What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook":syh1mxc4 said:
Hard to get used to cows runnin down a road that sees 10,000 cars a day.
:mrgreen: Been there done that... I told five angry CHP's that they could take their pick, get the $%^& out of the way and let me and the dogs run them back in or stand right where I need the cows to go and keep yelling at me and threatening me with every traffic code they could come up with until I was under arrest and then the cows would still be out and I wouldn't be able to help them... They backed off. :lol:

Hook, wish I had a video of me one day. We were renting a house then and the landowner had a few cows. She took care of nothing. Dropped off maybe hay, but always a Hugh bag of old donuts and bread once a month. Cows got out, again. I am all dressed for work, high heels and all, sitting on the tailgate of the truck holding a donut in each hand. Two sorry but cows running after us all the way into the gate. Rush hour on boggy creek road. Had to go a bit over a mile.

Hook, wish I had a video of me one day. We were renting a house then and the landowner had a few cows. She took care of nothing. Dropped off maybe hay, but always a Hugh bag of old donuts and bread once a month. Cows got out, again. I am all dressed for work, high heels and all, sitting on the tailgate of the truck holding a donut in each hand. Two sorry but cows running after us all the way into the gate. Rush hour on boggy creek road. Had to go a bit over a mile.

I got another chuckle from my cow Mega today... she went through the motions of licking her brisket, without really licking it, then looked at me, licked her brisket again, then came RIGHT beside me and did it again, and stretched her neck out... I looked at the spot she was licking.. I found ONE louse!... she certainly could feel it and was glad I got rid of it for her!

Nesikep":o3lzr4xk said:
I got another chuckle from my cow Mega today... she went through the motions of licking her brisket, without really licking it, then looked at me, licked her brisket again, then came RIGHT beside me and did it again, and stretched her neck out... I looked at the spot she was licking.. I found ONE louse!... she certainly could feel it and was glad I got rid of it for her!
Nesi your cows KNOW that they have you wrapped around their finger! Uh well.......maybe hoof? :nod: Spoiled! :lol2:

Mega is totally spoiled!, and you can't say they don't have sensitive skin if ONE louse can cause that much discomfort. If all the cows I had were like her, I'd be able to clip them ALL and probably eliminate the lice completely... not going to happen for another 5-10 years I don't think though, but they are getting better. What gets me is how they can communicate what they want so effectively, if you know their language (does that make me bilingual?)

Cattle seem to do all kind of funny or weird things. A few I recall here was having a Red Gelbvieh Bull who hated Chevy Pick Ups, he would leave the herd chase it across the pasture and start beating it and rubbing and pushing on it until you pulled the truck out away from the pasture. He didn't have a problem with a Ford or Dodge but there was something about a Chevrolet. Also had a TN State Fair Grand Champion Simmental Bull whom would pen himself inside of a hay ring many times, he was 2200 lbs. + and would barely fit but he would do it often and beg to be let out. I would raise the ring just enough for him to put his nose under it and it would go flying with him running out from under it. Also had a Blaze Face Simmental Young Bull whom got his head stuck in a fork of a big oak tree, built a big enough step stool under his front feet that we got him high enough to help push him out. Wish I had taken pics of some of the things cattle have done here on the farm but always at the time I'd be more concerned about the problem and how to take care of it instead of taking time for a pic.

I pulled my gooseneck flat bed out in the pasture the other day with 4 rolls of peanut hay . And one of the cows was up on the bed eating. I thought it was funny.

OK... I have to admit, I LOVE this post and am glad I've got something else to contribute... Here goes.

I've got THREE bottle calves in the barn right now...One rejected by his mom in a winter storm who's actually getting weaned and the other two are the twins who lost their aged momma (another post). Well, I had already fed the older bullcalf and the neighbor lady was "helping" me feed the twins (I really don't need help but she's in her 70's and thinks she's doing me a favor!) Well, this neighbor is CONSTANTLY worried about the "barn kitties"...and feeding calves goes something like this:

"Oh the kitty is getting near the stall"... "Oh the kitty is under the bale of hay"... "Oh the kitty is at the edge of the loft"... "How many kitties are here?"..."Oh we're missing a kitty"..."what if the kitty gets stepped on" ....on and on. LOVE HER TO DEATH but really... they are BARN CATS!

Well my 22y/o daughter walks in the barn (she's a farm girl) and I see out of the corner of my eye that the bullcalf has a "kitty" in his mouth. So, trying not to alert the neighbor lady I tell my daughter rather quietly and rolling my eyes towards the situation..."Chelsea, please get the kitty"... Her eyes bug out of her head and she snatches the kitty from the bullcalf's mouth... I SWEAR you could hear the release of suction....

THE CALF HAD THE KITTY'S HEAD IN HIS MOUTH SUCKING IT!!

My daughter BUSTED out laughing and shoved the kitty through the bars of the stall that me and the neighbor were in "MOM! LOOK!"....that poor thing...if you've ever seen the calendars or pictures they make of WET cats looking mad... that was exactly how this kitten looked... it had wet hair going in every direction (on its head only) and I think it was in total shock. I thought for sure the neighbor would die right there at the sight of this poor abused kitty but she just laughed along with us... THANK GOD.

We've had to rescue a Holstein heifer from the top of a stack of big round bales once. She just decided that the ground, with all these yelling humans on it, was not a cool place to be and made her escape up the stack. Then of course she was too scared to jump back down again...

More recently, I took my prize Jersey heifer Bree to the national youth show (think 4-H). I'd spent hours on this heifer and she was so trained, she posed all by herself. Walk into the show ring nice and chilled because, well, what do I have to worry about? Bree's perfectly calm... and this 20-month-old beast takes off like a shot with me (5' 4" and barely 90 pounds) clinging desperately to the halter :bang: She spent most of the class squashing me against the side of the ring... three classes later she was a bit steadier :lol:

Well, I got another one for y'all... And once again, it's Mega...

So I weaned Lazyboy from her yesterday, and put her in the pasture.. She's not happy about this at all, and of course spent the night bawling.. Lazyboy on the other hand, was too lazy to complain, he had good hay and seemed pretty unfazed by this.
As you know, I milk Mega on occasion.. After calving, and after weaning for a little while, so this morning I go out with my pail and milk, she wandered a little but behaved pretty well all things considered. After milking, she gets a good bellyrub, neckrub, etc, and I jump the electric fence (about 32" high) and get about 10 feet, and here she comes, she jumps it too, clears it perfectly and doesn't get a leg hung up or anything (And you all know her build too right? Looks like she swallowed a barrel, but it's sideways in her) and she calmly follows me. I knew exactly where she wanted to go, so with the milk bucket in my left hand, I put a couple fingers behind her collar and off we go, she tagged along perfectly around the long way, and didn't even think of taking off when we were going the 'right way', so I just led her right into the corral.. she just followed like a saint, I was quite impressed. She's still 2 fences away from her calf, but a little closer now. I got enough milk to make 2L of yogurt, and I'll milk again tonight. She doesn't quite let her milk down for me.

Filled the feeder this evening and went to get a roll of hay. He was I'm a bind . I got him on his feet and he unwound him self.

M5, that SO doesn't look comfortable!.. who needs a fancy squeeze when they do that?

This morning we had 2" of snow on the ground, and the cows were all standing in the middle of the field.. Then I fired up the motorbike, and it was an instant rush to the fence, all bawling and begging for hay.. I ignored them, and a few HOURS later they went back to the field and grazed

Latest posts