What do rural people want?

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259":3scyfj31 said:
Also - as an ordained minister in a very conservative denomination, I have never found any evidence limiting my freedom of religion. I have found no evidence in my own practice or the practice of my peers limiting our worship experience. No one has ever told me how or why or when to practice my faith. I can't help but wonder why I've had such a different experience. Geographical? Contextual? Very interesting.....

Well I've seen freedom of Religion suppressed at some schools and other public events. When I was growing up you pledged allegiance to the flag every morning before school. Gave thanks at lunch- dinner and again at supper time. Like my grandpa always said "a little bit of religion never hurt anyone" and he was an atheist. But you'd never of known it. Respect is what this country was built on.

Turn this around, What do urban people want? Why do they vote the way they do?

electoral-small.png

JMJ Farms":3u8zdfzo said:
Margonme":3u8zdfzo said:
The axiom that comes out regardless of persuasion is this:

Human beings don't respond well to force, being dictated to or having what they perceive to be their rights trampled on.

As Darryl does not want homosexuality introduced into his environment; by the same token homosexuals don't want their lifestyle discriminated against. Both sides seem to want to antagonize the other. I don't have a shred of interest in engaging in homosexual activity. I am not wired for that lifestyle but that some people are does not concern me in the slightest way. I would stop on the side of the road and help a gay man as easily as I would some hairy azz redneck.

Ron, you need to be careful. Make sure that hairy azz redneck is not gay or you could find yourself in (or on) a pickle :lol2: :hide:

The second most telling post in this thread. You got a point there.

:lol: :hide:

Of which the majority of dollars are designated to welfare programs. Welfare has long been disguised by being hidden in the farm bill. I will step out a little farther and say that I imagine that the largest percentage of welfare dollars are stolen by rich people in high places before it reaches the intended recipient, but this is strictly my suspicion bc I have no proof.[/quote]

Look up the Farm subsidies in our area. You'll know a bunch of them and none of the top 10 need it. To me they're just greedy and hypocrites.

True Grit Farms":3n8o5mkc said:
angus9259":3n8o5mkc said:
Also - as an ordained minister in a very conservative denomination, I have never found any evidence limiting my freedom of religion. I have found no evidence in my own practice or the practice of my peers limiting our worship experience. No one has ever told me how or why or when to practice my faith. I can't help but wonder why I've had such a different experience. Geographical? Contextual? Very interesting.....

Well I've seen freedom of Religion suppressed at some schools and other public events. When I was growing up you pledged allegiance to the flag every morning before school. Gave thanks at lunch- dinner and again at supper time. Like my grandpa always said "a little bit of religion never hurt anyone" and he was an atheist. But you'd never of known it. Respect is what this country was built on.

The problem with practicing religion in a public setting is deciding on whose religion you practice! In my case, I have no religion to practice. Don't waste my time with your rituals. If you want to pray, pray to yourself but don't infringe on my rights.

HDRider":3gzk85gb said:

electoral-small.png

Well, at least this tells my why I keep arguing for BOTH sides ..... I'm right on the frickin line between light blue and light red!! I got a foot in both swamps!!

As a mediator between the two sides - it seems to me the argument may boil down to one word - respect. Respect our choices. Respect our beliefs. Respect how we choose to live. Respect what's important to us. And - you may find this hard to believe - but a MUTUAL disrespect for how government is "helping".

Margonme":1f16y2yb said:
True Grit Farms":1f16y2yb said:
angus9259":1f16y2yb said:

The problem with practicing religion in a public setting is deciding on whose religion you practice! In my case, I have no religion to practice. Don't waste my time with your rituals. If you want to pray, pray to yourself but don't infringe on my rights.

Like it or not this country was built on Religion. And people like you need to just sit back and show a little respect. I don't need any preaching to, and don't do the church or prayer thing myself. But I still show my respect to those that do.

angus9259":1y1sk02r said:
HDRider":1y1sk02r said:

electoral-small.png

Well, at least this tells my why I keep arguing for BOTH sides ..... I'm right on the frickin line between light blue and light red!! I got a foot in both swamps!!

As a mediator between the two sides - it seems to me the argument may boil down to one word - respect. Respect our choices. Respect our beliefs. Respect how we choose to live. Respect what's important to us. And - you may find this hard to believe - but a MUTUAL disrespect for how government is "helping".

