What do you call your cattle market facility ?

Help Support CattleToday:

What do they call markets where you are ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here it's:
Monday: Mayberry
Tuesday: Hooterville
Wednesday: Smallville
Thursday: Mt. Pilot
Friday: Bedrock.
Saturday: Pottersville.
This made me giggle.
Monday: Andy Griffith
Tuesday: green acres
Wednesday: Clark Kent? Superman?
Thursday: same as mayberry
Friday: flintstones
Saturday: just pottersville I guess

I used to watch a bit of TV years ago

Livestock market and livestock auction are new terms that people are calling themselves now.
Most everyone calls it the sale barn

This made me giggle.
Monday: Andy Griffith
Tuesday: green acres
Wednesday: Clark Kent? Superman?
Thursday: same as mayberry
Friday: flintstones
Saturday: just pottersville I guess

I used to watch a bit of TV years ago

Livestock market and livestock auction are new terms that people are calling themselves now.
Most everyone calls it the sale barn
Correct. Smallville is Clark Kent. Pottersville is from It's a Wonderful Life; I should have went with Bedford Falls from the same movie.

Mostly "saleyards" here but when they get redeveloped and all modernised they try to go upmarket a bit and call them a "livestock exchange". When you are talking though about selling cattle you just say your going down to the Warwick sales and people know what you mean.

Ken

Yes it is, we have 2 within 20-25 miles and 2 more around 30. Then at least 4 more in about 50-60 miles. Still several more around the state a little farther.
Since you are from Ky too, have you heard anyone call it the stock pen?

Taking them to the Sale Barn. But it's at Winfield Livestock Auction. Interchangeable. That said, Winfield Livestock Auction also has an annual Farm Consignment Sale, private treaty/dispersal sales and hosts classes (Ag/Cattle) for Kansas State University.

Since you are from Ky too, have you heard anyone call it the stock pen?
I haven't, it maybe a regional thing. There can be quite a difference sometimes between terms used in the east part of the state vs the western part. Then when you get into some of the more off the beaten path rural areas there can be quite a difference even within a given area.

Mostly around here if you say "stockyards", it's understood that you're talking about the Oklahoma National Stockyard in Oklahoma City. OKC West in El Reno is OKC West, or some just call it west. Most of the others are referred to as the (town name) sale barns...

In my area of Ky, a lot refer to it as the stock pen. That's what all the old timers called it when I was growing up, and I still hear that a lot. That isn't in the official name of any that I know of. Stockyard or Livestock Market is usually in the official name.
Stock pen is what most folks I'm around call ours. If folks take them out of town they just say I'm taking them to Newport or Abingdon and you know where they are going.

I am in the same general area as @JW IN VA . Most of the places that sell livestock have "stockyard" in their name.... often I will say something like "are you going in to the sale today"..... meaning going to the stockyard. Or you going to the auction.... but often an auction is referring to an auction of say farm equipment and such. But I have a friend that calls "estate sales", auctions that they go to on Saturdays.... because there are auctioneers selling there.

A male sheep is a ram, and a male goat is a buck.... but many in this area call a male sheep a "buck sheep"..... and I have heard the ewe / "yo" term here in Va yet in Ct it was always ewe.....
For years I always heard baling strings.... but the old timers down here in Va., say "tar strings".... because the old baling strings years ago had a tar type substance which made them less attractive to rodents chewing on them....
....'cept a male goat is a Billy.............. (y)

Stock pen is what most folks I'm around call ours. If folks take them out of town they just say I'm taking them to Newport or Abingdon and you know where they are going.
Good deal. I was beginning to think I was the only one who used stock pen. Aren't you in TN?

Good deal. I was beginning to think I was the only one who used stock pen. Aren't you in TN?
Yep. Northeast Tennessee. I guess it depends on who you grew up or run around with. My papaw always called it that, so it stuck with me.

Cow sale...
I'm going to the cow sale.
You don't have to say what one. Every one knows by the day of the week.
Monday is mason
Tuesday is Hamilton
Wednesday is Lampasas
Thursday is San Saba
Friday is Cameron
Saturday is gatesville.
Correct

I hear different names for them.
Here, in, western Va, most all call them stockyards.

Different names and pronunciation for a lot of things across this great nation. One other example is how a female sheep is pronounced in my area. Most places pronounce E W E as y-o-u. Here, it's Y-O. Just like "YO, Adrian" :unsure: :unsure:
I hear different names for them.
Here, in, western Va, most all call them stockyards.

Different names and pronunciation for a lot of things across this great nation. One other example is how a female sheep is pronounced in my area. Most places pronounce E W E as y-o-u. Here, it's Y-O. Just like "YO, Adrian" :unsure: :unsure:
Auction ring. Maybe sale. Wife knows what that means. sale barn.
You for sheep. Male is a buck.
We tie our hay with bailn' war and cut with war plars and drink China beah (shiner beer).

Auction ring. Maybe sale. Wife knows what that means. sale barn.
You for sheep. Male is a buck.
We tie our hay with bailn' war and cut with war plars and drink China beah (shiner beer).
I like your choice of beah's. You must be in south central Texas.

Latest posts