Southern US cold snap?

Help Support CattleToday:

It started snowing about 10 PM Sunday night here and it just quit. I pushed snow last night and again tonight. Its definitely not fun. But at least the temp is in the mid 20's so the salt were speading is keeping the road mostly clear.
I thought you didn't get winter there and would succumb to the elements if you did?

Got down to 15f last night. Hasn't been above freezing since Saturday night/Sunday morning. Isn't supposed to get above freezing today and back down to 15 tonight but the sun is shining bright and the accumulated ice on the trees and stuff is going away. Wind is gusty up to 18mph. Supposed to lay down tonight and pick back up tomorrow. Should hit a high of 47f tomorrow.

High of 63f for Thursday and looks like the "rinse and repeat" for the weekend is off but we shall see...

Just to make all you "Suhthunus" feel warm........ we've had a high of around -10 the last 4 days, going to warm up to a high of around +4 today, and the wind quit blowing. Heat wave coming next week though, we might even get above freezing during the day.

We got 9 or 10 inches depending on where you measure. Winds have slowed down a lot. Temp is mid teens right now according to the trucks thermometer.

Got plenty of hay out for mine. Got two 3 year olds ready to calve anytime now. Temps getting down to 0 tonight, id wager that the calves come then.

Water is frozen. I have warming lights in the pump house but apparently they went out last night sometime. Replaced the bulbs (took the extras from the greenhouse, he he he) Just waiting til that one goes out....

So I feel like I'm at a bad restaurant waiting for the waitress to pour some coffee in my cup. Guess she's on break. (Til the pump thaws again)

Water is frozen. I have warming lights in the pump house but apparently they went out last night sometime. Replaced the bulbs (took the extras from the greenhouse, he he he) Just waiting til that one goes out....

So I feel like I'm at a bad restaurant waiting for the waitress to pour some coffee in my cup. Guess she's on break. (Til the pump thaws again)
You're singing my tune. We've been in this house for 24 years. I've always taken a propane lantern into the well house on these zero degree nights. Woke up with no water.
I can normally expect a one pound bottle to last 24 hours with the setting as low as it'll go. There was a mantle busted, so it didn't produce the heat needed, and spent the gas.
Must have quit gennin' just shortly before I went to check it because I was able to thaw the pressure switched with a cigarette lighter.

After 24 years, I bought a thermostatically controlled heater and installed it a few minutes ago.

You're singing my tune. We've been in this house for 24 years. I've always taken a propane lantern into the well house on these zero degree nights. Woke up with no water.
I can normally expect a one pound bottle to last 24 hours with the setting as low as it'll go. There was a mantle busted, so it didn't produce the heat needed, and spent the gas.
Must have quit gennin' just shortly before I went to check it because I was able to thaw the pressure switched with a cigarette lighter.

After 24 years, I bought a thermostatically controlled heater and installed it a few minutes ago.

Couldn't have been long done with a lighter. Doesn't take long to freeze up a pipe.
I have the lights on a temperature sensor set to 30 deg. Has been trouble free for 3years now. Enjoy late mornings with coffee.

Roads are clear, what you gonna do for 12hrs., sleep? Trucks been running here all day, school closed tomorrow, not enough snow out there on the roads to make a snowball. SMDH.
Most trucks are on the back roads. Guess they feel sorry for the old man and told me to check for slick spots on the 4 lane.
But no sleep. GPS on every truck and it has to keep moving or they call.

Son has been putting in 12 and 16 hr days since his boss, the head supervisor at his residency, is out on medical... so son is running his normal night crew and the day crew... went in at 4a.m. the other morning and got off at 8p.m.... 8 to 8 today... main roads are clear, back roads getting grit... we had about 4 inches and it was rather light/powdery... but the wind keeps blowing it back across the roads and the idiots that HAVE to drive on it packs it and them it turns to ice.
Down to 7*F right now... might get down to 2 or so before morning...
I know this is nothing to your guys way up north... but it is cold for here... and we were in the low 60's last Thursday....
More "weather" coming on Friday...

8° today, 2° now. Supposed to reach 32° tomorrow. Whoooo Hooooo!! We are supposed to get ice Thursday but only 33°. Sorta looking forward to the rain Monday and Tuesday. 2° now and 59° on Wednesday. Gotta love Tennessee weather.

Latest posts