What is the last " stunt" one of your cows pulled?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just remembered another stunt a pair of my cows pulled that got a laugh out of me.. Rosie the old girl is nearly 17 and has a bad hip and bad teeth. This summer she was in the corral with her younger (9 year old) sister Tizia, who's in full shape and probably had 600 lbs on Rosie. However, both are sucks for attention, and Tizia was the one I was giving it to... Rosie just gave her sister a sideways look and Tizia took off as fast as she could she was so scared of her sister... Respect your elders!!!

I do enough rotational grazing that my cows soon learn that if I call them and walk toward a gate it means fresh grass. Well this last fall I had called them down off a hill. I was walking across a big open field. Looking to the right or left there were cows there were cows spread out 20-30 yards each way headed the same direction as me. Something caught my eye and I stopped. Bam. I got hit in the back and nearly knocked down. I turned around and there was # 5 with this look on her face like don't stop sudden like that. She was following so close that when I stopped she couldn't stop in time. Nothing worse than a cow who tailgates. I knew that she was following me, she always does. I didn't know that she was that close.

I had two pair this fall who spent all summer on the neighbors place,didn't know they were there and he don't mind if a couple pair show up,so trailed them home several times and they kept going back. We'll joke was on them as the bunch of cows they paired up with were all culls. Last trip I rode out after them I took a transportation slip with me and handed it to the neighbors,suckers I got the last laugh!

Good for you!.. We've had some cows who though they'd outsmart us, and one way or another we'd get the last laugh... One was this younger cow who'd make like she had rheumatisms all the time.. just always slow and sluggish.. until a gate was left open, and she'd walk just fine... so she escaped and was all happy romping around, and we managed to get her back in, and after a few minutes we saw her and she had this look on her face saying "I was out there... How'd I get back in here"

I got one of dad's cows good ole 213 who is NEVER IN! I don't even bother with her any more,I keep hoping she comes up empty so I can ship her but be dammed she won't show up open. Best part is dad kept a heifer out of her,apparently the jumping gene skipped generation because her heifer stays in but ill be dammed her next year's steer we kept for a beef was a jumping athlete.....

Don't know if it was really a stunt, but i had a garage door open the other day and the cows came down to the house and when i got them back in i ride my 4 wheeler back to the house pull inside and there is a 800 pound heifer laying inside the garage looking at me and really didn't want to leave.

I just had a pair of sister cows fight... nearly to the death... they have the fighting genes in that line, and they were at it for about an hour... One is 6 years old, the other is 8... It was a heck of a show, and the rest of the herd was busy eating so I didn't bother breaking them up.... they got SO tired after about a half an hour of it they'd push and shove a bit, vie for a better position, and rest a bit.. at one point they were head to head, and their knees were just shaking from exhaustion.. The younger one did win the match, but not by much,... she didn't have the energy to go chasing her sister around... they kinda just plodded to the watering trough, huffing and puffing. If I know these cows, they're going to be at it again a few more times.

We recently pressed some sunflower seeds for oil, and had the cake left over, and for a while, I couldn't get anyone to eat it, but suddenly a few of them have caught on and have gotten *really* keen on them... I have a heifer who's the underdog separated out from the rest of the herd with my late calver who's milking, so they get a bit more food, and this underdog heifer will do *anything* for this cake... in fact, she beats up an 1800 lb cow for it. Goes to show that they can all fight, if there's something worth fighting for!

ThreeCrossBuckaroo":g3q8gqu8 said:
I got one of dad's cows good ole 213 who is NEVER IN! I don't even bother with her any more,I keep hoping she comes up empty so I can ship her but be dammed she won't show up open.

HAD one that kept really fat by doing her own version of the leader follower method.
If I was around the other cows would sometimes rat her out by bawling. :lol:
Got so when she saw the truck coming she would usually walk over to a gate for me to open so she could rejoin the herd...

ThreeCrossBuckaroo":xq19396d said:
I got one of dad's cows good ole 213 who is NEVER IN! I don't even bother with her any more,I keep hoping she comes up empty so I can ship her but be dammed she won't show up open. Best part is dad kept a heifer out of her,apparently the jumping gene skipped generation because her heifer stays in but ill be dammed her next year's steer we kept for a beef was a jumping athlete.....

Those are always the ones that breed easy...

Just yesterday I had one pull a bit of a stunt that gave me a chuckle... I have 2 heifers and a milking cow in one field, and the rest in the next field... My usual routine is to open the gate, pull in, feed the heifers and milker, then go feed the rest of them, pull out, get the bucket of sunflower cake/grain mix and give it to the milker and heifers, and they really go wild for it... One day I had forgotten to fill up the bucket though, so as I was closing the gate the milker was looking at me.. begging, and I told her "Sorry, I don't have any grain for you today"... at which she snorted and shook her head, as if she just said "this is bloody bullsh*t"

When I was younger and didn't know any better, I spotted a speckled brahman bull in a trailer at the sale barn. He was young probably weighed about 700lbs. My thoughts were I need him. I didn't have any cows, but Moma and Grandpa did, and I had just dropped a load off for them. So, I told a guy to to buy him for me. Needless to say, Moma and an aunt picked him up and locked him in the pole barn. When I got there he was out, and the gate was open. They said it was locked when they left. Well, I did get it back in and observed his behavior. What I bought ,was an escape artist. he wood walk and rub the chain, hooked on a nail, which kept the gate closed. Back and forth, back and forth he would go trying to knock the chain off the nail. I watched this for a few minutes, and this time he was not successful. So, he rared up putting his front hooves on the top of the gate, and pulled and slid over the top of the gate. He did not jump it, but slid over dragging his stomach and all across the gate like a garden hose. That was one of the dumbest and most senseless purchases ever made. The bull was smart, and most Brahman cattle are smart. Caught him about a year later, and sold him for $45 more than was paid. Rodeo buyers bought him. I have never bought another bull at the sale barn, and no more than 2 cows there outside of a dispersal.

