Dimmitt Tx Dairy Farm Explosion

Help Support CattleToday:

Happened a day ago, they are saying upwards of 18,000 cows were killed. That's crazy!
This morning on ag news, the local officials hypothesized that a piece of machinery got over heated and ignited methane gas.

The leads me to think about the cows farting methane gas and how the climate change cultists are going to scream - "See? We need to get rid of cows." (I do not think farting cows is or should be a concern or even a minor concern.) The cause of the disaster will be under review for a while.

Seems like scientists/inventors should figure out a way to capture the methane and use it for the greater good.
Proable when all of the report is out it will be found that there was a methane collection at the farm and the machinery that moves the gas around to the farm malfunctioned. Methane collection systems is pretty prevelant around the larger farms.

Proable when all of the report is out it will be found that there was a methane collection at the farm and the machinery that moves the gas around to the farm malfunctioned. Methane collection systems is pretty prevelant around the larger farms.
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like there were ventilation issues. I would expect some lawsuits to follow on behalf of employees. If a machine will light the air on fire, the air quality was not good for humans, either. I'm surprised they do not have alarms checking air quality. OSHA is about to destroy them.

In O&G we have a deadly gas called H2S. A company we used to help treat our gas also treated the San Antonio sewer system. They have to follow the same protocols as every one else because of the gasses, including h2s, in deadly quantities, in the sewer system.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like there were ventilation issues. I would expect some lawsuits to follow on behalf of employees. If a machine will light the air on fire the air quality was good for humans, either. I'm surprised they do not have alarms checking air quality. OSHA is about to destroy them.

In O&G we have a deadly gas called H2S. A company we used to help treat our gas also treated the San Antonio sewer system. They have to follow the same protocols as every one else because of the gasses, including h2s, in deadly quantities, in the sewer system.
Sounds like a ventilation thing to me as well.

I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like there were ventilation issues. I would expect some lawsuits to follow on behalf of employees. If a machine will light the air on fire, the air quality was not good for humans, either. I'm surprised they do not have alarms checking air quality. OSHA is about to destroy them.

That's a lot of assumptions considering we don't know very much at this point. I saw on another forum a text message exchange from a person who works in the sheriff's office that apparently a tractor caught on fire, the employee left the tractor to call 911 and when he returned the flames were on the ceiling which ignited the methane gas line. But I still consider that hearsay until the investigation is complete.

In my mind, it is a miracle that only one employee was injured.