Farm names

Help Support CattleToday:

Pecanderosa Ranch came about because my Dad/Aunt/Uncle and Grandpa on their side were all big fans of both the show Bonanza and the pecan orchard.

My grandparents' names were Willie and Amy. Grandpa Willie was a hardscrabble, day-working, share-cropping, tenant-farming, survive-by-the-skin-of-our-teeth-and-the-Grace-of-God farmer and would-be cattleman during the Depression. He was known as a hard worker but could never catch a break, and with ten kids to feed, he never did get ahead in his bank account.

He came up with a brand, the running W-A , and marked all his tools with that. Daddy says he never had any cattle to brand with it. Then Daddy, in the truest form of the American Dream, went on to college and a more comfortable life. He bought his little place in the country and immediately registered the W-A as his brand as a way to pay tribute to his past. Sadly, Willie and Amy passed on and did not see Daddy's success.

Well, fast forward to the 1970's and my presence on the farm. When I saw the brand for the first time I did not understand its significance, and Daddy teasingly told me it stood for the "White Arrow Ranch." Well, even as a kid, I knew that was kind of self-aggrandizing for a little bitty cow outfit like ours, but it became one of our favorite jokes. So we have always called our little place "The White Arrow" though its legal name is the *family name* Family Farm.

Adjacent H land and cattle. First initials of the last name of my family and wife's family. Who by chance live adjacent to one another. My favorite local is Jerry Atricks for the old folks ya know.

Thank you Tennessee. I have been most learning from all you great folks not logged in
Felt like a good time to reset and see if I can return in some small way. And I finally remembered my login.

Well the steer was eaten because he had what I now suspect as diary in him. Just would not
gain. The heifer did well in both Fort Worth and Houston. She is a fine momma cow now. Been using church hill red bull on her thru AI. How do remember that?

Porkchopfat said:
Well the steer was eaten because he had what I now suspect as diary in him. Just would gain. The heifer did well in both Fort Worth and Houston. She is a fine momma cow now. Been using church hill red bull on her thru AI. How do remember that?

I'd like to say I'm just that smart but I'd be lying.

Search function.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Porkchopfat said:
Well the steer was eaten because he had what I now suspect as diary in him. Just would gain. The heifer did well in both Fort Worth and Houston. She is a fine momma cow now. Been using church hill red bull on her thru AI. How do remember that?
That was gonna be my guess.
I'd like to say I'm just that smart but I'd be lying.

Search function.

I got to thinking about this. I know a lot of ranches with names. Some dairies with names. But not a single "farm". I am sure there must be some but none I can think of.

Funny you would say that - my "farm" is actually Simme Valley Ranch. We named it when we lived in Kansas. Everyone called their place a ranch if it was livestock - and a farm, if it was crop farming (back in the 70's).

Porkchopfat said:
Thank you Tennessee. I have been most learning from all you great folks not logged in
Felt like a good time to reset and see if I can return in some small way. And I finally remembered my login.

Welcome back and "Gig'em"
Class of '68

TexasBred said:
Porkchopfat said:

Welcome back and "Gig'em"
Class of '68

Thank you for the welcome back TB. More so thank you for the top notch feed suppliment info you have posted over the years. I have found it to be invaluable.

Hidden Peninsula Farm. We live on a private road that dead-ends on a peninsula of a local lake. Both the road and peninsula are pretty remote.

Latest posts