I was going to add this post to my " Medina Gate" thread but this thread works too ;(. I tried to vaccinate my heifers today and boy what a mess/ waste if time. I was doing pretty good by myself this morning and the help showed up.....;(. None the less the girls were not having anything to do with goinv in the catch. So I have the idea to make the "catch" area a little bigger. Figured it would make em more at ease and I could put a gate on the end and catch em! Yikes. After a bit I caught#2 and things were looking good untill that crazy Angus bred he nice decided she was going over the bull panel! If that wasn't enough she gets her foot caught on her grand finally lunge and I froze! I'd been tryning to cut the panel loose to much dismay as her weight had it stretched pretty tight against the wire securing it to a cedar post..I needed a machete. Then she's hanging like a dog over the tailgate and I so wanted a picture of that crazy sight but could only think of how much money I was going to loose once she hung up in the panel!! Then the next one wadded up the gate before I could catch my breath and chain the bottom! These cows did stuff today that I never imagined! It's all good just need some more practice:)

Three weeks ago we picked up 5 new cows for the farm and put them in the pen up by the house and yesterday a man knocked on the door and wanted to know if I was missing 4 cows. I looked over at the pen and yep the gate was open and 4 were missing. So I run in the house and get a loaf of bread and head across the street where they are. Shake my bread and they head towards me in a line as if their mommy is calling. So there I am walking down the street shaking my bread with 4 adult cows walking in line
they follow me right back in the pen no problem. The whole time folks are driving by taking pictures with their phones!! And this folks is the reason I bread train each and every cow!!

Was it my fault: Nope it was hubby's because he didnt chain the gate that morning when he put hay out for them!!

my cows don't like bread.. a grain bucket works, but usually, unless they've broken out into someplace really tasty, I can just call them back... If they did get someplace that there's no convincing them to leave, I use the dirt bike, and rev it up really good.. they know that if I'm puttering around they're doing what I want, and if I'm revving it, they're in trouble... sure saves a lot of running (for me)

I just had one of my little heifers give my parents a laugh while I was gone to the vet... I had a 5 gallon pail with warm water in it for the sick cow to drink, but she knocked it over, and it rolled into the heifer pen... completely empty. One of the heifers figured there must be something good in it, shoved her head in, and couldn't get it out, she was wandering around the corral, blind, with this bucket on her head, complete with the handle of the bucket over the poll of her head.

Don't be embarrassed, you are not the first and won't be the last. No matter how much a person learns before starting with livestock there are going to be things that you have to learn from experience

6x6 minimum and in the ground at least 4 ft. I place my gate post and attach 2x6 boards to it on both sides with 6 inch spacing between the boards then I place post on the outside of shute at 3' and 5' so I can post the calves or cows.

Don't feel bad, that's always been a fear of mine, I have steel pipe corrals but I have still worried some about the bolts that hold the head gate breaking, when a 2000lb bull runs up in it.

Our neighbour had an old bull in the squeeze, and I think he was getting branded, and the instant that hot iron touched him, the bull pretty much just inhaled a deep breath, and bend the heck out of the whole works. Later, that bull took a run at his old man (who was farm-wise), and the old man put a manure fork through the bull's nose and into the ground (I'd have liked to see that) Apparently the bull smartened up after that.

Last night I had one of my heiferettes out for a little early grazing on the halter, and just about forgot about her when I went to bed. So I go out, and put her back in the pen with her mother and 3 week old sister... the two of them run up to each other, butt heads and play a bit, then the younger sister goes and starts to nurse on the heifferette, and she just stood there as if it was her calf (I swear cattle do recognize family).

Some of you may remember my big steer Joules, who I sold to a friend of mine in december (about 1500 lbs)... well, he is about 2 weeks away from landing in the freezer, but this same fellow also bought Joule's intact young brother (Hector, ~700 lbs). So last weekend he got Hector home, and he's semi halterbroke (Can be handled, but doesn't lead very well), and he haltered him up and led him out of the trailer, past the piggies and the sheep (that needed close inspection), and was about to bring him into a pole barn, when down in the field Joules gives out a great big bellow, Hector perks his ears, and drags Trent (6'3", 250 lbs) behind him at full speed to go see his brother. So the idea of the barn was scratched, and the two are together now.

Years ago we were running a yearling steer in with the bred/up close heifers. He tended to always hang around with on heifer in particular. When she laid down to calf he started messing with her. When he saw the feed and head pop out her backsaide he put his head wown against the head and pushed the calf part way back in. Calf would start to pop out, steer would push it back in. I was headed over to them to knock the crap out of him when the heifer calmly stood up, head butted him in the side hard enough that she knocked him off his feet. He got up and just kind of stood there wondering what happened. Heifer layed down and popped out the calf. The goofy steer ran away from them and any time the calf would get near him after that he would take off ofr the farthest point possible

dun":2ut4gyrc said:
Years ago we were running a yearling steer in with the bred/up close heifers. He tended to always hang around with on heifer in particular. When she laid down to calf he started messing with her. When he saw the feed and head pop out her backsaide he put his head wown against the head and pushed the calf part way back in. Calf would start to pop out, steer would push it back in. I was headed over to them to knock the crap out of him when the heifer calmly stood up, head butted him in the side hard enough that she knocked him off his feet. He got up and just kind of stood there wondering what happened. Heifer layed down and popped out the calf. The goofy steer ran away from them and any time the calf would get near him after that he would take off ofr the farthest point possible

That's a pretty good one. Lol