What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmersDigest

Reaction score
I know that everyone is going to have their own opinion, but I welcome opinions! We have a Rottweiler right now, who is 10. If we get this farm, we want a farm dog. Here is what I want. A dog that is protective, but not so much that is becomes a liability. One that will protect the animals on the farm, can be a house dog, loves children (as we have a 14 and 7 year old) will want to be with us, but not high strung. Oh and won't kill animals on the farm. Oh and not a dog that needs to be brushed daily either. Thank you so much, and I look forward to hearing what you think. Have a great day!

I think you have about the ideal right now. With a little training it can taught to herd also.

For a rott ten is pretty old, but you know this already. Also if your current dog has always been a town dog there's a chance you may lose him/her just letting him/her run on the farm. Whole new set of rules for dogs and cats moving to a farm. Some cattle will attack them, yotes will try to take down a old dog, etc.

We are on our second lab/Chesapeake bay cross, I have no idea how that cross popped up as a pup when our first one past. The two best dogs ever, they protect their territory by barking, play with the grand kids and lay at our feet, or hog the front of the wood stove. Great dogs, labs, lab crosses (the right cross).

I am going to always say a lab is the perfect all around dog. Mine are taught to live cohesively even with the chickens and cats at a very young age. However I wouldn't trust a "bird dog" that hadn't been raised with chickens.
I adored my Rot/Lab cross. But she was a bit dog aggressive.

I have bred labs and done a lot of research. You have to be very careful (as with any pure bred) of genetic disorders. If you go the route of a breeder make sure the parents have been tested free for eyes, hips, knees and renal dysplasias. It saves a lot of heart ache later.

A mutt that ain't hard headed, but has brains enough to listen to you.
Usually the strays that just show up fall into this category.

I think Blue heelers are pretty good dogs if they have working parents..

Friend has a Pitt bull as a farm dog.. a lot of bark but a very friendly dog if the boss says you're a friend.. that dog adopts all the orphaned farm animals..chicks, kittens, lambs, piggies and calves all have a friend with him!

A Corgi! Ours loves the kids, barks at strangers, and helps with the cattle. She sleeps on my bed, and goes to all the shows with me. I have had just about every type of dog, and I can honestly say a Corgi is the best dog I have ever had. Calm, cool, and in control! lol

Nesikep":1fs88kcq said:

Friend has a Pitt bull as a farm dog.. a lot of bark but a very friendly dog if the boss says you're a friend.. that dog adopts all the orphaned farm animals..chicks, kittens, lambs, piggies and calves all have a friend with him!
Looks like you and I are the only ones that have anything positive to say about Pits.

dun":19lduwpj said:
Nesikep":19lduwpj said:
Looks like you and I are the only ones that have anything positive to say about Pits.

Saw a female pit bull / lab cross called "Mallard Muncher" in action. Awesome jaw muscles for the tough retrieves. :nod:

Labs are a good choice. Border collies, blue heelers, etc (working dogs) can be a real pain if you don't train them and/or don't want them working livestock.

Kingfisher":o36l7c6r said:
What kind of animals are you going to have?
Cows, chickens, and horses. There are a lot of deer, elk, and antelope that are running through the property. We would eventually like to get some sheep.

dun":3to0njgq said:
I think you have about the ideal right now. With a little training it can taught to herd also.
I would love to have another Rottweiler, but my hubby thinks they are too much of a liability. Ours now is going to be 11 and he's not as young as he used to be.

Alan":3gmu5apx said:
For a rott ten is pretty old, but you know this already. Also if your current dog has always been a town dog there's a chance you may lose him/her just letting him/her run on the farm. Whole new set of rules for dogs and cats moving to a farm. Some cattle will attack them, yotes will try to take down a old dog, etc.

We are on our second lab/Chesapeake bay cross, I have no idea how that cross popped up as a pup when our first one past. The two best dogs ever, they protect their territory by barking, play with the grand kids and lay at our feet, or hog the front of the wood stove. Great dogs, labs, lab crosses (the right cross).

Yeah, our vet can't believe it! Our dog Jude, who we just put down, was almost 13. He was a golden retriever/border collie cross. The best dog ever! The vet said we can make dogs live a long time! My rott goes where I go. My parents have 40 acres and we go up there, he stays with me. When they watch him for us, he stays where they are. He is a big momma's boy. Yeah, I wouldn't use him now, I couldn't handle him getting injured.

I've seen those being listed a lot around here! They sound like a great mix!

branguscowgirl":p83hyuwl said:
I am going to always say a lab is the perfect all around dog. Mine are taught to live cohesively even with the chickens and cats at a very young age. However I wouldn't trust a "bird dog" that hadn't been raised with chickens.
I adored my Rot/Lab cross. But she was a bit dog aggressive.

I have bred labs and done a lot of research. You have to be very careful (as with any pure bred) of genetic disorders. If you go the route of a breeder make sure the parents have been tested free for eyes, hips, knees and renal dysplasias. It saves a lot of heart ache later.

I have heard stories about labs being a bit high strung and stubborn. Yeah, my rott is a little dog aggressive, but it usually takes the other dog acting aggressive first.

Yeah, I've heard you have to be careful with a lot of breeds, as so many people are just worried about making a buck. Rather than caring about the breed and producing quality pups/dogs.

sim.-ang.king":6v6ay0w2 said:
A mutt that ain't hard headed, but has brains enough to listen to you.
Usually the strays that just show up fall into this category.
Lol very true! I don't seem to be lucky enough to get strays.

Nesikep":t7tg2754 said:

I like blue heelers, but I do like bigger dogs.

Pitts are good dogs, but again hubby thinks those are too much of a liability. Thanks to the media!

Latest posts