What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge":35lma1vd said:
dun":35lma1vd said:
Years ago we were running a yearling steer in with the bred/up close heifers. He tended to always hang around with on heifer in particular. When she laid down to calf he started messing with her. When he saw the feed and head pop out her backsaide he put his head wown against the head and pushed the calf part way back in. Calf would start to pop out, steer would push it back in. I was headed over to them to knock the crap out of him when the heifer calmly stood up, head butted him in the side hard enough that she knocked him off his feet. He got up and just kind of stood there wondering what happened. Heifer layed down and popped out the calf. The goofy steer ran away from them and any time the calf would get near him after that he would take off ofr the farthest point possible

That's a pretty good one. Lol
The vet happened to be by to BS at the time, thought he was going to wet himself laughing at it.

dun":1foldy4l said:
Years ago we were running a yearling steer in with the bred/up close heifers. He tended to always hang around with on heifer in particular. When she laid down to calf he started messing with her. When he saw the feed and head pop out her backsaide he put his head wown against the head and pushed the calf part way back in. Calf would start to pop out, steer would push it back in. I was headed over to them to knock the crap out of him when the heifer calmly stood up, head butted him in the side hard enough that she knocked him off his feet. He got up and just kind of stood there wondering what happened. Heifer layed down and popped out the calf. The goofy steer ran away from them and any time the calf would get near him after that he would take off ofr the farthest point possible

Great story, dun. Can't stop laughing picturing this happening. :lol:

I saw a cow in my neighbors place last week and told my son to find the hole and get her back in. He found it and fixed it that day. Yesterday morning I saw her over there again so I jump in the jeep and starting looking for a hole. I get to the north end of the fences and get a phone call from work and talk maybe 5 Minutes start checking again and she's not in there and I found no hole except about 2 ft off the ground just big enough for a dong to go thru. I go and check the rest of the cows and there she is acting like nothing has happened. I go about my day and late yesterday afternoon I see her out there again. I drive back there and make sure I keep an eye on her to see where she is getting out. She goes to the hole I found earlier (because I didn't fix it at the time ) and gets down on her front knees and crawls thru the hole. She weighs around 1200lbs and is heavy bred . I've seen them squeeze under fence but never crawl.

I just got back in from rounding up five cows from the woods joining our property. It seems they got into the creek and waded under the fence. Then they couldn't figure how to get back across. We ended up taking part of the fence down to let them back across. I've been browsing a previous thread about constructing a water gap in the fence. Looks like I've got a project this weekend! Luckily, I enjoy being outside and doing the work. Great stories, everyone.

My favorite stunt in the show lot-

For the longest time my dad one of those hideous huge straw beach hats from walmart, I hated it ad to did my mom. So of course he wore it everywhere.

One day after clipping heifers he happened to forget his hat hanging on a fence post, later that night we came back to feed and my favorite heifer prances on out of the barn happy as can be with a half eaten hat hanging from her mouth.

I released the bull with the cows last saturday, and one of my fencebuster cows was one of the first to be bred... she is the type who'll push on the fence until the posts bust, and she's been getting worse, and teaching the others how to do it... so the cows have been on the road right-of-way, and they came up and all laid down by our main gate... I grabbed a halter rope and threw a loop over the head of her calf when she was sleeping, she jumps up, and tears off... I kinda guide her toward the gate, she lets out a scream... mom come running, I open the gate and into the corral they go. She's been there a bit over a day now and she's absolutely furious, she can't understand how she was eating grass yesterday, and is stuck eating hay again... there's a lapse in her memory.

Next in line is her older daughter, who is another fencebuster... she's due to be in heat in 6 days, so the bull will have his day with her, and then she's coming back in too to keep her mother company... If either of them aren't bred, they're off to the sale barn in the fall, and if they are, I'll consider keeping them another year... it is kinda handy to have a couple in the corral to eat the weeds.

