New Potential Genetic Abnormality Designations For Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
The genetic defect topic has been a hot one here at times so wanted to share this as I know some have been calling for them to do this for years now. I think it is a great move by the AHA to do this in order to be proactive about being transparent with potential carriers and also hopefully forces the hand of some breeders that don't want to DNA test to get their potential carriers tested. Also it provides some protection for buyers that aren't familiar with certain bloodlines or how to properly read a pedigree to have something that alerts them that the animal could be a potential carrier.

Genetic Abnormality - Potential Carrier Designation

During the April 2021 Board of Directors (BOD) meeting of the American Hereford Association (AHA), rules relating to the designation of potential carriers of genetic abnormalities were amended.

Starting July 13, 2021 animals that have an unbroken pedigree link to a confirmed carrier of a genetic abnormality will be designated with the letter "P" for potential carrier. For example, an animal that has an unbroken pedigree link to a confirmed Mandibulofacial Dysostosis Carrier (MDC) parent will show online as Mandibulofacial Dysostosis Potential (MDP).

Animals designated with a "P" will remain listed as potential carriers until the animal is DNA tested either free or as a carrier for the specific genetic abnormality/condition or if the pedigree link to the carrier parent is broke.​

So in summary if you register an animal where either 1 of the parents is a known carrier of a genetic defect or there is a gap in pedigree where a carrier exists more than 1 generation back and the next generation(s) was not DNA tested to confirm if they are free of the defect then until that "chain" in progression is broken with an animal in the ancestry testing free of the defect then any animals on down the line with the potential to be a carrier will get this designation until they are DNA tested.

We've been DNA testing all of our sale bulls for many years now regardless if there is a potential defect in their bloodline and had to DNA test several females in our herd a few years back when the MSUD defect came out. We have one 2 year old female sired by a MD carrier bull that at the time MD was not a known defect when we used the bull AI that will surely get the MDP designation and we already plan to get her DNA tested later this year to know if she is a carrier or not. We're a small herd so doesn't take much effort or expense for us to pull some tail hairs or ear tissue when we run cattle through the chute but I imagine any big herds that have progeny out of some of these bulls that are known carriers are going to have a lot of work ahead of them if they haven't already DNA tested their potential carriers.

I would not be surprised if the next move breed associations eventually consider is to require DNA testing for any calf a breeder wants to register. That could be a hot button topic for some as that is another added cost to maintaining a registered herd. AHA DNA testing including the MD test is $55 per head: https://hereford.org/genetics/dna-testing/ I believe the reason why it costs more with the MD test is because currently they have to send the sample off to a different lab that only does the MD testing which is why if you just want the MD test done it's a stand alone $20 test.

Here's another scary thing, if you run the MDC report on AHA, it limits out at 2000 entries (meaning there's already more than 2000 carriers). Just for S&G, I ran the MDC report on active 2019 cattle, and there are already 415. How many cattle out there are going to be added as MDPs? This is going to be huge.

Here's another scary thing, if you run the MDC report on AHA, it limits out at 2000 entries (meaning there's already more than 2000 carriers). Just for S&G, I ran the MDC report on active 2019 cattle, and there are already 415. How many cattle out there are going to be added as MDPs? This is going to be huge.
Run reports on other defects too and going to get a lot too. MSUD hit a lot of heavily used bloodlines as well and IE and HY have been around a long time too. There still is a lot of cattle out there that are descendants of animals that are known carriers for IE HY and MSUD that have not been DNA tested too that are going to get hit with the P designations I'm sure.

The MD carriers come mostly from anything with Hometown 10Y and his flushmate Homegrown 8Y along with their sire Wonder who were all heavily used bulls then factor in there are multiple sons out there by those bulls who were being used AI too that also are MDC so yeah that defect really got spread around a lot before the source was known. It appears the defect started as a mutation with the Wonder bull as both his parents tested MDF. As far as I am aware MD is not a defect in any other registered breeds so the chances it is not a mutation and came from another breeds genetics as a cross is highly unlikely.

I would not be surprised if the next move breed associations eventually consider is to require DNA testing for any calf a breeder wants to register. That could be a hot button topic for some as that is another added cost to maintaining a registered herd. AHA DNA testing including the MD test is $55 per head: https://hereford.org/genetics/dna-testing/ I believe the reason why it costs more with the MD test is because currently they have to send the sample off to a different lab that only does the MD testing which is why if you just want the MD test done it's a stand alone $20 test.

For those of us who do read the pedigrees and stay away from questionable bloodlines or those herds that continue to use them, that would be an unneeded extra cost. Like you, we test all of our sale bulls. But unlike some breeders, every bull calf we register does not make the cut. I would hate to have to spend the money to test bull calves that might end up as steers.

Latest posts