Farm names

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms said:
wbvs58 said:
True Grit Farms said:

I built her in 1982 and she bought and paid for this place.
I like the looks of her Grit but can't get the picture to enlarge. I would like to see more of her.

Ken

She's a glass hull with aluminum superstructure.

A little bigger as this is as big as the software for this site will allow. Nice boat........

B8y7Q63.jpg

Misfit Farms since we started out with everyone's misfits. Steers from my cousin's dairy farm, one with a broken leg. Our American Aberdeens from locals who didn't know how to advertise what they had, and we traded for them. Plus, we're not exactly the normal ones of the family... We're not going down the dairy road so we're first generation beef.
I know it could be a negative connotation, but it's also a conversation item.

Hardnosecattleco said:
My farm name is hard nose cattle company went with that cause everything that I started out was the hard way from cleaning barn by hand pounding post by hand dropping bales on the ground and picking them up with pick ups it just seemed fitting from my beginnings
You described the same beginning for the majority of us..did it then to get too where I'm at now..still doing the same thing to get to another level..time you get to where you want to be.your to old to enjoy it..then the kids run through it like a dose of salts through widder woman...

Most ranches are either named for the old timers who built the place, the brand, or some physical characteristic. The place my wife had in southern Oregon was called the "Oregon End Ranch". Her driveway came out in Nevada. Also Oregon End Butte was on the place. Here the Brunt River runs through our place. The people we bought from called it Burnt River Ranch. I don't know if that name goes back in time or just what they called it.

(Last name) (Breed of cattle) Farm

Any other business we have/had is in no relation to our name, purely marketing angle. But I think a farm name should be from a different approach of name notoriety

:2cents:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
My farm name is Simme Valley - town in Switzerland where the Simmental got it's name. "Valley" in Switzerland is Thal - eventually, they dropped the "h".

Same is true of Neanderthal. The first fossils were found in the Neander Valley of Germany. Thal in German is Valley. But in contemporary use they drop the h.

We are both fire fighters and had a chimney sweep business when we named our farm, thus Fire Sweep Ranch, ...... and the maltese cross for our brand.

ALACOWMAN said:
Hardnosecattleco said:
My farm name is hard nose cattle company went with that cause everything that I started out was the hard way from cleaning barn by hand pounding post by hand dropping bales on the ground and picking them up with pick ups it just seemed fitting from my beginnings
You described the same beginning for the majority of us..did it then to get too where I'm at now..still doing the same thing to get to another level..time you get to where you want to be.your to old to enjoy it..then the kids run through it like a dose of salts through widder woman...

I'm still young yet hoping to keep it the hard way for long as I can just to keep me in shape and remind me of how generations before me did it.

We just took our last name and added "Ranching Ltd." to the end of it.

And by "we" I really mean my grandparents, who eventually sold to my dad, who eventually sold to me....

True Grit Farms said:
wbvs58 said:
True Grit Farms said:

I built her in 1982 and she bought and paid for this place.
I like the looks of her Grit but can't get the picture to enlarge. I would like to see more of her.

Ken

She's a glass hull with aluminum superstructure.
Very nice Grit. Is it some sort of longline fishing for pelagics with that transom door? Is it a planing hull?

Ken

Our farm was always called Maple Grove Farm, but when my grandfather decided to register the name it wasn't available. There was and still is a lot of Gaelic spoken here, they used the translation....Doire Maple Farm. The farmyard is surrounded by 8 acres of large maple trees.
On a side note...the farm has been in my family since the late 1700's.

Foz682 said:
Our farm was always called Maple Grove Farm, but when my grandfather decided to register the name it wasn't available. There was and still is a lot of Gaelic spoken here, they used the translation....Doire Maple Farm. The farmyard is surrounded by 8 acres of large maple trees.
On a side note...the farm has been in my family since the late 1700's.

That's very cool.

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
"Aspirin Acres" for obvious reasons

At one time I thought about Camp Ulcer.

I sometimes joke about calling it Right-of-Way Acres here. an interstate, 2 county roads, three gas/oil pipelines, a railroad, multiple power lines and underground cables, a substation, com towers, and an old Titan missile silo. And google has decided there is an accessible public road past the house which there is NOT. Ever try to correct anything like that? :mad:

Latest posts