What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1wgbvmq3 said:
A Corgi! Ours loves the kids, barks at strangers, and helps with the cattle. She sleeps on my bed, and goes to all the shows with me. I have had just about every type of dog, and I can honestly say a Corgi is the best dog I have ever had. Calm, cool, and in control! lol

My cousin has one of those, very cute! I just think that they are too small. I worry about them getting under my feet, and the smaller they are, the more likely your able to break a bone. :( My rott likes to be where I am and sometimes I don't see him. Poor guy.

One of the reasons I like the heelers is they are a little less dependent on human interaction than collies (the worst) and labs.. I can't speak much for any other breeds..

Maremas are also very good dogs and sound like a good match for what you're looking for.. Defend the farmyard, bark at strangers and wildlife, good with kids, and are a bit bigger... You can see them at night well too, though they camouflage in snow pretty good (they're white)
My friend and his GF had one, when she moved out and moved about 2 miles away, there was no way the dog wanted to go with her, so my friend inherited the dog... it wasn't keen on leaving the farm unattended.

Nesikep":3mh10bah said:
One of the reasons I like the heelers is they are a little less dependent on human interaction than collies (the worst) and labs.. I can't speak much for any other breeds..

Maremas are also very good dogs and sound like a good match for what you're looking for.. Defend the farmyard, bark at strangers and wildlife, good with kids, and are a bit bigger... You can see them at night well too, though they camouflage in snow pretty good (they're white)
My friend and his GF had one, when she moved out and moved about 2 miles away, there was no way the dog wanted to go with her, so my friend inherited the dog... it wasn't keen on leaving the farm unattended.

The OP doesn't want have to brush a lot of hair. Wouldn't Maremeluts need brushing.

dun, I'm the keeper of my daughter's 2 Pit Bulls and while they are wonderful dogs with the folks they know and recogonize, as well as other dogs when introduced slowly and properly, they will take a stranger down in a flash if they perceive thereat. I certainly don't worry when I'm out of town and my wife is home alone.

We don't have a dog, and I hate it for my kids. They'd love to have one. I live on one of the busiest roads in my county. A friend of mine has a corgi/blue heeler. It's a nice dog. Smart and loyal.

LGD s are great to have if you have livestock and predators , they will also guard the family
they also work better in pairs , that is why you always see more than 1 with sheep , they are raised with the stock they are guarding also , but they do go threw teenage years , they are free thinkers
and do not do well with obedience training , most you can not train that way , these are the breeds most common Akbash , Pyrenees , Anatolian, Maremma , or any of these 4 crossed together , these are large dogs , read up on LGDs before going with these breeds, most do not need daily brushing Pyrenees may need to be shaved once in a while, for a general farm dog other breeds to consider are English Shepherd , Australian
Shepherds , other good dogs are X bred , Border , Aussey , heeler , I have had quite a few of this cross
and they are smart dogs ,
Suzanne

Nesikep":1uraf1km said:

Yeah the couple that are on the farm now, own a border collie, and man that thing is every where all the time! He's very loyal though. I like loyal.

I love the livestock guardian dogs. We were thinking of getting a couple of them, but they usually don't like to be in the house. I like the idea of a house dog. :D

Bigfoot":2i1mudkp said:
We don't have a dog, and I hate it for my kids. They'd love to have one. I live on one of the busiest roads in my county. A friend of mine has a corgi/blue heeler. It's a nice dog. Smart and loyal.
Yeah that would be hard, but I understand why you don't want to take the chance. My Aunt had their dog run out on a busy road, and was hit by a car. It was the worst thing ever!

Wow, that's a mix. I bet a small dog though. Right?

suzorse":2cd7o7og said:
LGD s are great to have if you have livestock and predators , they will also guard the family
they also work better in pairs , that is why you always see more than 1 with sheep , they are raised with the stock they are guarding also , but they do go threw teenage years , they are free thinkers
and do not do well with obedience training , most you can not train that way , these are the breeds most common Akbash , Pyrenees , Anatolian, Maremma , or any of these 4 crossed together , these are large dogs , read up on LGDs before going with these breeds, most do not need daily brushing Pyrenees may need to be shaved once in a while, for a general farm dog other breeds to consider are English Shepherd , Australian
Shepherds , other good dogs are X bred , Border , Aussey , heeler , I have had quite a few of this cross
and they are smart dogs ,
Suzanne

Yeah, I've done some reading about them. I've read that they are a dog that stay with the breed of animal they want to, not what you want them to protect. Well my rott went through stages, but it was with challenging me. Oh that's good, no daily brushing. I grew up with Malamutes and I don't like all the hair. Loved the breed though, and man is that a stubborn breed. :D Yeah and with how big the LGDS are, I worry about the amount of food they will need.

