What kind of dog is this?

Help Support CattleToday:

Here is my stray that someone dumped. I'm thinking a catahoula lab cross but I am open for suggestions. He has a huge head and giant paws. He is friendly to a fault. I have been feeding him because he looks mean to someone driving up. He is smart enough to stay away from the cows. The barn cats don't care for him though which is not a bad thing.
I see a bit of Old Yeller in him

tumblr_p2d4wpDTFs1wks6iyo3_400.gifv

He has taken up with my cattle as I have seen him around at least a month. It is like he guards the cattle and they seem to not mind and I have lost no calves, I know of. He is a beautiful dog. There is only one house within at least a mile and it is not their dog.

xPi8thM.jpg

LvNf0x0.jpg

Looks like Anatolia Shepard to me... keep him around he has obviously bonded with your herd. Best livestock protection dog out there!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210807-084526_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210807-084526_Facebook.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 4
He has taken up with my cattle as I have seen him around at least a month. It is like he guards the cattle and they seem to not mind and I have lost no calves, I know of. He is a beautiful dog. There is only one house within at least a mile and it is not their dog.

xPi8thM.jpg

LvNf0x0.jpg

xPi8thM.jpg

LvNf0x0.jpg

xPi8thM.jpg

LvNf0x0.jpg
I've had stranger things happen:
Yrs ago i saw a a big dog running thru a field (versus alongside the road). I made up my mind if he showed up at my house he was my mine.
2 weeks later a truck pulled in my driveway and there was that dog hanging out of the back (staring at me and waggin his tail!). This old man said " the vet said you would probably take this dog: he was hangin out with my sheep". That was the BEST dog ever. Had him yrs and he was my protector and my best friend: I swear the Lord assigned him to me. RIP Oden. I miss you.

Agree, looks like an Anatolian .... they are less of roamers than Great Pyrs.... and are awesome guardians... have several friends with sheep and goats that have them and they would not trade them for anything. They also become very protective of who they consider "their family pack" as in humans.... if you do not find the owner, I would cultivate the relationship... will be invaluable with keeping coyotes and buzzards and even other dogs out of what he considers his charges.
This is exactly how we had acquired the Pyrenees we used to have. She found her way to our place and wouldn't leave. She was a great dog!

We have 3 and they have saved us a lot of $$$ in lost sheep to stray dogs and coyotes. Even warn off occasional cougar although it would take at least 4 to kill a large one. Friend in Texas had 2 adults and 3 half grown pups kill a huge male that had been killing sheep, goats, and calves in the area. Dogs had a couple cuts but survived. Our male is not friendly to strangers so be aware if he decides that is his field and his cows you might need to lock him up when loading for sale. Or using herding dogs since he will probably try to kill them. They are not good with other dogs of same sex and age. However, mini dogs they will allow - not sure if they recognize them as dogs. LOL

Great guardians. Not usually used with cattle except young calves. Make sure he accepts you as his own.

Looks to me like an Anatolian Shepherd. They are a breed of livestock guard dog. If they are anything like the Great Pyrenees dogs that I had, that dog could have come from quite a ways away. Some of mine liked to roam and were hard to contain. They were once spotted 10 miles away. If you can't find its owners, and it stays around it might be a good thing to have around. My Pyrenees were great at keeping coyotes and buzzards away as long as they were in the field.
If so, you are indeed fortunate. They are wonderful dogs.

We have 3 and they have saved us a lot of $$$ in lost sheep to stray dogs and coyotes. Even warn off occasional cougar although it would take at least 4 to kill a large one. Friend in Texas had 2 adults and 3 half grown pups kill a huge male that had been killing sheep, goats, and calves in the area. Dogs had a couple cuts but survived. Our male is not friendly to strangers so be aware if he decides that is his field and his cows you might need to lock him up when loading for sale. Or using herding dogs since he will probably try to kill them. They are not good with other dogs of same sex and age. However, mini dogs they will allow - not sure if they recognize them as dogs. LOL

Great guardians. Not usually used with cattle except young calves. Make sure he accepts you as his own.
Welcome here friend !!!!! @Ridgetop

1628366480011.jpeg
I breed Black-masked Anatolians. The picture above is of a Badger marked Anatolian. Curled tail up, sometimes over back, is hallmark feature of Anatolians. Your volunteer looks like a cross that favors the Anatolian lines. If his disposition follows that bent, you'll have a real bonus on your hands. When they determine who their herd is, they are extremely protective. I strongly recommend making friends with it if you want it around. It could decide you're not a part of the herd and become trouble for you, especially at calving time. They've been known to protect newborns from their mommas, their protective instincts are that strong. Make him your friend and let him know you, too, are part of the herd. An aloof protector that doesn't recognize your place can cause trouble.
Anatolians are a giant breed. My breeding male stands 35" at the shoulder. Not sure of the size from the photo, but looks more like 28-29" at shoulder and not as leggy as most. That might be the crossed breeding.

Last edited:

xPi8thM.jpg

LvNf0x0.jpg
Why, that's old, old 'Old Yeller'.

Latest posts