Wagyu - Recessive genetic disorder

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
There is not much info obtainable on the 5 recessive genetic disorders(there may be more) that have been identified in the Wagyu population. The disorders are -
1.Band 3 (Spherocytosis)
2.Chediak Higashi Syndrome
3.CL-16
4.Factor 11 deficiency
5.Factor 13 deficiency

When purchasing Wagyu animals would one insist on a DNA test or are there other methods of ascertaing whether the animal is a carrier? Would these disorders have come about because of the limited parentage in the breed? Should anyone have more info on the subject could they kindly share it.

There isn't allot of info available on the breed period. There may be more info from Japan, but I don't speak or read Japanese, so I wouldn't know.

There is a list of some of the original sires and how they tested for the defects on the American Wagyu site. The tests just recently became available to the public and there hasn't been much testing done, so not much is known. I haven't had a chance to test mine yet, so I have no idea if they are carriers yet. It's going to be up to the breeders to weed out the problems, because it doesn't look like the organization is going to make people test.

Sam you must be BS`en us. You can`t read Japanese? :bs:

I tried it once and let me tell you it`s harder than Chinese Math. :nod:

Circle H Ranch

Thanks Alison, looks like the Australian Association has their act together better than the US.

Bill, on the Australian site they show the 4P bull free of the defects, you can thank me later. :)

Well actually I knew he was free because he was still in the Bar R catalog. For anyone interested in Wagyu semen that is defect free Bar R on the homepage of the American Wagyu Assn. page has a link to download a catalog that has bull that have all been tested free and a few that are good bulls but carriers. If you do not care about the defects the semen is very cheap on some of the carriers. They also have several really good pedigreed bulls in it.

Circle H Ranch

Just got an email back and LMR Yojimbo is free too. :banana:

Latest posts