Southern US cold snap?

Help Support CattleToday:

Finally got above freezing today , 35-36 , more rain , freezing rain/sleet and another blast of cold this weekend. 50's by next Tuesday.

Jan, i had to go through interviews, 2 drug test, physical, everything and am considered a VDOT employee but for emergency purposes only. 12 hour shift pays @$640. Been working nights.
Sleep 4 hours, feed calves and check cows, sleep 2 more hours. But they can't seem to find people to work.
One of the contractors offered me $50 an hour to drive a tractor with snow blade. You would think anyone would jump at that.
I didn't know all the particulars...didn't know they had a VDOT emergency employee status... but at that money, HE// yes... Still 12 hr shifts are tough when you got cattle to deal with...
Son has always been on the night shift 8pm-8am.... so that he can do feeding and such in the daylight, and then get some sleep to go back in again at night... until the boss went out on medical... Now he has to be on days, but is doing 12-16 hr shifts with doing all the planning, decision making and getting the crews out and then all the checking up on complaints and all by the public... he takes off 1-2 hours in mid day to go and do the silage feeding with it okayed by the "bigger boss" since he cannot get it all done after work .... luckily the headquarters is 10 minutes away. That is the one reason he does not want to be the head super.... they have to work days... and he does not want to. The crew he "heads up " for the night shift are pretty good and have been on his shift for several years so know their jobs and pretty much do them... but the private contractors have to be monitored constantly....

I have several dairy farmers that have tractors contracted out to VDOT road work... plows on them and all that. There are several guys with trucks here that get the bids for winter roads, and such... it is alot of headaches with the insurance and all that nowadays... and several have not been able to find drivers for their trucks to push snow either... I wish I was younger, I would be glad to do it in a tractor for $50/hr.....

Last edited:
We had two inches of wet snow on top of 4 inches that had packed down to ice on the twisting road going up the hill to our house. Heavily shaded gravel road that follows a hollow with a steep drop off on one side down into the hollow.
I have been traveling this road for almost 52 years and once every three or four years an event like this makes it impassable. I started over it in my 4WD truck this morning and nearly slid into the hollow. It was so slick I just parked the truck in the road. I could not even stand in the road and had to go cross country across fresh snow to walk back to the house.
Luckily I can walk to most of the stock. The one bunch I can't is on the far end of the farm, but I put out about 4 days worth of hay for them yesterday.
It is supposed to get near 0 degrees tonight and I hope I can get a grip on the fresh snow after it crusts. We usually park the truck in the bottom when this is forecast, but the weather report did not seem that bad.
We plan to walk to the state road tonight and have my younger daughter and her family take us out to supper.

We had a "quiet day" yesterday, cold but no wind... some sun early but then clouds. Then we got some light snow last night, maybe an inch, then the wind picked up some today. Even with the sun coming out a little, it was cold. Not as cold as you out there on the plains... Tonight it is supposed to be COLD... teens for temps, and then tomorrow not over 25 and tomorrow night as cold or colder... moderating and warming up a bit Sunday, and then warmer and some rain also. We are a day or 2 behind your weather... just not quite as cold... Dreading the mud coming also.

Ya'll have been talking about Dave's new Belted cows getting acclimated to the weather there. Well it is happening here. We are all getting acclimated. I did not even look at the temp when I went outside, and did my thing with the cows and horses. Thought maybe things were thawing out because the sun was out, and got inside and the temperature said 20.° It felt like 40.° 🎶North to Alaska......Hmmmm-hmmmmm-hmmmmmm🎶

Public service announcement
If you are new to Georgia, we are about to experience a " Georgia Winter". This is 6 or 7 days of cold, maybe some ice and snow. Meteorologist will threaten snow, And It may snow and it may not, but if they say 2 inches it could be 10 or it could be 1/2". It doesn't matter how much snow it is, we'll all freak out because we don't see snow often.
The threat of snow (or ice) is your prompt to head to the grocery store and buy milk, eggs and bread . It doesn't matter if you need these items or not you will just buy them. It's just what we do. Rest assured that everyone in town will be there.
You'll also need to make a mad dash for faucet covers and finding them and getting out of the store will be like an episode of the hunger games You're in the redneck district.

Don't look for a sled. You won't find one. In the rare chance we get enough ice or snow to sled grab some cardboard or a trash can lid and go find the nearest hill.
Just go with it.
You'll be fine.

We don't have equipment to handle the winter and weather. The roads will be a mess and even though the state has been telling you for a week they're ready, they're not and it won't work. Just stay home if you can and if you can't just come to terms with the fact that nobody here knows how to drive in snow and ice.
Whatever you do, DO NOT talk about snow tires.
If you happen to slide off the road or get stuck, turn your flashers on, take a deep breath and wait. Two good ole boys in a four wheel drive truck will be along in no time to offer assistance. Don't try to help them just stay ouf of their wat. They live for this stuff, and will do what they can to get you back on the road. If either one of them screams "Hey y'all watch this " just get back and get your phone out and start recording, you'll probably have a viral video for TicTok later
No matter what you do, don't talk about how they did it back home in any of these scenarios.
Nobody cares.
You live in Georgia now.

