Southern US cold snap?

Help Support CattleToday:

Mid teens today. -2 tonight. Calling for 61 as the high on Thursday.
About the same here... not quite as cold single digits... wind chill below zero though... upper 50's by end of week but we are looking at some rain too... 1-2 inches they say.
One saving grace... we are downgraded to extremely dry conditions on the drought monitor charts from the worse classes a few weeks ago, of moderate to severe drought... and at least the way we have been getting the moisture in this area, it has been mostly percolating down into the soil and not running off...

@farmerjan, You are much like me. I need to look up Galloways and see what they actually are. I was thinking about the white ring around the middle and the heat and the sun. How the two ends would be hot and the center is cool. Yeah, right. What's with that ring anyway? I don't think their coloring would help at all with this cold weather we are having. Last night, it was down 9° and we are warming up to 22° today. I may wear my croc's outside and no socks with this heat wave coming on...
Check out Blegen Galloways and Glenfiddich Galloways. They have some good stock and are commercially relevant. With our up and down weather the last few winters I am considering trying it on my commercial herd to see if they can make some hardy momma cows.

@gman4691, We are hundreds of miles apart but will have the same forecast almost. Tonight we will be at 19°, then tomorrow, 33° and the rains come as it climbs up to the 60° marker. What's not to love there? And the rain, well, it would be nice to just be dry, but we are still below on our water table I am afraid, so we better get it while we can. I am just glad for these cows as they have shorter hair and I make sure they have good hay with protein to keep them warm. I can see they have lost a little with these 0 temps. I don't like that.

@gman4691, We are hundreds of miles apart but will have the same forecast almost. Tonight we will be at 19°, then tomorrow, 33° and the rains come as it climbs up to the 60° marker. What's not to love there? And the rain, well, it would be nice to just be dry, but we are still below on our water table I am afraid, so we better get it while we can. I am just glad for these cows as they have shorter hair and I make sure they have good hay with protein to keep them warm. I can see they have lost a little with these 0 temps. I don't like that.
Mine haven't lost too much - although they are slightly slimmer - barely enough to see...also giving protein & hay and they look pretty good...even given last summer's drought...and we too could use the rain even though it does make it a bit messy going down there to feed...I can live with that as long as it isn't bone-chilling cold...temps can be OK but the wind coupled with the humidity can make it a little brisk on that open cab tractor - feels much colder than it is at times...the ride back to the house is facing somewhat north and can make the ol' butt pucker on some days

@redcowsrule33 Thank you for showing me the site on the Galloway cattle. Those are some nice cattle. Really thick and stout. I was surprised when I saw them, and I learned more about what they were. My cows could have borrowed their hair this past week. Do they shed off those curls in the summer? It is just a coat that I am not used to, just as the cows I have now, I am not used to either. They had some really good looking heifers in the show section. They would hold their own with any other breed.

Currently above freezing and solid cloud cover, our rain will begin here a bit later today and move/spread East/Northeast.
Yall can thank me next summer when the top few inches of soil is dry and dusty.

radar Sunday 1-21-24.jpg

It finally got above freezing yesterday. Gonna be in the 70's Thursday. High 50's to 60 today, and warming up every day til the THursday high in the 70's. Of course, as always happens in winter in the south.. when it warms up, it is gonna rain cats and dogs.

Last edited:
It finally got above freezing yester day. Gonna be in the 70's Thursday. HIgh 50's to 60 today, and warming up every day til the THursday hoigh in the 70's. Of course, as always happens in winter in the south.. when it warms up, it is gonna rain cats and dogs.
That's what's happening here…been raining since early this AM. It will probably hit y'all in a few days.