What do rural people want?

Help Support CattleToday:

CottageFarm":fkn9kqyc said:
City Guy":fkn9kqyc said:
OK, I'm back. I am not denying that some parts of major cities are destitute. I'm saying I have seen sights on farms that are disgusting. Mud and manure up to the knees. Jagged wires, even pieces of rusty rebar sticking out of fences, barns, and the ground. Basketball size pieces of jagged concrete under foot--lots of it-every where. Crumpled pieces of metal roofing with sharp edges lying around. Dilapidated sheds about to fall down into which the cattle could go and easily knock it in on top of themselves. Listless cattle with glazed over eyes, hunched over, heads hung low, manure encrusted. Green water with scum on top.
These were not on white trash places, these were on large breeding farms with fancy websites and full page, four color ads in the breed journals. I seek out these places because I want to see the animals. More often than not I am disappointed.

Congratulations, you just perfectly outlined the differences between the priorities of rural vs urban dwellers.
Wire, and concrete, and metal ...oh, my!!! Welcome to reality Dorothy!
I know, there is no excuse for not calling in the pool guy to take care of that green water in the summer.
And look, its 7 pm already and Dash still has his trash can at the curb... quick, call the HOA! I want his farm to look like a calender scene, dammit!

Please understand that there is nothing wrong with your (or anyone elses) compulsiveness...right up until it affects (or even seriously annoys) someone else. At that point, it becomes your problem, not theirs.

In all seriousness, yes there are people who are slobs, and dont take proper care of their animals, but it certainly is not the norm, and much of what you describe is an aesthetic annoyance or a perceived danger only on your part.
City dwellers frequently perceive lots of things to be dangerous... the mere presence of a firearm...A child within arms reach of a pc of equipment or a powertool...Picking up a tree branch without donning a pair of gloves.

I was raised on a farm. I live on a farm. I don't like to leave anything to chance. Maybe I wasted my time, but I have spent 100s of hours trying to make my farm cattle proof. We say it all the time on this forum, if there is a way, a cow will use it to get hurt or killed.

True Grit Farms":a81dscqs said:
Ron, my cows are always abused compared to yours. I'm a believer in a Covexin 8 or Calvary 9, because I'd hate to sell an animal and cause someone else problems. But all the other vaccinations are a waste of time and money. IMO I feel like we're just creating super bugs and making the Pharmaceutical companies money. We do follow the BQA guidelines here, but the only reason is for marketing purposes.

Had to smile. Because I was thinking - "If he only knew how right he is!" :D

At the end of the day, I enjoy taking my dogs out into the pasture. I make it a point to spend time with each cow. I carry a brush and brush each one. Some follow me after their turn is done wanting more. :lol:

Edited to add:

Exposure to antibiotics can create resistant bacteria NOT Vaccines. Vaccines increase immune response.

Margonme":3imd53ie said:
True Grit Farms":3imd53ie said:
Ron, my cows are always abused compared to yours. I'm a believer in a Covexin 8 or Calvary 9, because I'd hate to sell an animal and cause someone else problems. But all the other vaccinations are a waste of time and money. IMO I feel like we're just creating super bugs and making the Pharmaceutical companies money. We do follow the BQA guidelines here, but the only reason is for marketing purposes.

At the end of the day, I enjoy taking my dogs out into the pasture. I make it a point to spend time with each cow. I carry a brush and brush each one. Some follow me after their turn is done wanting more. :lol:

Edited to add:

Exposure to antibiotics can create resistant bacteria NOT Vaccines. Vaccines increase immune response.

What happens when you don't give them the booster at 14 days or yearly? Or you give them the booster after the protocol time period? I've done both of these things myself plenty of times. My thinking is any vaccine that needs a booster is capable of letting the virus build up immunity. And If not why do they need a booster?

True Grit Farms":3k4vjpwc said:
Margonme":3k4vjpwc said:
True Grit Farms":3k4vjpwc said:

Edited to add:

What happens when you don't give them the booster at 14 days or yearly? Or you give them the booster after the protocol time period? I've done both of these things myself plenty of times. My thinking is any vaccine that needs a booster is capable of letting the virus build up immunity. And If not why do they need a booster?

First, viruses do not develop immunity. The do develop resistance to antiviral drugs.

Antibiotics are chemicals that disrupt a bacterial function resulting in the death of the bacteria. Over use and inappropriate use of antibiotics may result in bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic. Calling them super-bugs is misleading.

Vaccinations do not work against the virus or bacteria. They work on the cow causing the cow to respond by producing antibodies. When exposed to an infection, the cow has an advantage with a quicker immune response.

Boosters simply increase the immune response measured in titers. Whether you give one or not, the initial vaccination will provide some immunity. Boosters are recommended when clinical trials suggest one vaccination does not provide an adequate immune response.

Notes to remember:
Antibiotics only work on bacteria.
Vaccinations provide immunity against bacteria and viruses.

Margonme":37na3r1m said:
True Grit Farms":37na3r1m said:
Margonme":37na3r1m said:

Edited to add:

First, viruses do not develop immunity. The do develop resistance to antiviral drugs.

Antibiotics are chemicals that disrupt a bacterial function resulting in the death of the bacteria. Over use and inappropriate use of antibiotics may result in bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotic. Calling them super-bugs is misleading.

Vaccinations do not work against the virus or bacteria. They work on the cow causing the cow to respond by producing antibodies. When exposed to an infection, the cow has an advantage with a quicker immune response.

Boosters simply increase the immune response measured in titers. Whether you give one or not, the initial vaccination will provide some immunity. Boosters are recommended when clinical trials suggest one vaccination does not provide an adequate immune response.

Notes to remember:
At our annual CO-OP this year and last we had a representative from one of the drug companies. He said that in 2017 to have antibiotics in our feed and any antibiotics would have to be prescribed by a Vet.

hurleyjd":35xm5yvz said:
Margonme":35xm5yvz said:
True Grit Farms":35xm5yvz said:

Notes to remember:
At our annual CO-OP this year and last we had a representative from one of the drug companies. He said that in 2017 to have antibiotics in our feed and any antibiotics would have to be prescribed by a Vet.

Yes that's called the VFD rule hurleyjd.
Ron can a virus build up an immunity to a vaccine? I assume no, but I'm as lost as cooter brown here.

True Grit Farms":1kp1ghd3 said:
hurleyjd":1kp1ghd3 said:
Margonme":1kp1ghd3 said:

Notes to remember:

Ron can a virus build up an immunity to a vaccine? I assume no, but I'm as lost as cooter brown here.

No. The vaccine causes the cow to produce antibodies to the virus. So the cow is where the immune response occurs. The vaccine may become ineffective if the virus mutates.

Caustic Burno":jmfk36gv said:
greybeard":jmfk36gv said:
I think CityGuy has been out visiting Ma and Pa Kettle's place.
Paw:
"Maw can't do it all and the boys won't help!"
Most likely doesn't even know the Kettles

I bet he does. He is a Vietnam vet. That puts him my age.

Margonme":um9i5wb4 said:
True Grit Farms":um9i5wb4 said:
hurleyjd":um9i5wb4 said:

No. The vaccine causes the cow to produce antibodies to the virus. So the cow is where the immune response occurs. The vaccine may become ineffective if the virus mutates.

Ron is right that a virus can't "build up" immunity. It (as well as bacteria and protozoa) can undergo various changes to their surface proteins which makes it harder for the animal's (or humans) immune system to recognize it as "other" (nonself) and take it out.

Latest posts