Sucks to be them though

The cow I put back into the corral is still furious.. she doesn't care about her calf, all she does all day is rub on her feeder and make a racket with her one horn nubbin clattering on the feeder (an old tractor rim with no center).

a couple of years ago when I first got my bull, He was about 18 months old, he got started pushing under a cattle panel that goes in a ditch that is part of my pond. (pond is fenced off). Every afternoon when I went to feed he would be standing at the pond gate waiting for me to let him out.

One day he didn't wait, he turned my gate into a pretzel, but the funny thing is, he didn't get in there any more.

IMG_20130615_144624_197_1_zpsd9d20d70.jpg

Not really all his fault though, fences are really low in this corral.

I had two bottle feed two bull calves for awhile. One is kind of short and round but the other is pretty tall for a short girl like me. I had gone out one afternoon to feed them ( I never really had any problems feeding them). I usually always feed the tall one but he took awhile to come over so I just went on feeding the short one first and all of a sudden the tall calf had managed to get his head between my legs. I went to step away and before i knew it he had pushed through and i was hanging onto this calf with just one leg wrapped over his back. He proceeded to go in circles and threw my tiny self to the ground...right into the mud. He didn't take kindly to being second. This calf has an all white face too with black circles around his eyes so he looks devious all the time. Haha

I took a ride the other day and came around a corner where there is some sort of oil/gas lift station and I see a few cows hanging out. I see a cow with about a half of some sort of woven type sack hanging out her mouth. She is just going to town chewing on it! They just did a bunch of maintenance on the site and I don't know if the bag was some trash they left or something that had blown in. Felt bad but wasn't really sure what to do. Can a cow spit a sack like that out?

Kingfisher":2zqetwdf said:
I took a ride the other day and came around a corner where there is some sort of oil/gas lift station and I see a few cows hanging out. I see a cow with about a half of some sort of woven type sack hanging out her mouth. She is just going to town chewing on it! They just did a bunch of maintenance on the site and I don't know if the bag was some trash they left or something that had blown in. Felt bad but wasn't really sure what to do. Can a cow spit a sack like that out?

Most likely some insulation for wrapping some of the instrumentation.
A lot around here is wrapped with a material that looks like a woven material
of some kind. I have never really inspected it to see what it is made out of.
I doubt it would digest in a cows system just looking at it, if it is the same thing.

My friend's bull (longhorn) broke the round bale feeder, and wore a 1/4 of the feeder like a bull moose's antlers and was walking around the field with it on his horns

Last year I had a dairy steer that I was raising for our school's lunch program, and he was somewhat trained... All I had to do was put the water hose on the gate in front of his water tank and he would grab it with his mouth and then drop it into the tank! I used to have a video on my ipod, but I guess I deleted it to make room for something else... :roll:

Can we talk about stupid human tricks? One landowner is having some work done on a rental house that's on the piece we run. He has left the gate open 3 times and the hotwire unplugged 4 times. Spent a few hours last night catching them up. Then called the sorry sob that left it open and ripped him a new one. Made sure the landowner knew he had a stupid human working for him too

Hook":282da0oq said:
Can we talk about stupid human tricks? One landowner is having some work done on a rental house that's on the piece we run. He has left the gate open 3 times and the hotwire unplugged 4 times. Spent a few hours last night catching them up. Then called the sorry sob that left it open and ripped him a new one. Made sure the landowner knew he had a stupid human working for him too
Get used to that one. :lol: Every stinking gate on every pasture here in the valley that has any type of livestock in it has a chain and padlock on it and if I hand someone a key I want it back that afternoon and I will go check to make sure they shut the gate shortly after they leave. I'm not worried about theft, I'm worried about idiots leaving the gate open and I'm constantly surprised by who leaves gates open... people that should know better, even people that own cattle. :???: My gates in the hills stay unlocked so that my neighbors can come in if they need to and there's never a problem there...They get it. ;-)

Latest posts