I liked the idea of Aussies, border's, but I just don't think they are too protective. The ones I've met welcome anyone and everyone. They are very smart, and that's one of the thing's that attracted me to those breeds.

If you like the guard dog thing talk to some Great Pyrenees folks. My understanding is that they are the freindliest of all those breeds. Although every Maremma I have met has been a real sweetheart. They will adapt to whatever lifestyle you want them too. And every dog needs to be brushed unless you like hair all over all the time.

I like heelers but they are a commitment and take effort.

I think there is only one place for pitbulls and that is not breathing. Period. My kids are not allowed anywhere there is one. I will stop there.

The biggest drawback to the serious herding breeds (heelers, aussies, BCs, etc. is their commitment to doing a job. If you don;t have a job for them they will find one on their own. You probably won;t like the one the choose for themselves.

Dun, I think you're right... they'll be up to no good in no time.
AllForage.. All dogs take commitment and effort... and *discipline*

FarmersDigest... To me it sounds like you need 2 dogs...

AllForage":1ox2bau3 said:
If you like the guard dog thing talk to some Great Pyrenees folks. My understanding is that they are the freindliest of all those breeds. Although every Maremma I have met has been a real sweetheart. They will adapt to whatever lifestyle you want them too. And every dog needs to be brushed unless you like hair all over all the time.

I like heelers but they are a commitment and take effort.

I think there is only one place for pitbulls and that is not breathing. Period. My kids are not allowed anywhere there is one. I will stop there.

Yup, I've been doing the talking thing! They are friendly as long as you don't mess with their animals or if they have a bad feeling about someone, they won't allow them on the property! The person I talked to said, if they were raised with goats, more than likely they only want to be with goats. She even had one that was raised with goats, but wanted to be with sheep. She said the dog would go be with the sheep and completely ignore the goats. They are an independent dog! I hardly ever brush my dog, and he doesn't get hair every where. Like I said, I don't want a dog that I have to brush every day!

Any herding dog will take effort and commitment!

My father in law has 2 pitties and they are great dogs! It's the little Chihuahuas and little dogs like that, that I keep my children away from! Those dang thing's chase my kids down the street, and they will bite!

dun":26v8pihg said:
The biggest drawback to the serious herding breeds (heelers, aussies, BCs, etc. is their commitment to doing a job. If you don;t have a job for them they will find one on their own. You probably won;t like the one the choose for themselves.
:lol2: You are so right, I wouldn't like the job they would choose!

Nesikep":2eoivq77 said:
AllForage.. All dogs take commitment and effort... and *discipline* :clap:

Yeah, I think you are so right! Maybe 2 LGDS in the pastures, and then a farm dog that's an in house dog. Just not sure of what kinds to put out in the field, and what to have in the house!

FarmersDigest":1m7qz9ue said:
Just not sure of what kinds to put out in the field, and what to have in the house!

My wife has a miniature Dachshund that stays in the house most of the time. Smartest dog I've ever been around (with the possible exception of a Border Collie my father had 30 years ago), and very alert and affectionate.

personally i wont have nothing but a border collie or aussie.they are good dogs.most if raised with kids will watch over the kids.

FarmersDigest":35t6m488 said:
Nesikep":35t6m488 said:

Yeah, I think you are so right! Maybe 2 LGDS in the pastures, and then a farm dog that's an in house dog. Just not sure of what kinds to put out in the field, and what to have in the house!
A neighbor got 2 LGDs (Great Pyrenes) as pups for his flock of range maggots. The male is stand offish and doesn;t want anything to do with people. The female doesn;t really care to be with the RMs and if it sees ANYONE it comes running.

Rafter S":28pkzdzc said:
FarmersDigest":28pkzdzc said:
Just not sure of what kinds to put out in the field, and what to have in the house!

My wife has a miniature Dachshund that stays in the house most of the time. Smartest dog I've ever been around (with the possible exception of a Border Collie my father had 30 years ago), and very alert and affectionate.
I think Dachshunds are cute, but they are just too small for me.

bigbull338":3lslcmlo said:
personally i wont have nothing but a border collie or aussie.they are good dogs.most if raised with kids will watch over the kids.
Do you find yours being protective at all?

dun":172aw7z1 said:
FarmersDigest":172aw7z1 said:
Nesikep":172aw7z1 said:

A neighbor got 2 LGDs (Great Pyrenes) as pups for his flock of range maggots. The male is stand offish and doesn;t want anything to do with people. The female doesn;t really care to be with the RMs and if it sees ANYONE it comes running.

Range maggots? What does your neighbor use those for?

Latest posts