You are on a roll. 100% AGREE

True Grit Farms":1mrfgptr said:
Margonme":1mrfgptr said:
True Grit Farms":1mrfgptr said:

Like it or not this country was built on Religion. And people like you need to just sit back and show a little respect. I don't need any preaching to, and don't do the church or prayer thing myself. But I still show my respect to those that do.

That works both ways and there in lies the problem. Angus9295 got it right. Now, when you can sit down and respect a person of Islam who wants to practice their faith in public, then stick 3 feathers in your azz, crawl up on a dung pile and crow.

Lol. I love that line. One of my own I creations.

:hide:

Margonme":1oie2mxw said:
True Grit Farms":1oie2mxw said:
Margonme":1oie2mxw said:

That works both ways and there in lies the problem. Angus9295 got it right. Now, when you can sit down and respect a person of Islam who wants to practice their faith in public, then stick 3 feathers in your azz, crawl up on a dung pile and crow.

Well I sure won't get personal, but islam isn't a Religion. Never has been never will be.
Some folks will do they're best to ruin another thread.

True Grit Farms":jybl309g said:
Margonme":jybl309g said:
True Grit Farms":jybl309g said:

Well I sure won't get personal, but islam isn't a Religion. Never has been never will be.

I was sarcastic. I thought you knew that. Sorry.

Your assessment of other religions is an opinion and at best only commentary. It does demonstrate why we are divided.

PS: This is an excellent thread. Rare to have this discussion on CT. I got a feeling we are in a grace period due to the election. One of these days, the moderators are going to return to enforcement of the rules.

HDRider":nhiwmton said:

electoral-small.png
HD, I think that is a 2012 election results map--it doesn't reflect what happened in Texas on Tuesday anyway.
Way too much pink if the below Houston Chronicle 'maps' are accurate. 2012 on the left, 2016 on the right:
920x920.jpg

As a producer of food (perhaps not rural) - I want people to be aware of where their food comes from. That was the greatest awakening I had when I started raising cattle. "People" - mostly in the blue areas - have no idea where their food comes from and how difficult it is to produce. Instead, they judge the practices of the food production without ever having lived it. It's kind of like how my wife (an elementary school principal) feels about being dictated to about the educational process by people who have never worked in a school. It's very odd.

It's ALWAYS good to get feedback from outside the forest - there is much you lose track of when you live in it every day though so I hope the agricultural community can still be positively challenged by people who don't live here.

Margonme":v4snfexa said:
True Grit Farms":v4snfexa said:
Margonme":v4snfexa said:

I was sarcastic. I thought you knew that. Sorry.

Your assessment of other religions is an opinion and at best only commentary. It does demonstrate why we are divided.

PS: This is an excellent thread. Rare to have this discussion on CT. I got a feeling we are in a grace period due to the election. One of these days, the moderators are going to return to enforcement of the rules.

This is a good thread and I just want to keep it going. So I'm done with religion and politics.

angus9259":3qwjcn34 said:
Angus you mean you don't even have that one little ol' saint that tries to tell you how to do your job?? :lol: :lol:

callmefence":3ozkuuwz said:
Op. What do rural people want.

To be left alone and to fend for themselves.
I want the city folk to stay in their dang cities. They should have to have a passport to even venture on to a FM road.
Tourist seasons for National Forest areas should include a bag limit for those of us living near them too. 3 each would probably be fair enough

angus9259":1f7euip3 said:
As a producer of food (perhaps not rural) - I want people to be aware of where their food comes from. That was the greatest awakening I had when I started raising cattle. "People" - mostly in the blue areas - have no idea where their food comes from and how difficult it is to produce. Instead, they judge the practices of the food production without ever having lived it. It's kind of like how my wife (an elementary school principal) feels about being dictated to about the educational process by people who have never worked in a school. It's very odd.

It's ALWAYS good to get feedback from outside the forest - there is much you lose track of when you live in it every day though so I hope the agricultural community can still be positively challenged by people who don't live here.

To apply this to the ones we vote for, how about they stay home and use the electronic devices to get their job done? If they weren't in DC they would know their constituents needs, less easily influenced by lobbyist, less money spent, less chance for discord.

TexasBred":349hlz89 said:
angus9259":349hlz89 said:
Angus you mean you don't even have that one little ol' saint that tries to tell you how to do your job?? :lol: :lol:

Yeah. My mother in law. But I don't think that's about religion...

Latest posts