Southern US cold snap?

Help Support CattleToday:

Was starting to snow at about 430 when I was about done feeding cows and closing up the birds, road up to the house was white by dark.

It's snowing now at our place now and 19 but feels like 7, it felt like 0 this morning. I feel bad for the cows because it was 60 Thursday, that's a drastic temp swing for their bodies to adjust to.
Interesting. You are north of me, and we had a high temperature of 12 today.
It started snowing about 2pm and we have a couple inches before sunset.
I had loaded the hay feeders yesterday, but took them cubes this evening.
5DE7F705-84BA-4C8C-B264-159934B8F90B.jpeg41B69E15-F6C9-4E17-BFEB-BBD9A044F198.jpeg

We had 3-4 continuous days of freezing rain last winter. It wasn't too bad, and never lost power, since I moved away from all the people that were queer for trees. Trees are not our friends. Not the ones in the forests, the ones along the roads, the ones in idiots' yards or the trees along the fences.

24 hour future radar forecast shows some freezing rain over much of Central and East Texas. So far, tho it's been very cold, we've had nothing fall from the sky, not even a hated leaf of limb.

(This is FORECAST, not real time radar!!)

frzraintues.jpg

... lighting cats?

I've lit quite a few things up 🤣... and more than one different kind if "cat".

I feel like I'm having one of those moments being discussed in the other thread. 😄
Well, if you Texans were more familiar with cats your oilpatch wouldn't have froze up last big cold spell, thought maybe you guys learned something from that! 😂

Well, if you Texans were more familiar with cats your oilpatch wouldn't have froze up last big cold spell, thought maybe you guys learned something from that! 😂

Oh ya, that's why I asked but that not some thing a lot of people know about.

We used catalytic heaters all the time on valves that take pressure cuts. We had heat trace, methanol, the whole nine.

I had one of those heaters short and and kill my battery on a truck. They have long cables to hook to you battery and I was hooked up. All the sudden I saw smoke from the engine bay. It was melting the coating on the cables. I had to get a rag and knock it off my battery. The truck threw a service engine code for a minute. I told the company if it fries my computer that on them.

The big difference is all our equipment is just out in the open and exposed. It's not in building or any thing like up north. I went to ND and WY to do some things. Prod equip was in buildings and well heads would be under ground in some places. Companies here are not going to spend that money for one off events. Even wrapping and using heat trace on every thing is only good if you have power.

They have changed some rules now where they require places to have back up diesel gens and RRC is requiring people to to have minimal cold weather stuff and stay online. NG jumped this past week. Companies were ramping up because the spot price was up high enough to justify it.

Producers can do as much or as little as consumers are willing to pay for. 😉

Well, I don't get to spend the week in Florida....she won't take off work. Plus I have a cardiologist appointment, a dentist appointment, and the last follow-up with the eye surgon, Tues, Wed, and Thursdaay this week. But, I loaded up my horses and the mule, and took them down to Scott's this morning. We decided that we'd do some rabbit and quail hunting when I got there, and I was going to leave them down there til it warned up middle of next week. Well, it turned out to be quite the adventure . Don't want to get this thread off-tracjk but you can read about it on my thread Another..."last" update., in a reply to @farmerjan .

Don't lie... you cuddle up with cocoa and read that thread before you go to bed. 🤣
Well, maybe? Not sure what you're talking about. I do not like dentist or barbers. They give me the hebeejeebies.

Now, if they look like Elizabeth Hurley, I'll let them cut my hair, pull my teeth, and, well heck, might even let her curl my toes if she plays her cards right.

Oh ya, that's why I asked but that not some thing a lot of people know about.

We used catalytic heaters all the time on valves that take pressure cuts. We had heat trace, methanol, the whole nine.

I had one of those heaters short and and kill my battery on a truck. They have long cables to hook to you battery and I was hooked up. All the sudden I saw smoke from the engine bay. It was melting the coating on the cables. I had to get a rag and knock it off my battery. The truck threw a service engine code for a minute. I told the company if it fries my computer that on them.

The big difference is all our equipment is just out in the open and exposed. It's not in building or any thing like up north. I went to ND and WY to do some things. Prod equip was in buildings and well heads would be under ground in some places. Companies here are not going to spend that money for one off events. Even wrapping and using heat trace on every thing is only good if you have power.
That pressure drop is called the Joule Thomson effect.

21 this morning with high today only 47. Teens for lows next week. 12 Tuesday with a high of only 30. Won't get back to the 60's til next Thursday!! My ole lady is off work tommorrow, and I Just told her to email her boss and tell him she will be back next Monday. Told her there was some horses I needed to go see about buying in Sarasoto and Homestead , and we'd drive around and see what kind of prices we'd have to pay to move down there! Gonna drop the 4 I have up here with me at Scott's place on the way down.
I just left Ocala yesterday, don't know what the weather will be this week but it wasn't normal balmy weather there. If you go through Ocala stop at the World Equestrian Center. It's the most beautiful horse facility I've ever seen. The main arena must be 500' by 500' and they have a hotel there that is incredible

Latest posts