What kind of farm dog would you recommend?

Help Support CattleToday:

A friend of mine sent a video of a weanie dog herding a bunch of cattle through some gates. In reality I think it was just chasing them and they knew were to go anyway

A lot of guys around here run those BMCs on hogs and I have been around some great ones. Never had a chance to work with one but have thought about buying some before and might in the future. Weenie dogs are some of the funniest quirkiest dogs I've been around but have had more clients have trouble with potty training than anything else lol.

Another thought is a Weimaraner, I have a ten year old one and he's been one of my most loyal and obedient dogs, short haired good family dog. They can be a similar challenge when young as a lab especially chewing things but great trainable dogs and a shorter coat than a lab.

CaddoFarms said:
Weenie dogs are some of the funniest quirkiest dogs I've been around but have had more clients have trouble with potty training than anything else lol.

Oh yes! So True! Here' ours Winkin' Willie. He's the sweetest, Smartest dog! But, when it comes to peeing and Pooping he's the world's dumbest/stubbornest! LOL B&G
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 6480_o.jpg

Black and Good":1jsuh98z said:
CaddoFarms":1jsuh98z said:
Weenie dogs are some of the funniest quirkiest dogs I've been around but have had more clients have trouble with potty training than anything else lol.

Oh yes! So True! Here' ours Winkin' Willie. He's the sweetest, Smartest dog! But, when it comes to peeing and Pooping he's the world's dumbest/stubbornest! LOL B&G
Through the years we've had 3 of them, never had a problem housebreaking them. Bassetts can be a real problem for that. But we bred them for years and never had any issues.

Black and Good":2hpf2p2j said:
CaddoFarms":2hpf2p2j said:

I've pretty much had a doxy all my adult life. Just love the little rascals. Never had one trained for anything and have never had a male. Always said if they weighed 50 lbs. they'd kill a pit bull. The can be hillarious though.

TexasBred":283qk5cq said:
Black and Good":283qk5cq said:
CaddoFarms":283qk5cq said:

I've pretty much had a doxy all my adult life. Just love the little rascals. Never had one trained for anything and have never had a male. Always said if they weighed 50 lbs. they'd kill a pit bull. The can be hillarious though.

I got JR/weenie cross I get tickled at him all the time.

AllForage":1dprxs9p said:
If you like the guard dog thing talk to some Great Pyrenees folks. My understanding is that they are the freindliest of all those breeds. Although every Maremma I have met has been a real sweetheart. They will adapt to whatever lifestyle you want them too. And every dog needs to be brushed unless you like hair all over all the time.

I like heelers but they are a commitment and take effort.

I think there is only one place for pitbulls and that is not breathing. Period. My kids are not allowed anywhere there is one. I will stop there.
We've had two Great Pyrenees that were great dogs. And great around kids etc. We would clip them short in the late spring and by winter it would have grown out. When clipped they look like a greyhound and can run dang near as fast. Nothing for one to run down a coyote. One of ours got bit by a rattler and had to be put down and the other was stolen is all we could ever figure out. They definitely keep an eye on everything happening around them. Never owned one but am told that the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross is an even better dog.

cow pollinater":18n1tlu0 said:
I am convinced that catahoulas might just be the best breed period. The bred in cow sense is a little lacking but as a farm dog mine are perfect... They are good watch dogs and act mean but are really friendly and are a really good judge of character. If they don't like a stranger that's not hurting anything they ignore them until they have a reason to handle them. They will go with you all day and try to help with whatever you're doing but are not travelers when left alone and mine have not torn up anything but they were raised with plenty to do. There is not an ounce of backdown in them if something else wants to fight(and they WILL win) but they don't pick fights either. Two of mine killed a BIG coon as ten month old pups but I have no concerns letting them roll around with the kids yanking their ears and punching them... The rougher the kids get the harder the tail wags.
I would put their intelligence up next to a border collie, but it's more of a wild type smarts than an easy to train smart. They're very willing to please me but they have to figure out what makes me happy on their own. Formal training on them has been a dismal failure which suits me as I don't like it either. They will figure out some neat stuff on their own above and beyond what can be taught. It only takes a scolding to teach them what NOT to do, though.

Wow, thank you for taking time out and telling me about your dogs! They sound like a great breed! I have seen some breeders around here. Do you have your dogs intact or are they fixed? If they are intact, do you have any problems? I know with some breeds, they can have issues.

JWBrahman":25qd8kbu said:
Farmers there are breeders in the US. There is no way Carlos would sell you or me his dog. Haha
That was Brazilian Portugese.

The fila won't kill your chickens or bite the hand that feeds it.
Really? Well that's good to know. Lol yeah, I wouldn't expect him too. Oh, I'm sorry.

Sounds like a very good thing, and breed.

bigbull338":k91muanq said:
CP we had a catahula cow dog that was born to work cows.we didnt have to train her or teah her anything.she just knew how to stp and stay when told to she only went when you showed her the cow to go get and move up.if she heard the horn honk or banging on the truck door she stopped dead in her tracks till she was told to go again by stopping your hand on a cow.

