What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Help Support CattleToday:

Had a yearling get into a hog trap once. It was one without a bottom, so as she is trying every inch of the wire we flip it on its side. She spins in circles looking for the hole and never sees the whole open side. She catches a glimpse of the door which is now 18 inches tall and 36 inches wide since the trap is on its side and jumps through the door.

Trying to clean a pasture and had a cow disappear down a ditch. Walked the ditch looking and caught a glimpse of something yellow in the water. She had laid down in the water with only her head out exposing her ear tags.

Was Building onto my barn and was putting posts in the ground with concrete, finally got them squared up and braced went to the next post my old jersey cow came and knocked off my brace ( just tacked up). I got mad and ran her off and tacked it back up . Then she came and knocked it down again to make sure I saw her, and snorted and took off running. She did this 3 more times til she got her fill of it . It was hillarious how she made a game of it .

Wish I could have got it on camera but she Never would do it again.

here awhile back my big old cow messed up the gate going into the pasture just because she could.didnt take long to fix it though.

Trappersteve, I worked doing some fencing for a lady who had a couple jerseys.. She had a bred heifer that was particularly curious, and it really felt like she was inspecting my work, she'd be a few feet behind me and sniff each staple I put into the post.
A fellow from Colombia who worked for us for a season had a ranch back home, and had a pet heifer.. One day he was crouched down by a creek getting a drink, and she came up and nosed him on his butt, just enough to make him lose his balance.. and into the drink he went.. darned pranksters!

Just yesterday I saw one of my cows actually sucking milk from one the same age and size. Was just amazed...

Gerard Dawn":2ut1d0gp said:
Just yesterday I saw one of my cows actually sucking milk from one the same age and size. Was just amazed...

My first ever cow I had (bottle raised since birth) let her first born calf (my brothers animal) nurse for years and years and years. We'd shoo her away and she'd come right back and continue sucking. Did faze by cow's other calves as they were 600 lbs + at weaning time.

I had one get her whole front stuck in a hay saver bale feeder. Walked out there and her whole front 1/2 was stuck! Had to saw her out. Lucky for us she was pretty calm and didn't try to kill us in the process!

Just happened the other night, heifer got her head stuck in the hay feeder. Looked like she had been there several hours. Tried to push her back out but no luck. Managed to get a bottle jack between the bars without her smashing my hand once but she knocked it out before I got enough tension on it. Was able to retrieve it from by her feet with a pitchfork without getting killed but she did manage to kick hard enough to break the handle while it was in my hand, luckily she missed me. Second time was a success and was able to force the bars apart some and get her free. Did I mention it was dark, well below freezing, and with about 40 mph winds? Always something.

Cucumber35":14ljego8 said:
Just happened the other night, heifer got her head stuck in the hay feeder. Looked like she had been there several hours. Tried to push her back out but no luck. Managed to get a bottle jack between the bars without her smashing my hand once but she knocked it out before I got enough tension on it. Was able to retrieve it from by her feet with a pitchfork without getting killed but she did manage to kick hard enough to break the handle while it was in my hand, luckily she missed me. Second time was a success and was able to force the bars apart some and get her free. Did I mention it was dark, well below freezing, and with about 40 mph winds? Always something.

Thats when a tranquilizer shot can be really handy!.. if it's just enough to take the edge off them

Made the mistake of getting in my corrals after I poured cubes in the trough so I could pen up a cull cow. When my herd bull came in I was to the side of one of the pens. Instead of runing straight to the cubes he turned left straight for me. I jump over the side of the corral like a rodeo clown. I dont get in the lend with them anymore when they are coming in to feed. Only after they are already feeding and occupied. He has not been aggressive since but I never turn my back.

Nesikep":3uvamnig said:
Was he being aggressive or just looking for cubes a little too excitedly?
I like to assume just so excited looking for cubes. He was already at a full run when he came from the back pasture. Some of the heifers and cows had beat him there after I started my feed calling.

I've got a charolais/Hereford heifer that I bottle raised. She's tame, friendly and laid back but has discovered she'd rather roam and grass OUTSIDE the fence. She started this when she was in a pasture with old barbed wire that she'd stretch and walk through. Well, when I moved her to my new farm a few weeks back I figured with the 8 strand high tensile fence, I wouldn't have a problem... WRONG!! Never thought I'd see a 7-8 month bred, full grown cow be able to squeeze through an 8 stand fence!! I finally got a fencer on the fence and after a few days, finally found all the shorts, she now stays in!

younggun":3cvm05nd said:
I've got a charolais/Hereford heifer that I bottle raised. She's tame, friendly and laid back but has discovered she'd rather roam and grass OUTSIDE the fence. She started this when she was in a pasture with old barbed wire that she'd stretch and walk through. Well, when I moved her to my new farm a few weeks back I figured with the 8 strand high tensile fence, I wouldn't have a problem... WRONG!! Never thought I'd see a 7-8 month bred, full grown cow be able to squeeze through an 8 stand fence!! I finally got a fencer on the fence and after a few days, finally found all the shorts, she now stays in!
grrrr!
I have 1 calf and one bred heifer nursing off others. bad habits and I plan on dealing with them

This is old but i was having fun reading this thread and suddenly thot of a stunt I still laugh about today. Growing up I always liked to have a tame calf or two out of Dads herd that I could play with. Well there was one black brockle face steer about a month old who loved scratches and head/knee butting fights. Spring melting was happening, you know where you have slick ice under 6 inches of muck.. anyway I was out fighting with this guy his head to my knee and finally I'd had enough and turned away to head inside. Well I hadn't got far in my wander off when suddenly I found myself sitting serenely in freshly melting cow poo. Little stinker had come up behind me and put his head between my legs and set my down as nice as u please. My clothes made a bee line for the washing machine. Oh and that reminds me of the time my Ayrshire milk cow backed into me in the barn against the wall so I couldn't move and then pooped all over me. Those clothes didn't even make it to the washing machine. I stripped right in the barn and yelled at my mom for clothes. It had been several years since she'd seen my in my birthday suit

Latest posts