Well, she's all black.....

Help Support CattleToday:

What a tempest in a teapot!

Some of you probably already know this, but there is a genome mapping project underway at MARC to identify breed-specific markers. In 2006, they contacted breed associations and requested semen from at least 4 unrelated sires for their study. It will be very interesting if/when they get it figured out! All the skeletons will be outed from all the closets.

They tested the female families in the Thoroughbreds a couple of years ago and found a few discrepencies in the lines about 2-300 years ago. They probably won't have to go back that far to find some ''suprises'' in the cattle deal.

In the Longhorn breed they already know that they are about 80% Spanish stock, about 20% other with other being Hereford, Durham (Shorthorn) and supposedly the Brahman has been bred out but I see some from time to time that show a Brahman influence. There really shouldn't be anything else. If Simmental, Limousin or some of the newer breeds in America (1970's and on up forward) show up then someone has been a little too careless in their breeding programs. In my opinion it's been a little too easy for some of the bulkier beef breeds to creep in for those deeper bodies and also for a little Afrikander or Watusi to get slipped in for those bigger horn bases. I have nothing against cross breeding any breed of cattle as long as you call it what it is. We cross breed some but they are sold as crosses. We are about to put a young Charolais bull on some of our bigger framed, shorter horned Longhorn cows for market calves. We are a registered seed stock operation but in order to keep this going we are going to have to diversify some to help pay the bills.

Those early Spaniards brought them Long Horned cattle to America because :compute: That's what they had :cowboy: Bet if they had access to Black Angus they would have brought Black Angus. :nod:
They sure would have known that the polled cattle would take up less room, and be a whole lot safer for the humans and cattle. And besides a MUCH better eating experience. :welcome:

But those black cattle just couldn't hold up under the extreme conditions. And you are partly right Angus beef is good. I like less fat and waste on mine steak though and I'd rather be feeding lean meat than fat to throw away.

She is a horn cow-not a beef type cow and she's not Angus. I'm not trying to make all of my cattle black. I actually like the variations in color in this breed.

I'm reminded of all that sage range country in our West. Very hot, Much of it receives less the 10 inches precipe per year. Cattle need to cover miles for sparse forage, eating the sage during dry conditions [Summers almost always] Then going often miles for water. Not a tree anywhere, Guess what? almost all cattle are Black Angus.
Summers are short, but that Sun is relentless and daylight is long in that country. Never heard of Black Angus having a tough time dealing with the conditions.
Doubters? Take a road trip up through Colorado, WY, MT and Western Dakotas during July or August

Rustler9":3syp5i3r said:
Hey, whatever works for you. You won't sell me on Angus and I won't sell you Longhorns. To each his own.

Well, I'm not trying to sell Black Angus. Just that I hear over and over that black and heat don't mix and BA don't cope well in adverse conditions, just isn't so. And it's proven over and over, still there are doubters.
Oh Well. :tiphat:

mnmtranching":1jgf2m4a said:
Well, I'm not trying to sell Black Angus. Just that I hear over and over that black and heat don't mix and BA don't cope well in adverse conditions, just isn't so. And it's proven over and over, still there are doubters.
Oh Well. :tiphat:

I guess I'm a doubter. Today is 99 degrees with 78% humidity. It just doesn't get as hot in Colorado, Wy, etc. than down on the gulf coast. The weather channel compared Houston to some desert western town yesterday. When you factor in the humidity, Houston was hotter. People can do as many studies as they want - until you've lived (raised cattle) way down south, you really don't know what your talking about. With all respects, ofcourse. ;-)

Until you spend some time on the Northern Plains during Summer you don't know what your talking about. Plenty of 100 degree weather. No, for sure not the humidity, not even close. Nothing at all to block that Summer sun. I doubt if Black absorbs humidity, I thought it was Sunlight. Besides that, there are plenty of black cattle raised in the tropics. :nod:
I could be wrong but, I think almost :nod: all the talk on these forums about Black Angus not being able to cope with the weather in the South is done by "the Black Angus Bashers" So am I wrong? Anyway, sure doesn't matter to me your preference in cattle breeds, just that I have my doubts. Respects back at you.

No I haven't spent time down there.
My Daughter attended a wedding in Houston this past weekend. She said 98 degrees at 10pm and you could almost drink the air. We don't have anything like that up here.

our summers or hard on angus, temps last week were in the high 90's with the heat index of 105..their body temps peak out around 9 pm then they have the rest of the night too start cooling down providing the night temps or moderate. i use a black angus on brangus cows,

Red Bull Breeder":1a0xtr6d said:
I no a fellar who had a herd of longhorns out in Kansas used a angus bull on them only polled about 50% of the calves.

How is this possible for a polled bull to throw 50% horned calves? I could understand if some had scurs, but 50% with horns???

cypressfarms":1wom2r22 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1wom2r22 said:
I no a fellar who had a herd of longhorns out in Kansas used a angus bull on them only polled about 50% of the calves.

How is this possible for a polled bull to throw 50% horned calves? I could understand if some had scurs, but 50% with horns???

Horns and scurs are different. For him to throw 50% horned calves that means he is heterozgous polled (one dominant, one recessive gene). Therefore, bred to longhorns, which are horned so they have two recessive genes, then resulting offspring would be 50% horned and 50% polled.

Ryan

Maybe there's some Longhorn in that Angus bulls pedigree,He might be a direct decendent of the 1873 Grant crossbreds.

Latest posts