filling in the edges.... we use a alot of private contractors here on the roads too... but I don't think any private guys drive the VDOT trucks.

Yeah @kenny thomas went to work for VDOT on the snow removal... they were needing drivers, and he is driving one of their trucks if I am not mistaken..... Too much money to pass up... don't blame him. My son is 2nd in command at a VDOT residency and with boss out, he is pretty much running it with some help from a couple others filling in the edges.... we use a alot of private contractors here on the roads too... but I don't think any private guys drive the VDOT trucks.
Jan, i had to go through interviews, 2 drug test, physical, everything and am considered a VDOT employee but for emergency purposes only. 12 hour shift pays @$640. Been working nights.
Sleep 4 hours, feed calves and check cows, sleep 2 more hours. But they can't seem to find people to work.
One of the contractors offered me $50 an hour to drive a tractor with snow blade. You would think anyone would jump at that.