What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here German Shepherds are very popular.
We have an 11 week old male, Zeus.

Our last dog Saxon R.I.P (GSD) was very intelligent, loyal, smart, good with kids and very protective.
They are highly trainable.
Saxon would go anywhere without a leash and never bit anyone.

FarmersDigest":67izb8lt said:
Range maggots? What does your neighbor use those for?
He's got around 100 of them and uses them for mob grazing.

FarmersDigest":jjyyibqs said:
I think Dachshunds are cute, but they are just too small for me.
Don;t try to tell them they are small, they think they are as big as a Newf. My preperence for a general dog type of dog is a Basset, I've gotten too big to boost their butts into the truck so we've gone to a mini Dachshund. A neighbors great pyrenes came wondering through a couple of days ago and the weanie wonder ran it off after trying to whip it's butt.

dun":2hrtrgcr said:
A neighbors great pyrenes came wondering through a couple of days ago and the weanie wonder ran it off after trying to whip it's butt.

That sounds typical. They think they're real dogs.

Rafter S":2l0ystrf said:
dun":2l0ystrf said:
A neighbors great pyrenes came wondering through a couple of days ago and the weanie wonder ran it off after trying to whip it's butt.

That sounds typical. They think they're real dogs.
She has always got on well with all dogs, but the GP tried to put his foot on her and lay down on her. That's the only reason she got after him. The good part is he hasn;t come back.

I know of a few people with mini dachshunds... they are small, and I do like them, but not as a farm dog.. If I were to have a small dog, I think I'd look into jack russells... we have lots of rats here and they LOVE chasing rats... You wouldn't think it, but a jack russell CAN fit down a rabbit hole.. and somehow get back out! I have a strong aversion to yappy dogs though.. Bark a couple times if there's something to alert me about, but then ****.

BILL CLAYLAND":cdktzev1 said:
Around here German Shepherds are very popular.
We have an 11 week old male, Zeus.

Our last dog Saxon R.I.P (GSD) was very intelligent, loyal, smart, good with kids and very protective.
They are highly trainable.
Saxon would go anywhere without a leash and never bit anyone.
Oh my gosh, what a cute pup! Thank you for posting. Sorry for the loss of your other dog. We have a lot of people selling those around here. It worries me about the quality, as so many people look at puppies as a way to make fast money. We had a mix, and she was very shy and nipped at men. She pinned my daughter to the ground, and my other dog attacked the female dog. We gave her back to the people we bought her from.

Nesikep":13fqhhw4 said:
I know of a few people with mini dachshunds... they are small, and I do like them, but not as a farm dog.. If I were to have a small dog, I think I'd look into jack russells... we have lots of rats here and they LOVE chasing rats... You wouldn't think it, but a jack russell CAN fit down a rabbit hole.. and somehow get back out! I have a strong aversion to yappy dogs though.. Bark a couple times if there's something to alert me about, but then ****.

Yeah, I think small dogs are cute, but I am a BIG dog kind of girl! My Aunt has a jack and that little bugger jumped from the ground to get onto the hood of my car, I wasn't too happy. Plus he barks so much, especially at her horses.

the last dog i had went with me almost everywhere,didnt matter if i was on foot 4 wheeler or tractor.she would go with me.and she would always be close by.

bigbull338":2llx2mhv said:
the last dog i had went with me almost everywhere,didnt matter if i was on foot 4 wheeler or tractor.she would go with me.and she would always be close by.
I love it when a dog is that way. That's how my rott is.

JWBrahman":1sq5m21g said:
Look at my avatar. That is Espetaculo Pasto da Onca, the oldest registered Fila Brasileiro in the world. Linebred Caramona with Jaguara and Engenho Velho outcrosses.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJiRxRW9l7Y
These dogs fit all of the requirements you have listed.
I've never heard of that dog! Thank you for posting the youtube video with it, even though it was all in Spanish, lol that looks like a really awesome dog, but I'm sure it would cost a lot of money to have it shipped to me!

I am convinced that catahoulas might just be the best breed period. The bred in cow sense is a little lacking but as a farm dog mine are perfect... They are good watch dogs and act mean but are really friendly and are a really good judge of character. If they don't like a stranger that's not hurting anything they ignore them until they have a reason to handle them. They will go with you all day and try to help with whatever you're doing but are not travelers when left alone and mine have not torn up anything but they were raised with plenty to do. There is not an ounce of backdown in them if something else wants to fight(and they WILL win) but they don't pick fights either. Two of mine killed a BIG coon as ten month old pups but I have no concerns letting them roll around with the kids yanking their ears and punching them... The rougher the kids get the harder the tail wags.
I would put their intelligence up next to a border collie, but it's more of a wild type smarts than an easy to train smart. They're very willing to please me but they have to figure out what makes me happy on their own. Formal training on them has been a dismal failure which suits me as I don't like it either. They will figure out some neat stuff on their own above and beyond what can be taught. It only takes a scolding to teach them what NOT to do, though.

Farmers there are breeders in the US. There is no way Carlos would sell you or me his dog. Haha
That was Brazilian Portugese.

The fila won't kill your chickens or bite the hand that feeds it.

CP we had a catahula cow dog that was born to work cows.we didnt have to train her or teah her anything.she just knew how to stp and stay when told to she only went when you showed her the cow to go get and move up.if she heard the horn honk or banging on the truck door she stopped dead in her tracks till she was told to go again by stopping your hand on a cow.

Some great suggestions already. I will echo the fact that the working breeds can be tough to keep balanced if not given some real jobs and training. The labs are great obviously but yes can be high strung and i have been around some that throw tons of hair. Some of the best dogs ive trained were pit-lab mixes. Great pyrenees came to mind but obviously loads of hair.

One dog i think could fit your situation is a boxer. Short hair family dog that can make it on the farm. Ive trained dozens with a local adoption place and think they are great family dogs.

I'm surprised there has been no suggestions for the Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller). I got a puppy almost two years ago. I very smart mellow pup. I've never been around a dog with such a will to please. I talk to him like a person and he response. If you research them they are used for everything from Hog hunting to Search & Rescue. BTW, I agree, Labs when they are young they are a Spaz. B&G

Black and Good":25w7xs0l said:
I'm surprised there has been no suggestions for the Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller). I got a puppy almost two years ago. I very smart mellow pup. I've never been around a dog with such a will to please. I talk to him like a person and he response. If you research them they are used for everything from Hog hunting to Search & Rescue. BTW, I agree, Labs when they are young they are a Spaz. B&G
Here they're interchangeable with leapord catahoulas. One of mine is marked as black mouth cur and one is brindle. In that same litter there were three BMC's and five brindles. The bytch was marked BMC but when bred to a leapord male she gave all spots.

Here's a couple pictures of my BMC. One he's bout a year old playing with one of his friends Riley. Second he's playing on the bales with my son. LOL B&G

Latest posts