Unusual Names

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita":z8j7matt said:
kenny thomas":z8j7matt said:
Something about the mining country brings out those names here. I am just out of the mining area and it totally changes
I just thought you might have heard of the place. I spent several weeks in Beckley working in the early 90's. There was a dive near there called the Sugar Shack. I really liked that area where KY, WV, VA, TN and NC are all close. Nice country. Nice girls too.
I am a couple hours from Beckley. I can see the KY state boundry on top of the mountain in front of my house and from the back porch I can see TN.

Yes, Denver, for some reason I overlooked Clever. Years ago, when I was in high school, they had 300 people. Now they are getting ready to open a new Walmart.
Rocky Comfort is another one I forgot about, it is about 60 miles from me, but near a sale barn I go to at Wheaton, Mo.

Stocky wrote.........."On one of the episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies, someone asked Uncle Jed how they ended up in Beverly Hills and he said it wasn't hard, just took a wrong turn at Blue Eye. Blue Eye straddles the Missouri-Arkansas line. The high school baseball field was situated such that if you really hit a ball hard to centerfield, you could hit it all the way "into Arkansas". "

I never knew there was a Blue Eye, MO. I did know about the Clampetts making a wrong turn there. The name "Blue Eye" is also a fictional town where the fictional character Bob Lee Swagger grew up. The fictional Blue Eye was modeled after the town of Mena, Arkansas (another unusual name, after Dutch Princess Wilhelmina). I can't recall if it is mentioned in any of the movies but it is in the books.

Ouachita":1uw02tnh said:
Stocky wrote.........."On one of the episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies, someone asked Uncle Jed how they ended up in Beverly Hills and he said it wasn't hard, just took a wrong turn at Blue Eye. Blue Eye straddles the Missouri-Arkansas line. The high school baseball field was situated such that if you really hit a ball hard to centerfield, you could hit it all the way "into Arkansas". "

I never knew there was a Blue Eye, MO. I did know about the Clampetts making a wrong turn there. The name "Blue Eye" is also a fictional town where the fictional character Bob Lee Swagger grew up. The fictional Blue Eye was modeled after the town of Mena, Arkansas (another unusual name, after Dutch Princess Wilhelmina). I can't recall if it is mentioned in any of the movies but it is in the books.
There sure is a blue eye, and granny clampett also said she was from Taney county, that's the same county I grew up in and now live in the bordering county to the northeast.

kucala5":1v32519z said:
Flippin, AR (formerly known as Goatsville)
Lord this has been many years. Talk about names, I met Rip Van Winkle in Flippin while doing a repair estimate on a company plane. I think it was Ranger Boats. Anyway, I remember him boasting it was the only county in Arkansas without a stop light. Are you near there Kucala?

denvermartinfarms":1sgorza9 said:
They don't call it this anymore, but it was dog patch AR, now it's marble falls again.
I remember going to Dog Patch, AR and to the theme park with same name. That must have been about 1980. First time I ever seen a water slide

Ouachita":3uttanzm said:
denvermartinfarms":3uttanzm said:
They don't call it this anymore, but it was dog patch AR, now it's marble falls again.
I remember going to Dog Patch, AR and to the theme park with same name. That must have been about 1980. First time I ever seen a water slide
Dog patch closed in the early 90s and was left pretty much complete and abandoned. In the last year it has been bought and is being re opened as something simalar, but not really a theme park.

Ouachita":38hqcvc5 said:
kucala5":38hqcvc5 said:
Lord this has been many years. Talk about names, I met Rip Van Winkle in Flippin while doing a repair estimate on a company plane. I think it was Ranger Boats. Anyway, I remember him boasting it was the only county in Arkansas without a stop light. Are you near there Kucala?
I'm sure the only planes in flippin belong to ranger.

denvermartinfarms":16qex9ty said:
Ouachita":16qex9ty said:
kucala5":16qex9ty said:
I'm sure the only planes in flippin belong to ranger.

I've lived in Flippin for 43 years now. We now have 2 stop lights! Rip was a good friend and an excellent pilot. We (Ranger...I'm going on my 35th year) do not own a company plane at this time.

Latest posts