Georgians know they live in the greatest state in the country and it's our way or the highway.
When we act like we're going to die and start to complain about the 7 days of winter just shut up. We're serious and we don't care how much you love it.
You'll be back in flip flops within a week to ten days and it'll be nice until right around Easter.
Georgia's "second winter" will be 2 or 3 days and will hit right around Easter, usually the week before or the week after. This will hit right around the time you plant flowers and a garden

We know you're not from around here when we see you've planted flowers before Easter and before the "second winter" has hit.
This is why all the people at the nursery don't sound like us when you're shopping for plants.
We know better.
During second winter it'll go from 70 to 25 and you'll experience all four seasons in one day
This too shall pass, get used to it and when second winter is over you can enjoy the 3-4 days of "spring" before summer gets here and it'll be melt your face off hot until sometime around Halloween.
All
💯
Facts.
Sounds a lot like east Texas

@Chuckie ... yeah, you do get acclimated to the weather... for most I think it is the wind that really gets to all of us... and to the livestock.
As for the belted cattle near @Dave ... it probably wouldn't be so bad except the owner was putting them out there to "rotational graze" in this cold weather and no hay out there for them to go eat and then go out and rustle around for awhile... you can't get acclimated to the weather like that if you are cold and hungry in a strange place plopped in there in the winter... being pregnant and all... and heifers no less o_Oo_Oo_O☹️☹️☹️🤬🤬

No, I agree about Dave. I was reading all of that, and just grabbing that word sort of picking @farmerjan. It is not good to do that to an animal that is not used to the conditions.
But, I would not let that guy slide by if he does not know cattle. I would tell him that he must feed and water them and take care of them. If he did not, I would send who ever I needed out there to get his attention because, if he is going to neglect the herd, then Dave's herd will suffer from disease carrying flies .... back and forth. Poorly kept livestock keep pink eye and all kinds of mosquito, face flies and horse fly carrying crud. I would try to get along with him if I could, but he can really mess with Dave's herd if he does not take cattle seriously. But I know nothing about Belted cattle, and they do not sell well here. Maybe there is something really good about them. So, I just don't know. And like you say, heifers???? Hearing this makes me thankful that I live in crop land country where someone won't just throw cattle out like that. I don't have disease or problems because there are no cattle close to me. Poor Dave, I feel for him. Or anyone else that this happens to.

No, I agree about Dave. I was reading all of that, and just grabbing that word sort of picking @farmerjan. It is not good to do that to an animal that is not used to the conditions.
But, I would not let that guy slide by if he does not know cattle. I would tell him that he must feed and water them and take care of them. If he did not, I would send who ever I needed out there to get his attention because, if he is going to neglect the herd, then Dave's herd will suffer from disease carrying flies .... back and forth. Poorly kept livestock keep pink eye and all kinds of mosquito, face flies and horse fly carrying crud. I would try to get along with him if I could, but he can really mess with Dave's herd if he does not take cattle seriously. But I know nothing about Belted cattle, and they do not sell well here. Maybe there is something really good about them. So, I just don't know. And like you say, heifers???? Hearing this makes me thankful that I live in crop land country where someone won't just throw cattle out like that. I don't have disease or problems because there are no cattle close to me. Poor Dave, I feel for him. Or anyone else that this happens to.
I am not worried about his cows affecting my cows in any way. Some time in later April my cows leave to summer range which is a good 10 miles from here. That is as soon as there is grass and there will be very few bugs out yet at that point.
He doesn't have belties. They are Galloways but not the belted variety. Just straight black.

@Dave ... sorry, I was thinking belted Galloways... but being solid black will help with the selling, but it still won't help with the acclimation.... glad that they will not be affecting your animals in any way...
Maybe the guy will get lucky and they will do okay.... For the HEIFERS' SAKE, not the owner's... I hope they acclimate and can manage to get through the winter... with not too much difficulty.

@Dave I am so glad to hear that you can pull away from his herd if he is a POS. Still, when someone does what this guy does, it is stressful to others. Mostly to the cows.
Well, you can see I know nothing about Galloways. I thought they all had big white rings around them, and wondered who in the world would have bought that many thinking they would make money taking them to a sale when the calves were of weaning age, if that is his goal. I thought someone probably saw him coming and sold him the Oreo's. My mistake.
I just hope all of this, as it gathers steam, becomes a good thing and a good neighbor for you. Maybe he wants to learn, and do right. But then I dream a lot too. But I hope to read as you go along that things do keep getting better. Heck, we are about to hit February now, which I know is a cold month, but then Spring is so close. Just keep us posted as I read often my blood pressure goes up thinking of what other people have to put up with from someone close, that is out of their control.

@farmerjan, You are much like me. I need to look up Galloways and see what they actually are. I was thinking about the white ring around the middle and the heat and the sun. How the two ends would be hot and the center is cool. Yeah, right. What's with that ring anyway? I don't think their coloring would help at all with this cold weather we are having. Last night, it was down 9° and we are warming up to 22° today. I may wear my croc's outside and no socks with this heat wave coming on...

I knew that there were solid color Galloways... Blacks, Duns and the belted ones... I LIKE the belted ones... and the double hair coat on Galloways is a plus in many ways... good insulation in the winter cold and wetter conditions... helps to cut down on the amount of external fat on a carcass... Same with the Scottish Highland cattle... they also marble good... I have had some of both meat... friends had some Highlands and I had a few Belted Galloways because I liked them... The thing is they are a "niche" breed and if marketed as direct sale beef, can be a good deal... but you have to be in an area where you can market the beef directly.
They are a bit smaller so the smaller cuts of beef also are a plus in some markets.
I want to get one or 2 again to have for myself... and I have semen in the tank to breed a few too. Considering breeding one of the nurse cows with the semen for a good freezer beef calf...

Latest posts