Wow, that's awesome! What a dog. Sounds so very smart!

CaddoFarms":3c8hnkiv said:
Some great suggestions already. I will echo the fact that the working breeds can be tough to keep balanced if not given some real jobs and training. The labs are great obviously but yes can be high strung and i have been around some that throw tons of hair. Some of the best dogs ive trained were pit-lab mixes. Great pyrenees came to mind but obviously loads of hair.

One dog i think could fit your situation is a boxer. Short hair family dog that can make it on the farm. Ive trained dozens with a local adoption place and think they are great family dogs.

We thought about a boxer as well, but we were warned they really love killing birds. I know we could train it, but if we got a pup we couldn't, it would be so hard to have to find it a new home. =( I do think we will get a LGD for the pastures. I just really think we need to. Especially with having coyotes, cougars, and bears in the area!

Black and Good":26mvl1u6 said:
I'm surprised there has been no suggestions for the Black Mouth Cur (Old Yeller). I got a puppy almost two years ago. I very smart mellow pup. I've never been around a dog with such a will to please. I talk to him like a person and he response. If you research them they are used for everything from Hog hunting to Search & Rescue. BTW, I agree, Labs when they are young they are a Spaz. B&G
Never even thought of that breed! Thank you for responding and telling me to look at this breed. Sounds like it could be a good fit for us, I'll have to do some research for sure!

Black and Good":2sv67tk7 said:
Here's a couple pictures of my BMC. One he's bout a year old playing with one of his friends Riley. Second he's playing on the bales with my son. LOL B&G

Thank you for the pictures! That's amazing that he's in their with your cow! He looks very loyal and happy! Thank you for responding.

dun":yjn24tcz said:
A friend of mine sent a video of a weanie dog herding a bunch of cattle through some gates. In reality I think it was just chasing them and they knew were to go anyway
Lol that's awesome! I know small dogs think that they are all that and then some, and they have no fear! I just know I don't want a small dog.

CaddoFarms":3pk1j5c4 said:
A lot of guys around here run those BMCs on hogs and I have been around some great ones. Never had a chance to work with one but have thought about buying some before and might in the future. Weenie dogs are some of the funniest quirkiest dogs I've been around but have had more clients have trouble with potty training than anything else lol.

Another thought is a Weimaraner, I have a ten year old one and he's been one of my most loyal and obedient dogs, short haired good family dog. They can be a similar challenge when young as a lab especially chewing things but great trainable dogs and a shorter coat than a lab.
For hogs, that would make sense, as hogs can be real mean! Man I'll have to do some research, as you guys have helped me think of a couple of breeds I'd like to get! Thank you for responding.

Never owned one but am told that the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross is an even better dog.[/quote]
That's what my buddy has. Burt & Ernie. Real laid back. They watch the goats. Every once in a while they look at you like " I could take you down if I wanted to..." But ive never seen em be aggressive.

Kingfisher":focv4g43 said:
Never owned one but am told that the Pyrenees/Anatolian cross is an even better dog.
That's what my buddy has. Burt & Ernie. Real laid back. They watch the goats. Every once in a while they look at you like " I could take you down if I wanted to..." But ive never seen em be aggressive.[/quote]

That would make sense, I really think at times, it's best to mix breeds. Usually you get the best of each breed, and less of the health problems. Lol that sounds like what we would want! Thank you for responding!

If your after a LGD I highly, highly agree the Pyrenees would be great. My neighbor has two and they spend their whole lives amoungst chickens goats and sheep and they have never lost anything to a coyote or other predator. It is one of my future breed possibilities also. And yes mixed breeds are hard to beat in health and often times temperament. Purebreds in many cases have been bred selecting for single traits like size or coats it has lead to many breeds with chronic issues including bad temperaments (example mean Chihuahuas lol). I think mixed breed dogs are kinda like the benefits we see cross breeding cattle.

CaddoFarms":2ahr5196 said:
If your after a LGD I highly, highly agree the Pyrenees would be great. My neighbor has two and they spend their whole lives amoungst chickens goats and sheep and they have never lost anything to a coyote or other predator. It is one of my future breed possibilities also. And yes mixed breeds are hard to beat in health and often times temperament. Purebreds in many cases have been bred selecting for single traits like size or coats it has lead to many breeds with chronic issues including bad temperaments (example mean Chihuahuas lol). I think mixed breed dogs are kinda like the benefits we see cross breeding cattle.

I love how noble and loyal they look. Now that's awesome, never losing an animal. I couldn't agree more! That's why if I ever go for pure bred dogs, I find a real breeder. One that pays the good money for their breeding dogs, tests, and only breed for quality, temperament, and health. Rather than money! Yes, the health problems are getting to be so bad! Lol yes devil Chihuahuas! Mixed breeds are great! Yes, agreed again, cross cattle.

Latest posts